HP And The Deathly Hallows ~ * BEWARE MAJOR SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Jul 23, 2007.

1. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

As much as I hated to see the death of Lupin and Tonks and think it was the right thing for JK to do! I mean a part from the weasleys (apart from Fred) and Hagrid -well lets face it you just can't kill him! There was know one REALLY left to care for or save Harry anymore which made ending even more better! Do you know what I mean?

2. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

I think it was all about the disarming. Don't know if I can explain it, but I'll try. Dumbledore was the wand's rightfull owner. When Draco disarmed him just before Snape killed him Draco became the new owner (unknowingly). So Draco's Elder Wand was put in Dumbledore's tomb. When Harry disarmed Draco in the Malfoy Mansion he became the owner of both Draco's wands. Voldemort took the wand out of the tomb and killed Snape whom he still believed was the owner. When he used the Avada Kedavra on Harry it backfired because the wand recognized and couldn't hurt Harry, its owner.

That's at least what I figured out after reading those parts several times. :D

I agree. I blamed him for a lot of deaths too when I found out what important information he had kept from too many people. Of course it was all done for the greater good, but still the fact that he was really dead and died as a victim of his own manupilating felt like a necessary redemption.

3. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

I understand that Rowling had a point in killing Lupin and Tonks and was trying to parallel Harry’s orphaned upbringing, but I just felt she missed a larger meaning with these two minor characters as far as repressed minorities went. Of course it’s impossible to argue with the creator, but in the span of 10 pages that the Lupins graced Deathly Hallows, I never thought of them as parental figures fighting for their child. I thought of it as Lupin finally being able to have a semi-normal life with a family despite his lycanthropic stigma, and Teddy as result of this socially unacceptable union between two outcasts. I just felt the author was going one way with these two characters and then suddenly diverted to another storyline at the last minute.

Now while I seriously adored Arthur Weasley; he was the series surrogate father figure. He was fighting for what was right and also for his children. I just thought I would have felt more for the children and the loss of a parent. I would have also found it interesting to see how the family would have coped during wartime, and made something more of the relatively non-existent Charlie Wealsey (lol I’ll admit it, I would have liked to have seen more of him). So yeah, I thought she should have kept her decision to kill off Arthur and leave the Lupins alive. They were so close, lol.

But again it’s her book and obviously Teddy had a very much loved upbringing.

I felt, however, that the role was almost reversed between Harry and Hagrid by the end of the series. At the beginning Harry very much relied on Hagrid to help him through the wizarding world from getting school supplies to getting the photo album of his parents. By the end Harry was almost taking care of Hagrid like one would a child. He was no longer dependent on the half-giant.

But by the end of the book, Harry also didn’t need anyone to take care of him. He had grown into his own and no longer had to have anyone hold his hand. He was his own man.

Yeah I know and it’s that gray definition of the “greater good” that bites, lol. He believed in his cause against Voldemort, understood what it meant…I just wish he had the same faith in his followers that they had in him.

Lol I’m a little curious if Moody and Dumbledore ever met up in the afterlife, and the truth came out about the rescue mission. I can’t see Mister Constant Vigilance being exactly happy to have gotten AKed in the face thanks to Dumbledore leaving out some important info. :rolleyes:

Or Mrs. Weasley. She was sending the majority of her family in there, and we read how she flipped out at Bellatrix in the end. :lol:

4. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Exactly!

I loved Mrs W at the end- it had me in stiches!

5. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

I couldn't agree more with you, SimplyBlue! Charlie had far too little... erm... script time, can you say that? *lol* I had hoped to find out more about him, but nope... nothing. Was he even there when his family was crying over Fred?

I was disappointed that Lupin and Tonks had to die, I absolutely agree with that, this whole "making Ted an orphan"-thing was a bit "forced", like she thought she had to do it just for the sake of killing off main characters.

I still don't like that 19years later part, but I'm glad that J.K. gave at least some information on how the characters went on after the war. I had hoped for a ceremony for the dead, like it had been for Cedric, would have been fair, wouldn't it? And c'mon, one more chapter wouldn't have killed her! ;)

Well, I keep watching Tribute videos and cry my heart out - I still can't really believe that it's finally over, and that my favourite characters are really dead... :(

6. touchcookies

touchcookies Witness

Ok I totally didn't get that Tonks and Lupin were dead at first. It said they could have been sleeping so that's what I thought they were doing. Why did she have to kill so many characters off? Or disfigure them. I mean losing an ear? Strange.

In the 19 years later chapter why was Tonks and Lupins son at the train? he would have been a little over 19 years old so he wouldn't have been going to hogwarts. And I didn't like the way it ended because she finished it right at the bottom of the page and it didn't really sound final so I flipped the page expecting there to be one last page to read and I was extremely disappointed. I also didn't like how it so abruptly changed from them being like 17 to them being like adults and I had a very hard time envisioning them with kids. I kept seeing them as seventeen year olds with kids which is a very odd image in my mind.

7. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

That would perhaps have been wiser. The orphan parallel got somewhat lost because of the little info we had about the Lupin and Tonks' married life and about Teddy's childhood.

The death of Arthur or Molly would've been much more dramatic/traumatic and then the 'Nineteen years later' chapter with all of them being parents and understanding what it is to fight and even die for your children would've made a nice parallel too.

He wasn't. He was seeing Victoire off.

8. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

I turned my older sister into a Harry Potter fan. She read book 1 all the way through book 7 in a month. She finished the series on August 16. I never thought she would read them. She liked book 7 the best.

9. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

J. K. Rowling at Carnegie Hall Reveals Dumbledore is Gay; Neville Marries Hannah Abbott, and Much More.

Tonight, the one thousand grand prize winners of the Scholastic's Open Book Tour Sweepstakes along with a companion got the chance to see Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling read from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," answer questions and sign books at New York City's Carnegie Hall. We have exclusive information this evening on the myriad of "Deathly Hallows" questions she answered as well as in-depth details on a number of subjects she spoke about.

More here.

10. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

This article made me LMFAO. It's kind of... ridiculous. I don't care about people's sexual orientation, so I don't think it's important to know whether Dumbledore is gay or straight. The magic in his character is the fact that we know so little about him. JMO, though.

11. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Rowling completes Potter spin-off.

Author JK Rowling has completed a set of handwritten fairytales which were mentioned in her last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Read here.

12. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Thanks for the link!

By the way I love your icon :D

13. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

You're welcome and thanks @ the icon, who doesn't love Adam? ;)

14. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

What do you guys think about this? I don't really have anything to say. The story is over. I don't think we need a 8th book. The HP books were about defeating Voldemort. It's oooover.

15. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

I agree with you, SB. I don't see the need of an 8th book either. Everything's said, either in the books or in the interviews. And honestly, the last chaper sucked and what are the chances that an 8th book would be like it? No, I don't think she should do that. She's made enough money - and for us fans, there's plenty of great fanfiction!