Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Yes, it was Bad Beat. She said something about the new girl stuff because Mac had her in the dumpster. I totally can't remember what she said. "When is this new girl stuff going to wear off." Something like that and then when she found the gun: Somebody threw away a perfectly good shotgun.

I love that episode (poor Joel, I thought he was cute) and I actually did like her in the dumpster (of course she was working with Mac). I also liked where she joked with Mac about searching through the lube. Something like, "Lemme know what you find." Upbeat Lindsay was tolerable. I also liked her shooting the bow in Stuck on You. Why did they have to change her so much?

:lol: :lol: So true.

Why does it seem that everyone from the midwest is dying to go to NYC or any big city? Although it took her three years to realize it. :rolleyes:

2. privatename

privatename Rookie

I am really glad they changed the name. And from the description it is hard for me to tell whether I would have liked her or not -- for me it would have all come down to the actress playing the part and how well she played it.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Excellent points, everyone. :)

I definitely think making excuses for the character and actress need to stop. Yes, there has been shitty writing, but that doesn't excuse the actress from doing her best with the material. Yes, there has been crappy acting, but that doesn't excuse the writers from having to bring the character across. In season 2, she was 'new', and in season 3 Anna was pregnant--what's the excuse going to be for season 4?

I don't totally blame Anna, but I don't totally blame the writers either. Both are responsible for the character, and when I'm talking about the character I've got both in mind. I'm not trying to insult Anna as a person, but if someone is meant to be a professional actress with a sooper-speshul degree, it would be nice if I didn't curl my lip watching her on tv.

I watched a clip of "Medical Investigation" and had to stop it after ten seconds. Yes, I loved the show, and I was excited to see someone from there on NY (although I honestly thought it meant the blonde woman from MI)--but damn, ten seconds of Eva in that particular clip made me curl my lip and stop it. So while she might have been better in that role, which was two-dimensional anyway, I still wasn't totally thrilled.

The descriptions of Summer/Lindsay could be accurate at certain points, but they should be accurate all of the time. Consistency would be nice, you know?

4. Danistheman

Danistheman Prime Suspect

IMO there has got to be a lot of truth in this explanation. Some have suggested that the blame should be shared between the writers and the actress, but after starting to watch Season 1 for the 3rd time, I can't see another actor/actress that has been badly written for. Yes, maybe some of the writing team has changed but surely not to this extent? I am now starting to really believe that there is only 1 reason why so many dislike Lyndsey Monroe and the effects that her character has had on other characters and storylines... and that is Anna Belknap's lack of acting skills.

5. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

Fourth time posting this, and now this is really making me angry.

I've been looking for a place to rant about this particular train wreck again, so i was very happy to be browsing the threads this fine morning and stumbling upon it =]

Lindsay Monroe started out at a tough Montana girl, and i really did like her at first. That opinion quickly evaporated by just watching the season...she went from tough girl, to whiny petulant brat, to lovesick over danny, to emo over her dark secret...she bounced all over the place, and none of it made sense. Her personality changes every episode, and it makes her inconsistent and unlikeable. In Manhattan Manhunt, she whines about being sent back to the lab away from a room of slaughtered teens, but then runs crying from a room with a dead girl, which she has seen almost every episode, this time citing her deep dark secret. Not only is it annoying, it makes her an even more unlikeable and (for me at least) a more hated character. At Daniel Katums trial, i was rooting for him to get off so he could finish the job he started. I felt nothing for her as she retold the tragic story of her friends' murders, and in a storyline where i should have had some feeling for the character, i wanted to fast forward out of the scene. The inconsistencies of the storyline, weak writing and weak acting made me wonder if the writers were even taking this seriously-what happened to the writers that made Danny Messer? that created the tough girl Stella? that penned great episodes like Officer Blue? Its hard to tell whether Anna Belknap's shortcomings warped their writing to fit what little character she could muster, or if the writing was so weak that it left her just too little to work with and nothing to salvage. I haven't seen Anna Belknap in anything else, so i cant really forge an opinion on whether or not shes just having a lot of bad days in a row..but that fact that she had to plead with Hill Harper to get him to put in a good word so she would get the job isnt promising. Maybe a better actress could pull off her role, but its clear that Anna Belknap isn't that actresss.

I have a friend that loves Lindsay, and loves D/L, and says the only reason i hate her is because she "replaced" Aiden, or that shes in a romance with Danny. That seems to be what most DL supporters think about Lindsay haters-that we are too grief stricken by the demise of a truly charismatic and wonderful character like Aiden and so we cant accept anyone else who comes in her place, or that we hate that Danny Messer is with Lindsay, not another character, and so we hate Lindsay. Yeah, i absolutely loved Aiden and was devastated when she was killed off. She brought a warm feeling to the show, interacted well with all the characters, and was a likeable character. She had chemistry, REAL chemistry, not only with Danny but with all of the CSIs and Flack. It never seemed like a strain for Vanessa Ferlito to interact with another actor, or portray a feeling or situation. In just one season, Aiden made more of an impact than Lindsay has, and she didnt need a crappy "deep dark secret" or a love interest to make her likeable or to keep her on the show. Anna's lines however always seem forced, read blatantly from a script with no emotion. Her acting doesnt pack any punch, and in a cast where every other character does, it shows. No Lindsay supporter can really give me a good reason why i should like her, save for the fact that "she's so nice and cute" or "Anna's done really good acting things in other tv shows". I don't care what she has done outside of CSI, its not those acting jobs im critiquing, its CSINY . And was has she really brought to the show, besides destroying the once vibrant character of Danny Messer and getting him naked on a pool table? Whenever i criticize DL, a Lindsay supporter instantly jumps up and says im targeting Lindsay, even if i simply say "i hate D/L". I could be hating either character, but Lindsay is always the first one people think of. Even Lindsay supporters seem to know that the only think holding her up is that relationship, and so they fight for it. I could deal with D/L if it was a mature adult relationship (which it isnt), had good chemistry (which it doesnt), and brought something vibrant to the show (which it wont). Look at Mac and Peyton-the two of them have great chemistry, and Peyton can stand on her own as an independant and strong character. I prefer Stella and Mac, but i can deal with M/P because its mature and i can believe it. Lindsay couldnt stand on her own without Danny-shes like a leech needed a host to survive. If it wasnt him, it would be someone else. Right now, all she seems to be doing is taking up space as Danny's girlfriend, and stealing time from other characters who deserve it, like Hawkes, Adam, or Sid. Adam and Sid are reoccuring characters, not even main ones, and have made more of an impact that Lindsay has.

It's frustrating to see her episode after episode, and nothing changes. Surely SOMEONE working on the show can see what shes doing to it?

....kind of long...sorry...i've been waiting for this thread to come back for a while. =]

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^That's a great post! Without going too far into why supporters think we hate her, I think the argument that it's because she replaced Aiden is so tired. I loved Speed on Miami way more than I ever did Aiden, but now I love Ryan, too. Replacement has nothing to do with it. Of course a new character was going to come in. It just should have been a good character.

As for wanting to see Danny paired with someone else--I'm pretty indifferent as to Danny's romantic life. I think he and Flack have the best chemistry, but one, it's never going to happen and two, I could see it being one-sided on Flack's part since he's the one always looking out for/staring at Danny. So if I was going to get upset about something "sinking" my ship, it would be the idea of Flack having a girlfriend or flirting with Angell, which I'm not. I'm actually really excited about the latter. As for Danny, I think he has better chemistry with any other woman on the show, but that's beside the point. What I don't like about the D/L pairing is that it's taken away from the intensity of and great stories for Danny's character.

cSiNyFrEaK30, you nailed it when you called Lindsay a "leech." She really is. She's leeched off Danny because she can't stand on her own. It's a shame because Danny is a great character who didn't need a romance to prop him up. I hope his development isn't going to be limited to this lame romance from here on out.

As for Lindsay the character being crafted to fit Anna--yeah, I really think she was. She's such a contrast (in a bad way) to all the vibrant, attractive characters on the show. Summer Hamilton might have fit in. Lindsay doesn't.

7. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

Yep, yep and yep. She doesn't strike me as actually being a character. All the others have their quirks, their own way, their own presence, but Lindsey, she just seems like a lame filler for whatever the writers feel like doing with her at the time. Maybe it is because Anna's strengths don't lie with the drama and stay more with the slightly comedic that she's kind of up and down and all over the place. Jees, it must be hella PMT to be causing the kind of mood swings her character has pulled, mainly in season 3.

I was really prepared to like her at first and Zoo York seemed a promising start. I never really felt much for Aiden so can't say that I disliked her as a replacement and I know that Danny and Flack will never get jiggy with it on screen, so it's not that either.

I'm more than happy for Danny to have a female interest, it's just got to be the right person. It just seems all too forced. I'm bloody annoyed at Danny the Lindsey prop, it's like he's being used as a crutch to aid her lack of presence and force people to like her through the Danny connection.

Not working though, is it??

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

That's hitting the nail on the head. Lindsay sucks the life out of scenes, other characters and the show itself. As for her being "nice and cute," I'm still waiting for anyone who likes Lindsay - not D/L but Lindsay - to convincingly explain how her overall character can be described this way.

It doesn't matter if it's the writing, the acting or a combination of both. The bottom line is that a character who the audience is supposed to like has turned off some of the audience to the point that some are turning off their TVs.

I saw a promo for reruns of CSI: NY on SPIKE yesterday. The tag line was something like "the bloodier, ballsier CSI." If only that were still the case.

9. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

*blinks* cSiNyFrEaK30, dude, you totally just said exactly what I wanted to, but I suck at writing my feelings down. :p Awesome post. :eek:

And yes, I'm baffled that the writers/producers/whoever haven't noticed that Anna makes Lindsay the most boring character ever and doesn't bring anything to the show. Or maybe they have, but why they aren't doing anything about it is beyond me. I wonder what Carmine thinks. I probably would have cracked by now if I was him.

Everytime Danny and Lindsay are on the tv I want to throw the remote at the screen. They have NO chemistry. How can no one notice that!? Seriously, all I get from Lindsay is: 'Omgz! *squee* I like, so totally have a crush on you but you make things too complicated. Like omg, I can't be with you because I have a DEEP DARK SECRET. Totally top secret. *sigh* *sad face*' :pCorrect me if I'm wrong, because I'm not an advid watcher but that's part of the reason why Lindsay didn't go with Danny right? Cause of her secret? Or maybe I'm just imagining that. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Wow, that sucks for Hill! That's what he gets for being such a nice friend. Eh.

*still totally confused as to how the whole show could be so naive*

Edit: I have a question. I swear I read somewhere that the scene with Lindsay in court asked for her to shed a tear, but Anna couldn't even do that. Is that true? Because if that is that's just stupid. Even I can fake cry.

10. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

I've been having a chat with my daughter tonight about the whole Lindsey sham.......(you know, my daughter's name is lynsey and she's too embarrased to post in here with THAT name...lol)

We've come to the conclusion that she's the piece of the jigsaw puzzle that no-one misses......ya know, the one missing piece in the top right hand corner of sky that you can really live without.....

If it were any other character they'd be bang in the middle and the missing piece that you really needed to see the big picture......

11. cSiNyFrEaK30

That's a great comparison--i was just thinking of that too. A good character is one that, when not on screen or when removed from the show, you miss, and realize how much of an impact they had on the others and the show itself. With Lindsay there wouldn't be a thing out of place if she were to disapear...save for a few episodes of Danny's emotional trauma of her leaving...(or maybe just one, if we follow the show's past record on consistency :rolleyes:)

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

The three episodes she was gone from were so enjoyable--it was like the irritating shadow had disappeared from the show. The team felt cohesive and she wasn't missed. If Stella or Danny or Flack or any of the others went away for three episodes, they'd definitely be missed. Not Lindsay. I enjoyed her absence, and until we were stuck with her coming back, there was no mention of her.

The fact that she needs Danny to prop her up is evidence enough for me that she's not working as a character. What other character needs a romance to prop them up? Other than her dark secret--and we saw how well that played out--there's been no real development for her. She's two-dimensional and flat.

What does irritate me about D/L is how Danny was changed and molded to fit into it. Because he's being used a prop, his character has suffered. If he'd been put into a romance with a character who was complete in her own right, I don't think we'd feel that way. But because she's so shoddy, they've had to alter him to fit the romance. And that is a shame.

13. cSiNyFrEaK30

Thats a thing that i really like about Mac and Peyton--their relationship is like the older, mature version of D/L, with a hell of a lot more chemistry. Peyton and Mac are a good fit, the actors interact well, and the characters play nicely off each other-neither one had to compromise to fit the idea of a romance. When Mac talks to Peyton, it isnt googly eyed puppy love Mac, its the real Mac Taylor--and thats a big thing D/L is missing. If Anna or Lindsay worked better with Carmine or Danny, the idea wouldn't have to be so butchered and twisted on both characters parts just so we could see two main characters in love.

14. kimmekimmekimme

kimmekimmekimme Victim

lindsay must go..
    well i have nothing against anna belknap
    but her character (for me) doesn't make any sense..
    her relationship with danny doesn't have the magic that we are looking for a couple..
    and besides danny should focus as well with his best friend who's been there all along...

15. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

I was talking with Faylinn today, and an interesting point came up that I thought I'd share with you all.

Remember that Carmine/Danny thread for serious discussion of the actor/character?

No? Really, you don't?

Well, I don't blame you. The thread literally disappeared into nothingness until Joolz very recently asked where it had gone, and MrsGiovinazzo had to actually search for it and link to it just so people could post in it again. That, my friends, says a great deal.

During seasons one and two, that thread was very alive and well. Everyone had something good and contemplative to say about Carmine/Danny. Most posts were paragraphs long, with ample food for thought about Danny's development from the beginning of the show as well as Carmine's acting capabilities. But now, after season three and going into season four ... nobody's posted anything in that thread (save for Joolz's and MrsG's recent posts). I don't think it's a coincidence at all that the serious discussion dwindled to nada in correlation to Lindsay joining the team and D/L cropping up.

I'm gonna be bloody honest when I say it's the fault of Lindsay and the whole D/L fiasco on the show that Carmine/Danny serious discussion has become a thing of the past. Nothing much you can say when a fantastic character has been hacked up and assassinated just to fit in a lousy character, can you? Nothing much to say either when it's evident to the eye that an actor's abilities are being hampered and tied down by a lame attempt of a storyplot just to get more viewers. You know things are f***ed when it's gone from having oodles to talk about Danny's past, his family and his ties to the Tanglewood Boys to just, "OMG, R LINDSAY N DANNY GONNA STAY TOGETHA?!!1?"

WTF, man, there is (or dare I say it, was) so much more to Danny than that!

And what pisses me off most, is that all of Carmine's hard work and effort into building Danny as an amazing, believable and unique character ... is now permanently down the crapper thanks to what's been done to his character. I dunno about you guys, but for all of Carmine's work invested in Danny, all I can think of now when I think of Danny is 'that detective who's lost his balls who lets a selfish, immature cowgirl treat him like cowpie.'

That's the biggest injustice to come out of all this. :mad:

What do you guys think about this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.