Horse Riding

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SandleDL, Jun 15, 2007.

1. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

^ My pony always does that. If in doubt he gallops. :rolleyes:

Well that once per year should be fun. I've only ever gone on funrides, never entered a competition, I'm planning on having a go this summer, but I doubt I'll get any where, my pony's a bit of a div. :lol: Get's distracted so easily. :rolleyes:

2. csimonkey

csimonkey Police Officer

Wow, my favourite thread ever! :D

i don't have my own, but i volunteer at Mossburn Animal Rescue Centre where i get to ride! :D I ride Blacky, she's a 14.2hh Fell x and the sweetest horse ever! She's 26 so getting on a bit but she loves Hacking and will still pop over logs and little jumps :D
    All 5 horses and 2 shetlands are in this video i made :D
    Please watch it and feel free to watch my other videos, there's one of me and Blacky jumping :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUXShHO0-Ns

3. eggbe4thechicken

Wow that's great for a 26 yo. :) I've got two videos up on youtube. (under the same name) if you want to have a look. One of me riding my haffie, and another of my dad riding his horse. They aren't the best videos. :lol: Both from a while ago. :rolleyes:

I love your vids, I've had a browse. Blacky's adorable. :p

4. saraXsullivan

saraXsullivan CSI Level Two

I took horse riding lessons a while ago. I lasted two weeks. It's not that I didn't like horse-back riding. It's just the place I went to. It was... bad. All the horses had something wrong with them, so the place basically bought all the horses for a discount because they didn't want to spend more money. And these horses were being used to teach kids to ride. I wouldn't mind if it was a place that advanced riders went to, because they were more experienced and knew what to do and stuff. I rode one that, during my first lesson, kicked twice, and ran in a canter once out of random. And the horse I rode hated putting his saddle on, so they had to bring him out into the open and chase him around to get it on. It was really sad, and I could only watch.

So I felt bad for the horses there and quit.

A while ago I told my mom I wanted to go trailriding sometime, and she said she'd love to go too. There's a few places around that offer trailriding, and not the place I mentioned earlier, that I'd like to go to. Hopefully this summer I will.

:)

5. csimonkey

csimonkey Police Officer

oh, you're Haffie is just gorgeous! :D i love Haffies. i like long hair :p Blacky has plenty!
    here's some pics of her feathers this summer when they had a growth spurt. I got asked if she'd been stood in miracle grow! :lol: :D
    big back feet!
    even bigger front feet!

i love her feathers! :D

thanks, i love making videos lol. there's loads! :D

6. eggbe4thechicken

Thanks csimonkey! :D He's a star. His mane isn't so nice any more though, because of the winter, the mud and the rain combination, and it's just looks horrible now. :( We're working on it now though. :p Lot's of conditioner. :lol:

Those are some pretty impressive feathers! Benny, he's the heavy weight, would probably have longish feathers if we let them grow, but he looks better without. Hence the hogged mane. :p

That's horrible SxS. Maybe you should report them or something? It's horrible when horses are treated badly.

7. csimonkey

csimonkey Police Officer

You're welcome! he's very handsome :D
    aww, yeah, winter isn't nice for them really is it? except for the nice cosy stables and hay they get ;) Blacky doesn't like summer because the flies bother her and she has very sensitive skin so she'll be clipped soon as it helps.

i'll tell you a bit about all of them and how they came to Mossburn :)
    Blacky came because her owner was going througha bad time and near mental breakdown so we agreed to take her for a while. We didn't hear from her owner for the next 2 years really and she didn't pay for her. But the other week she got in touch, gave us a cheque for £2000 and said we can keep her! :D :D so that made me very happy!

Maddie used to do dressage and we're not really sure why but her owners diagnosed her with navicular without any x-rays which is impossible so they sort of abandoned her on us. She didn't have navicular so we think they just didn't want her anymore. she's a bit of a grumpy cow :lol: but great to ride!

Jasper is the only animal we've ever paid money for. He was seen by the owner of Mossburn at a Monty Roberts demonstration kicking and bucking, obviously in pain. So she bought him and it took a good few years to get him right, especially his teeth and back! :( but now he's a lovely boy and a perfect gentleman with his 4 ladies :D

Sililia, or Sil :p, or honky donky :lol: is a mule! she's only 8, a right character and a very eventful ride! she's so stubborn and runs off with you :p She was abandoned in a field and the owner of the land was going to shoot her and her companion if they weren't moved so she came to Mossburn :)

Connie is 27! She was showjumped all her life then had a trailer accident, where it flipped over with her in it! :( she then decided she was claustrophobic and so her owners thought it best to give her to us. She's a real sweetie and still loves to hack and enjoys a good gallop! :) she's starting to show her ages now though and just recovered from a bad allergic reaction!

Breezer was an unwanted pet i think and abandoned with us.

Tommy was locked in a shed for months, with no fresh water and didn't get fed every day. :( he came to us in a right state and didn't trust anyone! He is still wary and you need to sit with him for a while before he'll even let you touch him. Trimming his feet is always eventful as he has to be sedated. poor little guy :(

I love working at Mossburn and it's very rewarding, just heartbreaking a lot of the time! The story about the calves and the 30+ other animals we rescued from one man is very sad, i'll tell you another time or do you wnat to hear now? lol. It's great for later on on my CV too lol, i'm only 16 so it's great to help out and stuff. And riding is a big bonus! :D

8. eggbe4thechicken

Where is it you live? I've always wanted to help out at a rescue centre, just never got around to it.

God the summer and the flies really is terrible, the only time you can hack out is really early in the morning. Any other time they get eaten alive. :(

My heavyweight, was basically a rescue. He was extremely thin, he pretty much looked like a thoroughbred! But gradually we got him up to standard, you can see a pic of him up the top, he's called Benny. ;) He's able to go on 3 hour fun rides now, canter for 10 mins at a time, whereas we couldn't even get him to canter when we first got him. :) So sort of a rescue story, although it wasn't really what we set out to do. To tell you the truth, we didn't think he would get so big. :lol: He just kept on filling out. :p

I've heard some really horrible horror stories about trailer incidents. Most of the time they get put down straight away. It's great that Connie's got a nice home now. :)

Tell us more! :lol:

9. csimonkey

csimonkey Police Officer

that's great! :) He's got a good home now!
    Sorry, i have to go. i poromise i will tell you another time :p
    bye!

10. saraXsullivan

saraXsullivan CSI Level Two

So, this morning at breakfast, I brought up that I really wanted to go trailriding sometime. (I've never been before) And my Dad was like 'Hmm that would be an interesting experience' and my Mom said she would come with me. So then my Dad went downstairs then came back up with some sheets on a place 20 minutes away that has trailriding for beginners. It looks really good, so I'm hoping I get to go at least one time this summer.

I hope this is okay for me to bring this up, it's about a series I read when I was younger and became VERY obsessed with horses. Has anyone ever read any of the Heartland Series books? I'd definitely recommend them, they are really good and emotional. I think I'm going to go to the library sometime and get the ones I haven't read yet. It's about a horse farm that helps horses that have certain problems, but they use natural methods.

They are really powerful books. I don't cry a lot when it comes to books or movies. I didn't cry when I watched a Walk To Remember, I didn't cry when I watched The Notebook, but within the first four chapters of the first book in the Heartland series, I was bawling my eyes out.

I really really like them, and I haven't read the whole series yet, but I'm definitely going to try to finish it over the summer.

11. csimonkey

csimonkey Police Officer

oh, just realised i never answered your question eggb4thechicken. i live in Dumfries in Scotland. :)

12. eggbe4thechicken

:lol: A good 12 hours away from me. :lol: Oh, and call me Eggy, everyone does. :p

sXs I've read a few of those books. Quite a while ago though, but I can remember them being good. :)
    Have fun on your trail ride. Wait, um, what IS trail riding? :rolleyes: Is it like a hacking holiday?
    Anyway, we expect pictures. :p

13. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

I'm not sure if I've already posted the link, but here you find a youtube vid of my horse!
    Finally I can do a bit more with him again, yesterday I could jog again and it was totally ok, the leg isn't swollen anymore. He's got bandages around his front feet now, hope that helps. I'm so much looking forward to tomorrow when I can ride again, I really missed it!

14. eggbe4thechicken

Glad he's getting better. :)

That vids great, he's got a nice jump. I love the bit when he's standing in the middle of the school licking. :lol: Horses can be so random. :lol:

Today, Niels (My haffie) was next to a flip top bin, and everytime my dad would shut it, Niels would open it again. :lol: He did it about 15 times. :lol: He's too intelligent for his own good. :rolleyes:

15. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Yeah he loves jumping, he's pretty good at it, but I'm not... :rolleyes: Today I could ride again and it was fine, but he got quite fast after a while - normally he's lazy but after this long time he really wants to do more - wish he'd always be like that^^