Forensic fiction

Hrockz

Coroner
Anyone has any recommendations on any good fiction books, dealing with forensics or something similar to like CSI series or Bones?

And I'm not refering to the general mystery, thriller kind of books, or CSI books.

Hey guys. :)

As this isn't about CSI I'm going to move it over to Forensic Science for you. Thanks. :)

*Moved*

Hrockz, two ideas for forensics mysteries...

The Temperance Brennan mysteries from Kathy Reichs that the series "Bones" is based on. Only character similar to the show is Brennan herself. From her website, author Kathy Reichs "is a forensic anthropologist for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of North Carolina, and for the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Quebec. She is one of only fifty forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. A professor of anthropology at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Dr. Reichs is a native of Chicago, where she received her Ph.D. at Northwestern. She now divides her time between Charlotte and Montreal and is a frequent expert witness in criminal trials."

Gideon Oliver mysteries by Aaron Elkins. Oliver is an anthropology professor in the state of Washington, but quite often ends up in other parts of the country or the world. A short lived TV series ran for five episodes in 1989 starring Louis Gossett Jr. in the title role.

thanks Dyanomo exactly what I'm looking for. I love to watch 'Bones' too btw. I just started watching it and I'm hooked. I'll get my brother to head to the library and get those books you recommended. He passes the library everyday on his way home from work.

I forgot to mention one more book. Even though the main character of Bones is based on Reich's books, there is one paperback based on all the TV series characters of Bones, written by Max Allan Collins who wrote several CSI books, called "Bones: Buried Deep."

Thanks actually I don't really want books based on TV shows like the CSI story books. The ones by Reichs seems ok cos the books came first, you know like reading the Harry Potter books before watching the movies.

Thanks again!

I read books by Patricia D. Cornwell. Her Kay Scarpetta series is awesome. She is a M.E. in Virgina and her book "The Body Farm" is about the farm that Dr. Bill Bass started. The farm is showcased in the fifteenth episode of season two. ----> Burden of Proof

A book I am almost done with that you might enjoy is a book called "Every Contact Leaves a Trace" it is actually non-fiction but it is a really neat and intriguing book. It is by a lady named Connie Fletcher. ALSO forensic fiction: I don't know if anybody else here has already recommended this. A book called "Trace Evidence" by a lady named Elizabeth Becka. IF I am correct she had written several forensic fiction books if you like this one. Hope that is useful. If you want more recommendations, let me know.

There's an awesome fiction book called The Dollhouse Murders and I love it because it's so much like the miniature killer in a way. A real-life detective worked with a modelmaker to create miniatures of either six or seven cases and the stories walk you through the detective's work solving the cases. (note there's also a juvenile book called The Dollhouse Murders that's more of a horror story, don't confuse the two.)

I've been wanting to check out Elkins; was alerted to him when the library I work at had Old Bones as a book club selection.

A good pair though geared for younger readers are Crime Files: Four Minute Forensic Mysteries with CSI Wes Burton. Not adult reading as I said but interesting just the same.

I noticed a series where I work called Trace but it was a young adult series involving a future setting, young CSI and a robot thing, not really what I initially thought it was.

*makes notes on other suggestions so she can check for them*

thanks I'm really enjopying those books by Kathy Reichs. It's interesting to see how differect the book and TV (Bones) characters are although they're the same person.

Those books got me hooked on Bones too.

Whether they're the same or not is up for debate...Reichs has said something to that effect but the backgrounds are so different that I don't think they are the same myself.

Back