The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^I thought owls didn't like daylight or people... :eek:
    Wow,it was a very beautiful animal,thanks for postig the pics.

In the EC qualifications,Spain defeated Latvia and Liechtenstein,both 0-2. :)

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Well they say it spends time at stadium because there isn't so much events, just national team football games, so bigger concerts and a few athletics things and that there is cooler and other birds don't bother it there.

So now it was bit distrubed about the people (some 38,000) and yes, the light was bit disturbing (tho it's not dark at all this time of the year)

3. althea

althea Lab Technician

On Thursday at 10:00BST the fixtures for the english premier league 2007/2008 season will be available off from the BBC Sport website for those who are interested.

4. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Oh my! Fixture release already :eek: Where does the time go? :lol:

I'll be keeping an eye out for Wigan's fixtures. :p

I was thinking yesterday, this time last year we were all caught up in the World Cup pandemoneum :D I looked at my diary from last year and I had all England WC matches witten down, I even wrore on the 9th July - England V________ for the WCF how optimistic was I? :lol: :eek:

5. kimi

kimi Lab Technician

Yeah I miss the World Cup too!
    Know what ? The French national team manager 'Domenech' announced and repeated months before the WC that France will be in Berlin on 9 July for the final...how optimistic was he ? Or how crazy was he ? :lol:
    Everybody here was 'hey what the hell is he talking about ?'
    Everybody laughed at him, and he was like "9 July in Berlin...you'll see" :eek:

6. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Domenech! Or Eddie Jordan as I called him - I thought he looks so much like him.

France being in the WCF took everyone by surpise, least of all me. Being an England fan I never want France to win anything but I was rooting for them in the Final. They were the lesser of two evils :lol: Englands arch enemy list is steadly becoming longer than the Magna Carta :p

7. kimi

kimi Lab Technician

:lol: I see what you mean. Thanks for having rooted for us, that should have been really really hard for you. But see the result :mad:
    I kinda supported England in the quarter final against Portugal, because I wanted a semi England-France :D But we finally got 'Cristiano Ronaldo, divings, whinings and co'
    Our list is long too... but in particular Italy, Germany and England (I've always wondered why we can't stand each other)

8. Misery

Misery Pathologist

Things in our group are REALLY exciting. I mean, 4 teams all have chances to make it. I have to say I was disappointed that we didn't manage to defeat Russia in our playground. But the thing that bothers me the most is the last game...why, oh why we have to play our last match in England?! :D

9. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

I'm fine with England, I even daresay I like them (if I forget about the 5:1 defeat - it was a shame - but it always cheers me up when I think of penalties, they're such a good invention aren't they? :D), and I don't have anything against France, but Italy... hell no! I didn't like the way they complained about what happened after the Ger-Arg match at the WC. That was a psychological downer for our team, things could've turned out differently I'm sure.
    I'm glad our team is better now than it was during the last Euro qualifyings, the Euro 04 was embarrassing... :rolleyes: We'll do better this time!

10. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

England are the worst, sorry joint worst nation (along with Holland) at taking penalty kicks. :lol: :rolleyes: ;)

I think the Germans like the English more than the English like the Germans. But I think that has got something to do with how serious the English take their football. England enemies are:

Germany
    Scotland
    France
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Portugal
    Spain
    Italy

The ones in bold are the serious rivalries. No prizes for guessin' why :rolleyes: :p

But Portugal are up there for me. I despise them

11. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Yeah England doesn't have any luck when it comes to Portugal... Don't know why actually. :confused: I don't mind if others don't like Germany, I'm proud of our team and of our world cup! ^^
    I hope Bayern will do better next season, they'll ahevgood players in the team but well, it's not about individuals but about how they act as one team.

12. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I've warmed to Germany over the years, but I guess not having a competitive match with them since 2001 might have something to do with it. They were the bain of Englands existance in the 1990's the same way in the 2000's its been Portugal who've made us miserable.
    I liked Klinsman as the Coach though, German or not he was a big part of the English Premier League in the 1990's and was top of his game and one of the most famous players around when I was getting into football in the mid ninties.

13. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Is that a list compiled by statistics/fans' opinions or just a personal list? Just curious, as I'm English and have nothing against Brazil or Spain! ;)

14. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I would say its general opinion of the football fans who I know. Teams who have either history with England are within a close proximity who have a decent side. But it doesn't take much for your average footbal fan to identify a rival really :lol:

Although you agree with 80% of that list then if its only Brazil and Spain you don't mind? 80% suits me :p :D :lol:

15. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

True enough, 80% is still a pretty good level of agreement! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing Reading's fixtures tomorrow. First game, Wigan away? ;)