HP And The Deathly Hallows ~ * BEWARE MAJOR SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

This thread is for those of you who have already read the new book and wish to discuss what happened without the use of spoiler code. :)

WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS.

For anyone who has NOT yet finished the book I strongly suggested that you do not enter this thread - you will be spoiled. There is another thread for those of you who do not wish to be spoiled Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows ~ *NO SPOILERS*

There is no need for spoiler code in this thread, you can discuss freely what has happened in the book.

Enjoy. :)

2. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

A lot of people died in this book. I didn't want Tonks to die, she was cool. What did you guys think about the 19 years later chapter? I didn't like it that much because I wanted Harry to be with Hermione.

3. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I hated the 19 years later chapter, I thought that she was trying to carry on the story rather then let the readers sort of end it for themselves. However I thought the in the rest of the book I thought she had everything come together nicely. All of the mystery about why Harry and Voldemort are so similar. Everything had very good continuity and a great ending to a great series.

I actually became depressed after the book was finished I feel like a small part of me died.

4. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

i thought that overall the book was a bit of anti climax.
    i felt that the first 20 odd chapters were a bit like there for the sake of it. Donnt me wrong i thouroughly enjoyed it but parts were just a little dragged out.
    on the 19 years later i thought it was definately out of place. First of all why 19 years later? i liked the way she ende it with the "i've had enough trouble for one lifetime" because it was a happy note to end on and we could have then had our own views on Harry's future because each person has their own interpretation of things. E.g. sidlewannabe thinks Harry and Hermione should be together others may think differently.
    i feel JK Rowling has made this book draw to a definate end prematurely because if she had missed out the epilogue there was always the possibility that Harry may return. For me however that does not seem at all likely.

5. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I agree she did not need the 19 years later chapter. Although I did like Ginny and Harry together and Ron and Hermione together.

There were a lot of deaths, but I was glad none of the so-called really major characters died, although loosing Fred was a tearjerker, along with Tonk and Lupin who just had a baby.

6. YumSnickers

YumSnickers Victim

I really liked the book and the epilogue, I don't know, it could've been way better, but it was still nice to see them having a normal life with their kids. I would've like to know what their jobs were and if the rest of the Weasleys had kids :confused:
    And what the hell with Fred's death?! :( It was sad enough that it happened, but it was barely mentioned! There should've been more description of how everyone reacted. "George was kneeling near his head" or something like that. ??!! He's his twin and his best friend for Christ's sake!!
    The same goes for Lupin and Tonks. The only thing we know about their deaths is that they were lying there in the Great Hall.

But what made it all better: the R/Hr moments!! :D Finally we got the kiss. And I swear I was crying like an idiot the moment Ron came back and saved Harry's life :D

7. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

My mom didn't read it but I told her all about it because I needed to talk to someone, she did read the 19 years later part and she thought it was cute, anyway she said J K Rowling just created herself another series, Harry Potter's kids at Hogwarts.

I thought the 19 years later chapter was very out of place, I like how she tried to show Harry's life in the future but, she didn't have to do it that way. I started crying at chapter 33, where Harry sees that Snape was really a good guy. I thought Harry was going to die in Chapter 34.

How long did it take you guys to read the book. I forced myself to stay up and read it when I got it. It took 16 long hours to read it for me, but it was worth it in the end?

8. YumSnickers

YumSnickers Victim

I did the same thing. It took me something like 14 hours to finish I think and totally worth it, cause once I had started I was not going to stop :p My brother would come every now and then and couldn't believe that I was still reading lol

9. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

Well, I just finished the book rather uncomfortably. (My dad was changing the oil in his car, and I decided for some weird reason taht I was going to finish the book in the front seat of the car without any air conditioning, I felt disgusting after I had finished) but in the end I think it took me probably oh, 16 hours to finish it in the end.

It was my favorite book in the series to be honest. I mean, I really did like the 6th one, but the 7th would have to be my favorite.

I so balled my eyes out every time someone or something died. Infact, now that I think about it, the book was filled with dying. I cried extremly hard when Dobby died though, but cried the hardest when I found out Tonks and Lupin had died. I was out for coffee with my dad, and I was making a huge scene in this public place, because well, I started gasping for air because I was crying so hard. (Yes, maybe I take this book way to seriously, but what can I do about that :p)

Oh, and I cried pretty hard when Harry died, but didn't die, mainly because I thought he was actually dead (a friend this morning, now I realize was trying to be clever or something, but at the time didn't, told my Harry died, I was furious with her cause I believed her, and she didn't lie, but didn't explain that he lived) but yeah, I thought Harry was seriously dead there.

And to be honest, I liked the 19 years later part. Haha, I was happy to find out all the Harry Potter characters I wanted to be together ended up being together. And to find out all the childrens names and stuff. It could have been done better, or worse, but I really liked it just the way it was.

10. sHiNNizLe

sHiNNizLe Rookie

Me too :rolleyes:.. No wonder I'm feeling down these couple of days.

I like the book..Really really like..It's sort like diff from previous books. They start all the action in the second chapter and there's no space for boredome at all. Hermione as usual show her usefullness in the gang,Ron with his insecurities and Harry with his selfless self. It feels like a familiar surrounding.But like most of the people here, I think the 19 years later part is kinda corny. :rolleyes: There is a few question I want to ask but I forgot it. :eek: I guess I hve to reread the book again to remind myself the question.. :D :D

11. carlz31

carlz31 Coroner

I agree, the whole 19 years later thing was a bit too much, but since she did it, I wished she'd done it in a bit more detail. You know, what everyone else was doing, what their jobs were, a little about what had actually happened in the last 19 years, that kinda stuff just to completely round it off. But still it was kinda nice that it was there.

So many more characters died than I thought. But the most sad for me were Lupin, Tonks and Fred.. Lupin was probably my favourite non-main character. Heck, he might've been my favourite character of all. I just really liked him, and it was just so sad that he died, even though no details were actually given. I didn't cry when anyone died but when Fred, Lupin and Tonks died, I was so stunned. It was such a shock, and they were not who I expected.

I actually really liked the chapters where Harry was walking into the Forest to die. I thought they were really well done, especially with James, Lily, Lupin and Sirius with him. That was probably one of my favourite bits, aside from just how sad that situation would actually be...

All in all, I thought it was a really good way to end the series, and pretty much all lingering questions I had throughout the series finally got answered. At least she knows continuity :D

Oh, that reminds me. A fews days before it come out, I was reading something about what kidns of things were going to be in it, and I saw that J.K Rowling said that "There is a character who does manage, in desperate circumstances, to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare..." (or something like that), but I can't remember who it was, and I wasn't really paying attention to that. Does anyone else know?

12. Need4Speed

Need4Speed Coroner

i know!! so many people died!! i didn't want Lupin and Tonks to die and leave their son behind! and poor Fred!!! :( i cried so hard!! and Moody!! and i can't believe i was wrong about Snape! he really was good. i'm ashamed for thinking such horrible things. and i hated the 19 years later because i agree with you sidlewannabe! i wanted Harry and Hermione to be together!! this book like totaly destroyrd my ships!! Ron/Luna, Harry/Hermione, Tonks/Lupin.

but on another note......YAY!!! Voldemort's dead!!! and Harry's still alive!!!! yay!!! whoo!!!!!!

13. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

-I didn't like the epilogue either,there was no need for it,it was redundant,we already knew that Harry liked Ginny and Ron/Hermione so what was the point?

-I missed Hogwarts,the schoolyear and all that stuff.

-I didn't like the "happy-ending",maybe not killing Harry but making him lose his powers and become a muggle or something...

-I felt very disappointed about the whole Snape thing,he was my fav character and everybody expected him to die and then discover he was good afterall,so I expected something more original...And Dumbledore really sold him,he put him in an impossible situation where he was going to be killed by LV or by the Order...Dumbledore could at least told someone that he was on the good side,tried to help him somehow...But he used him and didn't mind at all.

-In fact Dumbledore changed from a lovely old guy to a manipulative one that didn't mind how many died to get what he wanted...Not that I mind though but I don't understand why Harry and the rest still admiring him at the end,he wasn't that "good"...

14. mugs

mugs Witness

i had it finished in about 10 hours lol

i thought only 2 people died but i counted 5 :(

this was one of my favourtes in the series. a brillent end i think.

i really wanted tonks and lupen to make it :(

i really like the say that she gave closer to the stories surround people like snape.

i kept thinking about what the film was going to be like. i personal think it will be the best.

15. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I forgot about Dobby. His death was very sad too. I loved how Harry buried him by hand and not magic. I thought that was a very nice touch.

Yeah the chapter where Harry realized he had to die and then his walk into the forest was probably my favorite part of the book. It was very well done and very powerful. I wept openly, safe to say.

I read the book over 3 days, in between working and errands, reading the most yesterday to finish it up.