The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Erm,thanks Lucy for not having anything against us.

2. kimi

kimi Lab Technician

I like Brazil and Argentine :D, but Italy ...I just can't. WC, Champions League, enough is enough. We even have a qualification match in San Siro in September. Gawd, that sucks !
    *Materrazzi will be there, but not Zizou * Just kidding :lol:

3. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Well, how could I dislike a team that has Xabi Alonso, Pepe Reina and Luis Garcia? ;)

4. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

I support...

Greece(duh)
    Italy
    France
    Portugal
    Spain
    Mexico
    Argentina
    Brazil

I think I may be missing a team or two, but that's pretty much it. In Europe I support teams from the south & I also like any south American team. I'm against any team who hates Greece.

5. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I guess being fond of Liverpool I should like Spain (the football team) I have nothing agaisnt the country of Spain, I've been often enough :lol:

Lucy, U'll know this now but I see Readings first game is agaisnt Man Utd :lol: Liverpool have Villa, and Wigan have Everton away. :p
    Intresting to see that Bolton will be playing Newcastle on opening day. :eek:

I'm not a huge fan of Greece, although I was pleased they beat Portugal in the Euro 2004 final.

Once England have been eliminated from a tournament, if they're still in it I always support Holland :D

6. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Indeed, first up, Reading are away at Old Trafford, followed by Chelsea at home! :eek: Okay, so at least we should have a fit squad! I'm trying to be positive. *sigh*

Re international football, I really don't dislike anyone as such. Of course England have their rivals, but I just like to watch good football. For example, even though Argentina are our big rivals, I still really enjoyed their style of football at last year's World Cup. I even support Scotland, when they aren't playing us obviously!

What I dislike intensely is cheating and gamesmanship. I know many players of all nationalities are guilty of it, but some teams are worse than others, mentioning no names. ;)

I also tend to like certain players and look out for the teams they play for. For example, Dimitar Berbatov is a favourite player of mine (so talented, and modest too), so I'm interested in Bulgaria's progress. :)

There have been lots of Finnish players in the English Premiership in recent years (I adored Jari Litmanen), so I'm interested in Finland too. :D

7. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^^ :D yay for us!

I swear we'll make to EuroCup in some year 2050 and Litmanen will be captain :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, he is great. But he is old, injured (and keeps it that way) and slow. tho oh how well he reads to game when he gets a chance.

Jonathan Johansson (aka Tintin) is my absolutley fave along with Kuqi...uh and Forssell :p

What comes to "teams/countries to hate" I just cannot stand Brazil, France :lol: I just can't. But I can admit that they are wonderful teams and certain players are just plain awesome.

And my support for Croatia came with Davor Zuker ;)

8. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

awww thanks for ur kind words re Mitko - he is ours hope for the future :) this is friendly advice, pls don`t put ur money on ours football team - they just suck, sometimes i`m ashamed that they play under my flag *sigh*

aww the Royals don`t have very good luck - first Man Un. after this Chelsea ... well, nothing scary - this is just the beginning of this new season, only the time will show... hope this year Reading to keep be such nice surprise and defend theirs position in top10 list/place in Eng premiership, why not and to play in UEFA cup after 1-2 y. ;)

i too think to say some words for international football... well here in my country from all my life experience the only one team (in WC or EC) that always take positive point and attitude is England. Did coz they create this game or coz they are gentlemans in the green field i don`t know :p most of the time (90 %) in all newspapers or sport news or friends conversation everybody take England side. In meaning here through 2-3 years Bulgarian football 'enemy' are changeing - we 'hate' France or Swede after this someone else - only coz they beat us ... but when come to England most of the Bulgarian football fans like and support this teams (including me). Also here in my country most watching and following championship/premiership are English, Spain and German - this i just a fact, i know that this don`t have any connection with the subject ;).

but if i have to be honest i don`t like when my/ours newspapers or sport news try to convince me why some country is football 'enemy' for me.. everyone had theirs own opinion ... even close friend with similar football thinking/liking in some moments one support for example Man Un the othere don`t...Also i don`t believe a lot one this football statistics or tradition ... i just can like team only coz of one player or can hate team coz of one player - but this is just me ;) ... after all most important is we to watch beautiful football. what is strangely thing for me is to hate some team/player only coz they beat ur fav team... and as Lucy said i too dislike cheating and gamesmanship and this is the only reason i to 'hate' or more correct is to say don`t like and don`t support some great teams or players...

9. Alien_from_mars

Alien_from_mars Prime Suspect

Im a huge Manchester United fan. Try to see them play atleast 10 times a season, I should see them more as I only live down the road lol.

I really love England, and I am very passionate, so I cannot say I support any other international team apart from England. I am always behind them, even through the tough times. :)

10. Ducky

*squeezes tight* Yay! I'm sorry, been bit lonely here with all Liverpool fans here :p :lol:

11. Alien_from_mars

The scousers given you a hard time? :p

Do not fear, alien is here. :D

12. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

Real Madrid won the spanish league in the last match. Madrid has the same points as Barcelona, but due to goal Average Particular, Madrid gets proclamed winner of this season. It has been a really interesting league, untill the end we didn't know who would win. :D

13. Alien_from_mars

They are the most interesting leagues, when it goes right to the end. Although its traumatic for the fans. :lol:

14. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

Is anyone following the U-20 world cup? I will be watching the group that features Spain live tomorrow in Burnaby. I'll be watching both matches. Maybe you'll see me on TV heehee.

15. Ducky

I was watching Copa America last week... but meh, where I'd see U-20?

Oh yeah, last week there was quite interesting thing in our group of EC qualification (I mean where Finland is)

Armenia and Azerbaijan didn't solve problems that where they'd play their two games. They've been "enemies" for long time and didn't agree about places so UEFA decided to give 'em zero points from both games