The Just a Little Bit Closer Series/ SANDLE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by CSIAleh, Jun 7, 2007.

1. CSIAleh

CSIAleh Witness

PART FIVE!!

Fifteen minutes later Sara ran downstairs and found Greg writing down furiously on a piece of paper. As soon as he caught sight of her, he shoved the piece of paper under a couch pillow. He had no idea that she had saw it.

Greg: Hey there. You feel better?
    Sara: Yeah. Much. Wow, you look nice. Those aren’t the clothes that you picked out were they??
    Greg: Nope. And I thought you might want your dress for this occasion so I had it dry cleaned.
    Sara: What occasi…
    Greg: Ah! No questions. Just take in the evidence.
    Sara: I have to say, Greg, I am pretty su…
    Greg: Ah! Yes you are pretty; now take it in…mmmm…you catch my drift?
    Sara: Mmhmm. You can’t drive.
    Greg: AWW SARA! C’MON!
    Sara: You aren’t all better yet! How could you even expect to drive with your foot in a cast?

Greg and Sara walked to the door and out to his car. He opened the door for her and lifted himself into the tall dark blue Trailblazer. Everything was a little more difficult for Greg but he adapted to it quickly; he just made it a temporary part of who he was.

Sara: Where to, Greg?
    Greg: Well, not that you driving and me telling you where to drive to isn’t ruining the secret or anything, but we’re going to Olive Garden for lunch. So take a right up here.

They pulled into the parking lot at Red Lobster and Sara turned off the car.

Greg: Alright. Let’s go. Wait for me to come around.

Sara obeyed and waited for Greg to come around and get the door for her. She stepped out and walked with Greg to the door. Greg approached the waiter and spoke softly.

Greg: Good afternoon, Sir. I made a reservation yesterday.
    Waiter: Ahh, let me see here…Sanders for two?
    Greg: Yes, sir.
    Waiter: Very good then, right this way please.

They followed the waiter to a beautiful table in a corner all by itself. As soon as they were seated, another waiter came and filled their wine glasses with a fine Italian wine. Sara gasped at all the things being placed at the table. Greg sat up straight, satisfied at her happiness. He rested his hands on the table until the waiters were finished bringing their meal. Noticing Greg’s hands on the table, Sara grabbed one and held it tightly.

Sara: Greg!! This is lunch.
    Greg: Yes, I do believe that is what most people on this planet call it. In their own language.
    Sara: AWW! Greg! Thank you so much!
    Greg: You’re very welcome. Just enjoy it.

Sara beamed as she let go of Greg’s hand and they both began to eat. There was so much food. A large Caesar salad sat in the middle of the table. A big plate of fettuccini alfredo to its side. And a large basket of authentic garlic breadsticks. It took them nearly an hour before they were finished with the salad and half the fettuccini alfredo. Both of them appeared to be slightly tipping over because they were so full! Greg laughed and Sara slouched slightly in her chair.

Sara: That was soo good.
    Greg: I know.

A satisfied silence filled the air for a moment while they both contemplated the exact same thing: When are we getting married.

Greg: Well, I thought when we came here we could plan our wedding a little.
    Sara: Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. It will give us a little time to digest too.
    Greg: Ok so we’re for sure on the date right.
    Sara: Yes. We did confirm that yesterday with the invitation place. Saturday May 12 at 3:00.
    Greg: I called a florist. We'll have plently of RED and WHITE roses. Your favorite.
    Sara: Thank you so much! And I called the park that we're going to and scheduled it for us along with a decorator.
    Greg: When did you have time do to all this?
    Sara: When did you?
    Greg: While you were taking a shower.
    Sara: While I was making breakfast this morning.

They both smiled and Greg stood up from his chair to pull Sara's out for her.

Greg: I guess we really didn't need to talk about that for long.
    Sara: I guess not.
    Greg: Well tomorrow we're headed back to work.
    Sara: Yeah. I kind of miss work.
    Greg: Yeah. Me too. But I love having time off to spend with you. Do you want me to drive you home?
    Sara: No.
    Greg: Alright, let's head back to my place.

Greg tried to convince Sara to let him drive again but to no avail. When they arrived at Greg's house, they talked more about the wedding for hours. But they both got very tired and Sara drove herself home.

-----------------------------
    Ughh, gotta get up. Sara! I get to see Sara today. And Nick and Warrick and everybody!! This thought of getting to see all his friends made him get up and dressed as fast as he possible could. He then realized he couldn't drive himself to work.

Greg: Nicky! Hey can you come pick me up. I'm not allowed to drive myself to work.
    Nick: Yeah sure. Let me know Grissom I'm leaving to come pick you up. I'll be there in ten.
    Greg: Thanks! Bye.
    Nick: See ya.

2. danafireprincess

danafireprincess Victim

yay you rule!

3. sarahSidle1981

sarahSidle1981 Lab Technician

Keep going, I can wait for the wedding.

4. CSIAleh

CSIAleh Witness

After about a month...HERE MY FRIENDS is part six!! I just totally stopped writing but one of my friends 9she doesn't even watch CSI) was like "You need to keep writing it's really good." So I am writing again. Beware though...there is a little twist about Gil. I think you Grillowsers might like this one. :eek: Enjoy and without further ado.....PART SIX

The door bell rang. Greg hobbled to the door slowly. It felt like he should be moving faster but he knew that he really couldn’t. Nick stood at the door and finally just opened it nearly hitting Greg.

Nick: Woah there! Sorry Greggo!
    Greg: Hey, that’s alright. Thanks for coming.
    Nick: No problem. Are you ready to go?
    Greg: Yeah I think I got everything.

They both exited the front door and made their way to Nick’s car. For five minutes the two friends were completely silent. Then Nick broke the silence with a question that he had been itching to ask for weeks.

Nick: SO, Greg, you and Sara are going out I assume.
    Greg: Well, kind of.
    Nick: How do you kind of go out?
    Greg: I can’t say.
    Nick: What? C’mon.
    Greg: Nope. Can’t
    Nick: I know.
    Greg: You do?
    Nick: Yeah.
    Greg: Then why did you ask?
    Nick: Because I actually don’t know and was trying to get you to tell me.
    Greg: We’re getting married.
    Nick: Yeah. Sure. Now you’re just joshing around with me.
    Greg: Yeah. I’m not.
    Nick: ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?

Right as Nick pulled into the lab parking lot; Greg got out quickly and headed away form Nick as fast as he could. A huge smile was on Greg’s face as he tried to evade his eager pursuer. Nick finally stopped “chasing” Greg and headed to the locker room. Meanwhile, Greg had grabbed his lab coat and was already in his lab reading evidence submission reports. He looked down at his feet and noticed a piece of paper stuck to the bottom of his shoe. Reaching down, he retrieved the piece of paper on his shoe. It was neatly folded into a little square. Something was telling Greg that this might be a piece of evidence. He didn’t know whether to listen to it. Maybe he should; after all he was nearly finished with his training to be a crime scene investigator. He gave in to his instinct and put some latex gloves on and unfolded the piece of paper. Gregory Hojem Sanders, I am not through with you yet. The words on the paper seemed to jump out at Greg as the hairs on his back stood on end. He laid the piece of paper on the desk and backed his chair away. Greg pulled out his phone and texted Gil. Waiting for Gil to come was nerve wracking but he finally came into the lab walking very quickly.

Gil: Hi Greg. Nice to see you back on the job. Your text said that you found a piece a paper on the bottom of your shoe?
    Greg: Yeah.
    Gil: I don’t need to know what’s on the bottom of your shoes, Greg. But if you need me to remind you to check your shoes before you leave the restroom, I would be happy to help. Are you sure you are ready to be here?

Greg stared at Gil for a minute and then pointed to the piece of paper on the desk. Gil leaned over and grabbed the piece of paper with a latex glove. Shock and horror filled Grissom’s face. He grabbed an evidence bag and put the paper in it.

Gil: Greg. Where did you find this?
    Greg: It was on the bottom of my shoe. I told you that already.
    Gil: No no no. Where did this get stuck to your shoe?
    Greg: How am I supposed to know?
    Gil: I don’t know. But we’re going to find out.

FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER.

Everybody gathered round the piece of paper in Greg’s lab. Gil, Sara, Warrick, Nick, Catherine and Greg were all there.

Warrick: Alright, Griss. You called us all here. This better be important. I’m working on a case right now.
    Gil: We’re all working on cases, Warrick. And yes this just happens to be very important. Greg found this piece of paper on the bottom of his shoe.

Gil held up the bag with the paper in it and passed it around.

Gil: This may be a good lead on Greg’s case here and we’re going to need all the help we can get.
    Catherine: But, Gil, we caught the killer two days ago. Why would we keep pursuing this? The case has already been closed.
    Gil: Because this opens it back up.
    Nick: Maybe there was more than one guy.
    Gil: Exactly. Sara and Greg: process the piece of paper for other trace evidence and if you need to go back to where Greg has been in the last 24 hours. Warrick and Catherine: I need you to go to the county jail and interrogate our killer. Nick: You and I are going to do some background searches.
    Nick: Alright y’all. Let’s get to it.

Gil nodded and everybody scattered to do their designated work. Nick went over to Greg before he left.

Nick: You’re serious?

Greg turned around in his swivel chair and looked Nick straight in the eyes.

Greg: I can’t tell you.
    Nick: Have I ever told you how much you are a pain in the butt sometimes?
    Greg: Not recently. Thanks.

Nick walked out of Greg’s lab and off towards Grissom’s office.

Sara: What was that all about?
    Greg: I told Nick about us getting married and I’m not sure he believed me and now he’s trying to figure it out.
    Sara: You are a pain in the butt!
    Greg: Oh you too? Man so much love around here!
    Sara: Are you okay?
    Greg: I’m a little freaked but I’ll be fine.
    Sara: Okay. Well, let’s get to it.

Greg and Sara both pulled a pair of new latex gloves out of a box and slapped them on simultaneously. They looked at each other and smiled. Sara reached for the bag and pulled out the paper. Greg grabbed UV light out from a drawer under the table. He carefully probed the paper. Sara put her hand over his.

Sara: Stop! Right there! That looks like blood. It’s tiny.
    Greg: I don’t see it.
    Sara: Give me a swab.
    Greg: Here.
    Sara: Thank you.

Sara carefully swabbed the paper and handed it to Greg who pulled out a chemical to test the swab for blood. She leaned into him, eagerly waiting to see the results. The swab turned pink. They both shouted in excitement. Small. But quite possibly enough. For an hour they continued to examine the paper for more evidence that could lead them to the killer or where the note became attached to Greg’s shoe.

Greg: I tested that swab of sticky substance you removed from my shoe and the sticky substance from the paper. They are the same substance.
    Sara: And that is...?
    Greg: Water, acrylic polymer, stearic acid, polyethylene glycol…
    Sara: And that is…?
    Greg: C’mon. Sara. Don’t tell me you don’t know what that is.
    Sara: I don’t.

Greg sighed and saw Grissom walk by.

Greg: Grissom!

Gil turned around and looked up from the file he was reading.

Greg: Water, acrylic polymer, stearic acid, polyethylene glycol?
    Gil: Stick glue.
    Greg: Thank you.

Gil smirked and continued to walk to his destination.

Greg: That is why the glue didn’t have the appearance of white liquid glue or any other kind of glue. It looked purple. Like that glue that kids use for arts and crafts. Stick glue.
    Sara: Well now that you say it I remember.
    Greg: Riiight. SO the second killer meant for me to step on the paper. Why he would use such a low caliber adhesive to make it stick? Beats me. Well if the glue sticks…
    Sara: Wear it?
    Greg: Not exactly but yeah.

Greg pulled out his cell and texted Gil; think we found some good stuff. Meet me in lab?
    Five minutes later Greg’s phone vibrated. He flipped it open and read the text message from Gil. No. my office. Greg rolled his eyes and grabbed the report off the table and walked with Sara to Gil’s office.

Gil: Sorry I just had another good lead. I didn’t want to get up. What did you find?
    Greg: We found a purple adhesive on the paper and on my shoe. Both are consistent with that of stick glue. I confirmed that both are the same brand. Now we also found some very small leaves fragments attached to the letter which would lead me to believe I did in fact step on this outside of my house. I sent the leaves pieces to Christa in the botany department. She is going to give me a type. We also found a hair attached to the letter on the glue WITH a root so we should be able to get a DNA profile from that.
    Gil: Good, Greg. I pulled up a file on a man named Sherman Wajenewski. He lives in the area. He was arrested two years ago for assaulting to people within one week. The charges were cleared on a technicality. I pulled up your uncle’s cell phone bill. The last person he called: Sherman Wajenewski. I’m not taking any leaps here but I think we might have a suspect.

A young woman came walking briskly into Grissom’s office holding a report over her head.

Greg: Hey, Christa! Got that report for me?
    Christa: Yeah. They’re ficus leaves. It took me about two hours to identify the type…it’s a rare kind.
    Greg: Great!! Thanks. Okay so that confirms that the leaves on the letter are probably from my front yard.

A WEEK LATER

Greg learned down and picked up an evidence report off the ground. He knew that he was working overtime. But he felt like he needed to. Just to make up for the week he missed. He knew that when Sara came in, she would have none of it. He had been freaked out about the paper more than he would admit. But he knew that Sara would make him talk about it sooner or later. She could read him like a book that way. Better than anyone else. They were faint but he could hear her footsteps. He knew that Sidle scent and could hear her coming every time…almost every time. All of a sudden, he heard the footsteps no more. Perplexed as he was, he continued to work. Greg jumped, almost out of his seat.

Sara: Hey there. Sorry I scared you.
    Greg: You are not…I heard you coming…then I didn’t hear you. You tricky woman you.
    Sara: Ahhh so you caught on…you are smart. You know why I came in here right?
    Greg: Yeah. Let’s see…I was thinking about how much I love you and miss you and SHAZAM! You’re here. Magic Jeanie, I presume. Too bad he only granted one of my wishes.
    Sara: What were the other two?
    Greg: Well if I told you it would be like if I told you what I wished for before I blew out the birthday candles, now wouldn’t it? Same concept.
    Sara: Is that so?
    Greg: Yes, I do believe so.
    Sara: Well, can SWAMI reveal some secrets for me…or is he out of business?
    Greg: Swami is tired. Cannot reveal any new secrets.
    Sara: Well, can Greg reveal any new secrets?
    Greg: I suppose. What is it you want me to reveal?
    Sara: What’s up with you?
    Greg: Kind of complicated…it would take all day.
    Sara: I have the day off. If I can get out of here before Nick spots me.

-------------------------------------------------------

Catherine strode into Grissom’s office. Everything about Gil told her that he was extremely tired. He laid his head on the large, file-filled desk.

Catherine: Gil.
    Gil: Catherine!
    He quickly lifted his head to see the owner of the voice he knew so well. She stood with her arms crossed and bright smile on her face. Gil tried to straighten up his desk a little but to no avail. Several files fell onto the floor and scattered about. Catherine grabbed a file out of Gil’s left hand and a pen out of his right.

Catherine: YOU…need to take a break.
    Gil: I’m fine I just need to grab a bite to eat.
    Catherine: Don’t give me that “I’m just hungry” crap. You need to get out of here, Gil.
    Gil: So you’re right, but I have things to do. Sleep just isn’t on the agenda right now.
    Catherine: Sleep is never on the agenda for you.

Catherine set down the file and pen and walked behind Gil. He could feel her soft hands grab his tense shoulders. Just having her in the room was a comfort to him. All those years of working together; she was more than just a co-worker to him. She was one of his best friends. Sometimes he wished he could just tell someone. He felt like he could tell her, but he just couldn’t bring himself around to it.

Catherine: I tell you what: you go get some sleep, have some dinner and I will try and finish some of these reports for you. After all I’m sure a good twenty or so of them are cases I have done or been on.
    Gil: I can’t let you do that.
    Catherine: Sure ya can. Here let me help.

She gently urged him to stand up by pulling up on his shoulders. Out of his office they went and into the parking lot. Catherine realized that he would need his car keys in order to drive the car. She laughed and let go of Gil’s shoulders.

Catherine: Stay here. I’ll go get your keys.
    Gil: But…

Before Gil could finish his protest, Catherine was back in the lab. She grabbed his coat and shook it. The keys were there. On her way out, she clocked her and Gil out. When she returned, Gil was exactly where she left him. He still had a look on his face as if he were confused. Gil’s new black Lexus beeped.

Catherine: Get in.
    Gil: I didn’t check out.
    Catherine: I checked us both out. Warrick said he would take the paper work if I had to make you leave. Get in.

Gil walked slowly to the driver’s side and opened the door.

Catherine: I’m going to drive, Gil.
    Gil: I know. I was just opening the door for you.

Catherine smiled and got in the car and started it up. Gil hopped in the other side and they both closed their doors at the same time. After they had exited the car garage, Catherine could tell a weight was lifted off of Gil’s shoulders by the way he sighed.

Gil: So where are we going?
    Catherine: I don’t know. I was going to drive you to your house.
    Gil: Well, since we’re out…
    Catherine: Since we’re out what?
    Gil: I would like to take you to dinner.
    Catherine: I can’t let you do that.
    Gil: It’s easy. Pull over. My car. Pull over.

Catherine had no choice but to comply with his request. They both got out of the car and switched places. Gil turned the car around. He could sense a feeling of confusion coming from her as she sat silently. It seemed as if she was waiting for Gil to say something but she decided to talk any way.

Catherine: Gil, are you okay? You seem really…I don’t know…out of sorts lately.
    Gil: I’m fine.
    Catherine: You know I know you well enough that that just will not cut it, Gilbert Grissom.
    Gil: That’s funny.
    Catherine: What’s funny?
    Gil: You haven’t called me Gilbert for awhile…no one has. My father never called me Gil you know…it was either Gilbert or GILBERT!
    Catherine: So what is up with you?
    Gil: Cath, I just don’t know how to put it.
    Catherine: Try me. I’m a good listener.

----------------------------------------------

Greg: So you’re a good listener. I know that. But I’ll have to tell you later, because I’m busy right at the moment.
    Sara: Well, you have the day off. I convinced Grissom to let you have today off when I told him you were going to try and work a double overtime today. So we have all day.

Greg leaned in close to Sara. He tried not to laugh but he was quite unsuccessful. He whispered a bunch of science jumble in her ear and the right in the middle of all of it he mumbled:

Greg: I love you, Sara.

All Sara could do was smile as she grabbed his hand and led him to the locker room.

Sara: Grissom already signed you out this morning so you can basically leave whenever. Oh and I thought I would add that Grissom said he wouldn’t authorize any more overtime for you for two days unless you took a break today. Any work you do today is volunteer.
    Greg: That’s okay with me. The money isn’t why I do this job.
    Sara: But you do need to take a break.
    Greg: Okay. Let me get my street clothes on.

----------------------------------------------

Gil: I just don’t know what to say. When I went to visit Greg at his house about a week ago, Sara was there cooking.
    Catherine: And that’s what is wrong with you? Gil, I’m sure she was just trying to help take care of him. We’re all friends, Gil. Had I not had to be at work in the mornings the last two weeks I probably would’ve gone to cook for him too. Are you still in love with Sara?
    Gil: No.
    Catherine: Dear, you are really underestimating me today. You do to. I can read it all over your face. I promise you, everything will be okay.
    Gil: We’re here.
    Catherine: Gil, you can always talk to me. I will be here for you.
    Gil: What about Warrick?
    Catherine: Ha! Sometimes you do need to get out more. We’re just friends. You know that. Besides, he’s into uh what’s her name. Greg’s assistant. I can’t remember her name right now. Anyway. Like I said, you can always talk to me no matter what.

She unbuckled her seatbelt and kissed him on the cheek. As soon as she turned to see where they had stopped she turned back again and gasped in excitement.

Catherine: GIL!! Giovanni’s?!?!? Is like my favorite resteraunt!!
    Gil: I know.
    Catherine: It’s so expensive…
    Gil: That’s no problem.
    Catherine: But…
    Gil: C’mon, It will be fun!
    Catherine: Wow, Gil. “C’mon it will be fun?” I don’t think I have ever heard that from you before.
    Gil: You’d be surprised.

-------------------------------------------
    Greg could hardly get everything out that he wanted to say at once. The whole lot of things he had been experiencing over the last two weeks was just overbearing. Sara couldn’t believe how strong he had been. Even she didn’t know that he had been that strong through all of it, until he started telling her everything.

Sara: We’ll get him, Greg. Remember we still have Wajenewski in custody. We only need a little more evidence to charge him with murder.
    Greg: Dang, Sara, did we ever check my clothes for trace evidence?
    Sara: Oh my gosh, we left your stuff at the hospital. How could we have forgotten that?
    Greg: I have no idea.

Off they were to the hospital. As soon as they arrived they saw Dr. Wallace racing through the room to the front desk. He uttered some inaudible words to the clerk and rushed off back to where he came from. There was no way that was English, Greg though to himself. But apparently it was because the clerk began doing something different. Sara approached the desk.

Sara: Excuse me, ma’am, do you know where we can pick up patient items?
    Clerk: Of course! Take a right and go straight until you see a sign that says patient services.
    Sara: Thank you so much!
    Clerk: No problem.

Take a right and go straight to patient services…I don’t see it. Oh there it is. Sometimes Greg just put too much thought into following directions to get somewhere. It made Sara laugh almost every time. She glanced over at him and it looked like he was doing some complex formula in his head. But she knew he was probably just contemplating the simple directions the clerk had given them. Greg didn’t look up until they had reached the patient services desk. This time Greg approached the desk, almost excitedly.

Greg: Hello, I was wondering how long you keep patient belongings after they leave the hospital.
    Clerk: Well, we usually keep them for a month or so before we call the owner again.
    Greg: Great! Do you; by any chance have any belongings from a patient Gregory Hojem Sanders?
    Clerk: One moment let me check here. Sanders, Gregory. These them?
    Greg: Yeah! They are!
    Clerk: Good! I’ll just need you to sign here. Can I see a photo I.D. as well?
    Greg: Oh yeah, sure, sure.

He showed the man his driver’s license and the clerk gave him his belongings.

Clerk: Thank you Mr. Sanders. Have a nice day!
    Greg: On no, thank you! And you have a nice day! C’mon Sara let’s go.

When they got back to the lab they immediately called their paint chip specialist; they were sure they would find paint chips on Greg’s clothes. It took them nearly three hours to process the clothes and for the paint chip specialist to match the paint. But after all the hard work, it paid off. Greg texted Grissom: got final evidence to confirm Wajenewski. no need to come in. heard you took the day off. Just thought i’d let you know. Grissom was one of the few people that Greg new would always respond but it still surprised him when it vibrated in his coat pocket. Congrats, Greg. you can brief me about it tomorrow and we’ll get it all taken care of. no way Cath is going to let me come in. talk to you soon, Greg immediately found a sense of relief after knowing that the other killer would soon be in jail. Disappointment after disappointment had bombarded the lab after most of the evidence they had found was not sufficient to charge Wajenewski with murder. The hair they had found on the threat was Greg’s hair; the blood was a match to Wajenewski but that wasn’t enough evidence to charge him with murder. But when they match the paint chips on Greg’s shirt to the missing paint on Wajenewski’s black car, they knew they had got him.

-------------------------------------------------

Catherine: Dinner was amazing, Gil. Thank you so much, But I thought this was supposed to be your day to relax and get away?
    Gil: It has been. You needed one to. Just being with you. Outside of work. Makes me feel better. You one of my best friends, Cath and I just really appreciate everything you’ve done for me.
    Catherine: It’s what…friends are for. Thanks for bringing me here. It really made my da…no it pretty much made my month. Where to next?
    Gil: Oh I don’t know. We have all day don’t we?

5. sarahSidle1981

sarahSidle1981 Lab Technician

Really love the new part and can't wait to see what happens next.

6. catey1234

catey1234 Pathologist

Thanks for updating and continuing the story. Much appreciated, good job!