Speed/Rory #16: ~~"Welcome to the Big Leagues"~~

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

New thread! With thread-warming gifts! It already feels homey in here. :D

I'm the loser who hasn't seen Rory in anything besides CSI: Miami and a few interviews. But from what I hear, I think Speed would take top prize. He's laid back, he's funny, he's dedicated and yet he has a life outside of work, and he doesn't get too emotional (which is good, but I like emotions too) and when he does, it makes a really wonderful moment. I think Speed is a real character. I love him.

I was thinking about something that has to do with Speed and Horatio. H became the whole 'Super-H' image right around s3. I know he has a helluva lot of crap happen to him, but maybe Speed's death caused him to really just crack. H became emotionally detatched, which is why we get the hard image we do, and I think Speed has a lot to do with it. They were best friends, he's never been as emotional as he was when Speed died. And the look in his eyes was emptiness. Hope I don't sound sappy but I really think Speed's death pushed him over. Maybe as we go on he'll get better. :D Sorry if this was too OT, and once again, welcome everyone to the new thread! *throws party*

2. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i understand what you're saying. ;) i think, too, that watching Speed die added fuel to the fire. there was nothing poor Horatio could do. :( well, Horatio still has Delko.

3. SincerelyInDenial

SincerelyInDenial Police Officer

I'm going to add to that... Speed's untimely death affected the entire team, not just Horatio. None of the characters have really been the same since. I mean let's take a look at the more obvious effects - Eric (despite him being the biggest flirt ever) began toothing, Calleigh became quite emotionally guarded (and then let's not even begin talking about the season 3 finale and how that affected her in season four) and then came the arrival of Ryan who knew from the get go that he had huge shoes to fill.

The team has not been the same since Speed's death and I have yet to meet anyone who has disagreed with that statement. Our Timmy had such an integral role in the team... it's such a shame that he's gone. I wonder all the time how seasons would have gone had he not been killed off.

4. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

^ I agree. Everyone's been different, less laid back and humorous. It was a mircale when we saw Eric cracking jokes after Wolfe was fired because I don't remember him- or anyone, really- being as lighthearted since Speed was around. Not only was he funny and sarcastic, he brought that feeling with him. He made crime scenes fun. :lol:

Theres a great question: if Speed hadn't been killed off, what would you have expected or want to have happened? I would have wanted Ryan to join anyway- it would have been interesteing to see the two together. It's a shame because they're both such great characters played by great actors and I would have loved to see them together. Unfortunetely we need fics for that. :lol:

I also would have wanted to see more of Speed's family, his past. He had been so secretive, kind of closed up and he barely ever let anyone in, only Horatio and only once that I can remember ('Wannabe', Speed got a bit teary and just asked him what he could do after this. It was very touching), maybe twice, and to see him more open with someone, maybe tell them about his family or his past (which could be very dark for all we know) would have been great. Rory, as we all know, would have done wonderfully playing out Speed's emotions, as he hadn't done before. That's one of the things I like about Ryan, he wears his heart on his sleeve and is pretty open and emotional and I would have loved to see Speed like that.

Lastly, Speed spoke of family. Why not give him one? It would have been amazing to see him with a woman, in a relationship, at work or not, and to maybe even have a kid. Again, we only see Speed with kids in FF (Geni :lol:) and what would CSIM Speed be like with kids? I imagine he would melt and become more of a softy, not much, but more than with other people. He would trust his kids and family more, and we'd see a different side of Speed.

Sorry for any grammar, spelling or other mistakes. Or if I sounds repetitive. It's late. :lol:

5. SincerelyInDenial

It's a shame we only got to see them during the funeral... I will say that it was interesting that we didn't see his brother. At least tptb remembered Tim and his bro weren't exactly close. Omgosh am I giving them credit for getting something right...is that shall we say, continuity? Wow!

and...

Tim would've been a great dad, imo. Now, this maybe too much of a stretch but to me this was the closest thing we ever got to him mentioning that he would like a family in the future or well at least didn't rule it out completely:

Speed: I’m just happy I have my bike.

Horatio: Some day, you might need something with doors.

Speed: Well, I got plenty of time for that.

I think that is the one scene that breaks my heart right before Tim is shot. But at least he does get to live on (and as a father too) in fanfics. I'll take what I can get.

6. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Edited by Mod as quoting pictures takes up precious bandwidth ;)

Awww bless that picture, I've never seen it before. I just googled their photographer and found a couple of thumbnails of the Cochrane's on his site. :cool:

Brendan Siobhan and Rory, you couldn't get more Irish names if you tried :lol:

7. kasi

kasi Civilian

my fav. role rory played is (beside tim) lucas(love that film), chinatown in "the adventure of sebatien cole"(love that psycho XD) and mabe in right at your door, although I haven't watched it yet or felix in sunset strip.

8. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i noticed that too! it makes me so mad that they killed him off. i guess thats why i refuse to watch the season 3 premiere. my sister thinks i'm being ridiculous but its not the same without Speed!

9. Need4Speed

Need4Speed Coroner

I wrote a fanfic series about Speed having a relationship and kids. but it's not the same as actually seeing him with kids on the show.

10. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i'm still working on my manga about Speed. i came up with a story line up to three chapters now i just have to start drawing it.

11. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Yesterday my dad and I went to Blockbuster to get a movie to watch, and I saw 'A Scanner Darkly' and flipped out. :lol: He kept asking me why in the hell I'd want to see it and I just kept pointing to Rory's name. It was pretty funny.

Which is sad, because they mentioned it right before he died. It's as if he was just planning, or even thinking about, settling down, about family and what he wanted to do with his life, and then they end it. (I mean I know he was saying he had plenty of time but he was indicating that there would be a time when he would need to provide for a family) It was sort of a hint. *sigh* But I can imagine him a wonderful father and family member, different than he is at work, but still very Speed-ish. Thank God for FF, I need some Speed to fufil my daily requirements. :D

12. SincerelyInDenial

Oh I agree with you 110%. The whole episode was terribly cliched... tptb were driving the nail home that he was going to be killed off. Take for instance, Calleigh's comment, "I may kill Speedle." It was a little ridiculous, especially when you include the reason he died was because of a dirty gun. :(

Imo, tptb succeeded in disgracing the name of such an integral character. Granted, it was done purposefully because they were angry that he was leaving but they could've gone another route with killing him off or at least not using such blatant irony.

As it were, I agree (and I know all of you would agree when I say this) with Rory that 'it was lame.' And isn't it funny that Speed remained one of the most popular characters afterwards? *raises fist* And since everything in life is now about the numbers (which equal money), if they brought him back as someone who faked his death and was living covertly as an agent or in witness protection, I feel that the ratings would sky rocket even more so.

Anyway, that's my two cents and I am sticking to it. :)

13. Need4Speed

Need4Speed Coroner

awww. now i'm sad :( i miss Speed!!! why'd he have to die?! why!! why couldn't Stetler die instead!! no one would miss him!!!! but noooo they killed off Speed!! one of the most loved characters on the show!!!!! the writers just make me soooo mad!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

First, I agree with everything you said in your post...

Second, perhaps we shoud have called this thread "Speed/Rory #16: Conspiracy Theory" or something :lol:

15. Need4Speed

Need4Speed Coroner

don't you mean #17? lol! and i agree!! if they brought him back like that the raitings would go through the roof!! and it would also be the perfect oportunity for everyone to apologize to Ryan for treating him like a dirtbag for replacing Speed!!! so that way both the Speed fans and the Ryan fans would be happy, making the raitings go up even more than just bringing Speed back!! oh and i so know that he's alive!! In Lost Son when H is talking to Stetler we see Alexx examining Speed on the floor, but right before Alexx lifts up Speed's shirt to see his wound you see him breathe!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.