The British and Irish Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Mar 13, 2007.

1. everclaire

everclaire Rookie

Got friends there too, at the uni!

2. Callacrap

Callacrap Rookie

:D Cool, I love it!

3. everclaire

everclaire Rookie

Wimbledon is sweet, I absolutely love it, which is weird because its probably the most un-me thing to like ever.

Wanna talk about something British and Irish? I had fish and chips for dinner! And because I'm in Scotland, Potato fritters too, which are like battered chips. Isn't this a weird country? They laugh at me here though because I do the Northern Irish thing of ordering 'a chip' instead of 'a portion of chips' and 'a cheesy chip' not 'a portion of chips and cheese'

EDITED: because I didn't have fish and ships for dinner. That would be a bit much for one sitting.

4. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Ha Ha Thats funny, my 3 very good Northern Irish friends, one lives in Belfast, one in Banbridge and one in Newtownards, and they all order 'a chip' :lol: I walked away from them when they said it :lol:

There is a big North/South divide with chippys in this country alone. I remember trooping around Brighton front for ages quoting Peter Kay 'As tha' gettin' owt moist' :lol: NO CURRY NO GRAVY NO PEAS :lol:

5. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

:lol: I love Peter Kay!

I went out for a really lovely pub lunch yesterday and had fish, chips and mushy peas. It was really gorgeous food. Now I just assumed that everyone had mushy peas and that it's normal, but I was speaking to my Grandmother on the phone last night and, well she's old so she likes to talk about what she's eaten that day and the like, so I told her about my fish and chips and she said that they don't even have mushy peas down south and the only place you get them is up north? Is that true? I just thought it was a British thing and not a Northern thing, I can't believe I never knew this? :confused:

6. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Peter Kay is a legend!

I don't think Peas, Gravy and Curry is exclusive to the north of England but its the norm up here in the north but not so much down south. I think some places do it in the south to please the northerners :lol: and when I have found a chippy that serves something moist in the south it tastes like shite :rolleyes: :lol:

You can't be a proper northern chip shop. If i'm in a greedy mood and I fancy a chippy tea then my premier choice is Fish Chips & Curry with a buttered barm cake. I love chip shop curry it is heaven. But if i'm being less greddy I'd have Chips, peas and Gravy with a buttered barm again :lol:

Arrggghh my mouths watering thinking about it, and I'm eating healthly at the moment :rolleyes:

7. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

I live in midlands, and we have mushy peas. :p With vinegar it's too yummy to resist. :lol: I was under the impression that they were a londoners thing. :rolleyes:

I lurve Peter Kay! He rocks. :D "Muuumm...get a spoon... quick...mum...mi biscuits fallen in mi brew...hurry up...it's sinking....Ahhh! B*****d...burning mi fingers!" :lol:

8. poppylvsgriss

poppylvsgriss Police Officer

hee hee. i love all this fish & chips (i had that for my tea last night - yummm!!! :D). me and my mates made our made from Bedford have chips and gravy cos she'd never had it nor heard of it before!! :eek: she thought it was ok but is still not sure about stuuf like that on chips :lol: :lol:

i saw peter kay in the producers in manchester!! he was amaaazing! he even did the two fingered thing on his cheek at the end (you know the one from his stand up dvd's??) which i was immensly impressed with! :D :D

9. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

This is going to turn into a Peter Kay thread isn't it?. :lol: But I guess he is quintessentially British.

'Guess who's dead?' 'I dunno chuck mi' phone book 'Connie!' 'Connie?' 'Yeah Connie Connie Connie' 'oh well now you've repeated it the bloody pennys dropped'

'Hello Nanna where are you?' *whispers* 'We're in kitchen' 'What youd doing in the kitchen? I thought you were taping the Wizzard Of Oz?' 'We are, but we didn't wanna talk incase it would come out on video' LMAO

I went to The Producers aswell. I went on 31st March, we were bang front row centre - it was fantastic. Peter messed up a couple of times but it gained him a standing ovasion (sp?) He did the 2 fingers on his face aswell :lol:

10. poppylvsgriss

aww! front row centre!! sooo jealous!! i couldn't believe it when i saw him, i could feel myself wanting to squeal and shout 'i love yooooou!' to him!! :lol: which is why i can never see billy petersen on stage. :lol: lmfao!! he was excellent in it though.

11. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I've seen him live in stand up twice aswell back in 2002 and 2003.

My friends met him at The Lowry Hotel in Manchester in 2005 whislt they were meeting the England Team, and knowing how big of a fan I am of PK they rang me up and put him on the phone to me :eek: :D I was bored and PO at work one Monday afternoon, my phone rings and I answer it and it was Bloody Peter Kay on the other end of the line. Coincidentally that day I'd just bought Max and Paddys Road to Knowhere on DVD and I told him, and he said 'You shouldn't have wasted your money on HMV prices you can get it for £3 at Bolton Market on Pirate' :lol:

12. poppylvsgriss

no WAY!!!! you talked to peter kay on the phone!! aargh!! thats amazing!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

never got chance to see his stand up yet, the tickets always sell out before i have chance to turn around. going to queue outside for them next time like i did for ricky gervais this year.

13. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I know getting PK tickets was a nightmare for us back in 02 and 03.

My heart was going ten to the dozen when I realised it was Peter on the phone haha. I was meant to be going to the Lowry that day so I'm gutted I missed out. I've met Paddy though, I've had my picture with Paddy.

I went to Ricky Gervias aswell. I was really lucky getting those, I was on Ticketmaster bang on 10am when they went on sale and it offered me Row BB for Manchester Apollo and I am a ticket snob so I reselcted and they went offsale. I was well annoyed that I rejected the first lot, then just as I refreshed a 3rd date went onsale and I got it just intime and got Front Row, I was shaking when I was filling in my details :lol: I went to the Blackpool show aswell, I was 5th Row for that, so I didn't do too badly. Lee Evans is also a nightmare to get tickets for :eek:. When his dates go on sale for next year I'm queing at the Box Office.

14. poppylvsgriss

you do right - its horrendous getting tickets isn' it.

for ricky gervais, i was taking no chances so i was queing outside the venue at 7 in the morning! :D i was first in the queue and got front row middle. they even opened up the box office early for us poor souls stood outside in the cold :lol:. i nearly passed out when we saw him, he was so close. couldn't believe it. good going with getting the tiks on ticketmaster aswell - i'm sick of not getting tickets on the net - they sell out too fast!

15. Callacrap

Callacrap Rookie

PETER KAY IS AN ABSOLUTE LEDGEND!

I love him sooo much! I went to Bolton t'other day (see what I did there eh eh eh! :D) to do some Peter Kay spotting! But, I didn't find him :(

I've never had front seats for anything I've had to pay for, apart from the Dancing In Ice tour at the MEN Arena! I got the tickets the day before, which was even better because it was Friday 13th! :D

It was the luckiest day ever coz I met celebs that day as well! I want another Friday 13th soon!!