Season 8: Returning Stars & Show *NO SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by mrb105, Dec 13, 2006.

1. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Re: Season 8: Returning Stars & Show

Not really. In Rory's case, it was him who decided to leave and broke the contract. We don't know what he had to pay for leaving the show, but I'm sure he had to pay something to get his "freedom". As for Vanessa, her contract was due and she just simply decided not to re-sign. In fact, her appearance in the first couple of episode in the second season of CSI: NY was a bonus she gave the fans. I'm not sure about Louise, but since her new pilot didn't get picked up and since she seems to be quite happy with CSI, I think she's more likely to stay.

2. aconnell

aconnell Dead on Arrival

How much do they spend on an episode?

3. f_f_O

f_f_O Prime Suspect

As someone who is training in theatre I can say that live theatre is not easy at all. It is not easy to avoid making mistakes, as so many people are involved. Some shows have a cast that stay with the production from beginning to end, others not.

The worst thing about live theatre is when one has been a lot on the show and suddenly has to think... "wait, did we do this scene already, or am thinking of the matinee/last night's performance?" It can be quite confusing, and even the best and most experienced actors can get flustered. A good actor will know how to glide through this sort of situation as if nothing happened, but it is a lot of work, just as much as acting for film. Also, the crew is human too. Very hard working and talented, but human. And then there's the fact that is live, and, well, things happen. Common mishaps: a zipper may break during a quickchange (a costume change taking only a few seconds or minutes), a light may burn out, a speaker blow.

A stage show looks flawless because the cast and crew are working very, very hard. It's a very tough life, and theatre actors do it because they love theatre. They could get a better-paying job somewhere else, but they love the theatre. Should someone get paid less because they love their job? No.

I think the confusion comes because on TV, there are always bloopers being shown on "entertainment news shows" and the like. But on a live stage show, everyone works so hard to cover up problems that it doesn't show.

That's why so many people do theatre, get into TV to make some money, and then go back into theatre... it's a tough life, but if you have some money already, it isn't too tough.

TV actors have the luxury of a summer break. In theatre, you've got to keep going. There really isn't that much room to move unless you have some fame and fortune coming in to theatre. Sure, you can take theatre role after theatre role, but there isn't as much choice, and sometimes you've got to take something skanky just to be able to pay the rent! The life of a professional theatre actor is gruelling, often consisting of two shows a day, singing and dancing training on the side, and sometimes even a job bussing tables on top of all that to make sure the heating bill can be paid.

All that said, I think that Ms. Fox does deserve the going rate that other CSI stars are getting. TV work can be hard. The CSI stars have the luxury of being able to theatre in their summer breaks, if they want to - the best of both worlds. It would be wrong if Ms. Fox is kicked off of CSI because she wants the going rate. If she wants to leave, that is her choice, and I while I hope she does stay, I can't really say anything derogatory if she is no longer interested in doing CSI... except that I wish she'd stick it out for the fans sake! (but that really isn't too fair)

Anyways, I hope she stays, she deserves to be paid the going rate for other CSI stars, and that they let her character shine once again. I'd be kinda disheartened too if my character went from being vibrant and curius to someone's girlfriend.

4. McStokes

McStokes Pathologist

Ah...so THAT'S what's the holdup...she wants that better parking spot! :lol:

I just have a bad feeling that this is the last season for CSI, and that makes me very sad. Seems every time I get really into a show they end it!

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Alot of stars that started out signed for about 8 seasons give or take. If when Louise joined season 5 said okay I will sign on until the rest of the contracts are up, then she would sign up until season 8. But there are some stars that will only sign a two year contract or three. It pretty much is dependent upon the star, and rather or not since they signed their original contract did they re-negotate that time frame among many other things.

Some shows will break contracts, Some shows will allow a star to break it, but in certain circumstances there are stipulations on it. As to RC and VF. We know what we know from what we have read its hard to tell the specifics of it all.

As to negotations they can for instance start now and continue into the filming of the new season only if they sign a paper saying that they won't try and pull stunts like a "Sick out" as some of the actors of "Everybody Loves Raymond" did when they wanted as reported more money, they called in claiming to be sick, once they got the reported raise they mysteriously got well. :lol: Since that time CBS and alot of networks came out with that paper saying that you will work even when negotating.

6. jorjaschainfire

jorjaschainfire Civilian

I've been searching the web (knowing how un-reliable it can be) and have come across many articles stating that Jorja will come back and many that say she's not coming back. I'm not sure if my information is right but they all say it's about money, and the fact she want's to persue other projects. Which is totally understandable, but JORJA how can CSI go on without you?! I say give her the money if that's what it's about, after 7 seasons it's definately worth it.
    With a cliffhanger like that we're all up in arms.
    I'll be on the lookout for any links I can toss everyone's way.

7. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

According to CSIFiles news Robert David Hall will be returning for season 8. Read about it here

8. csicathwillows

csicathwillows Witness

even when it is decided if jorja is coming back or not, whatever the outcome, they are going to try and keep it as quiet as possible b/c they want to keep the audience in suspense until the beginning of next season. so i wouldn't really believe any sources that are out there.

9. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

Good points. Also, if we hear Jorja is coming back for season 8...that can also be misleading. She could quite possibly only be coming back for one episode of season 8. My point is really don't know what will happen until we see the season premiere for season 8.

10. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Don't wanna sound like a broken record, so I won't and say this....if anyone hears ANYTHING about Wally Langham and if he is back or not for season 8, can they PM me? I would love to know

11. Maryse

Maryse Lab Technician

i think it will take a few weeks before we actually hear anything...but i imagine if anyone hears anything...we will know!

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I just watched WP at the CUBS game live, at Wrigley Field, and he told the announcer who was chatting with him [in the sky box] about CSI, and when they started back.. he said we start filming in July, which he said gave them 9 week's off, to see family and the CUBS" so he is coming back, this is from his own lips! ;) he was delightful and beyond charming! a real treat to see him live :cool:[​IMG]

13. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

The quote from the "Spoiler Rumor" thread.
    If he left the show (ie character wise) doesn't mean he would leave as an Exe Producer, alot of times when actors want time off or do not want to be on a show anymore and yet want to stay connected they continue on behind the camera instead of infront of it. Also they do this when they want to make sure that they have a steady job, this means that IF he left but stayed as the Exe Producer, he could guest star anytime or not.

14. seattlecsifan

seattlecsifan Hit and Run

I think that when TV actors are in contract negotiations with the studio its not really about the money. The money is just the indicator for respect & power. If the network offers you way less money than other actors its disrespectful, & if the network has to pay way more than they want they lose their power over the actor.

15. lucyj0720

lucyj0720 Hit and Run

It is the pay rise is what is supposed to happen, it isn't about greed it is about CBS honouring their actors and not bulking at the pay rises they are supposed to give.
    Remember that Marg and Alan are deeply SAG, so Marg would be fighting for Jorja's rights here, so would Billy. Remember Jorja is at an age were the work dries up for women, she would need to know she has a job to go to before she quit voluntarily.
    If Billy quits because he feels angry at CBS, which if Jorja is fired he will be, they will lose him altogether.
    Not only that but a move to fire someone like Jorja who has become a huge star in CSI, will re-verbarate into Miami and NY because nobody will trust the CBS executives.
    Emily Procter is Jorja's best friend, Jorja helped her get her job and at The West Wing. So it the damage would reach across the franchise.