The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

Exactly here is the big problem for me. The game was woeful and boring - only little good moments. OK this is final and I had to expect matck like this. :( But the only one consolation for me is that Liverpool weren't 'beaten' by Milan. Milan win the cup, but with this game and both teams just suck.

2. kimi

kimi Lab Technician

I was heartbroken when I saw Steven Gerrard at the end of the match, he was so sad :(, seemed lost *sigh*.
    Damned Inzaghi :mad:

Are there any Euro 08' qualification matches soon ? I think so.
    I miss the World Cup atmosphere...the good old days :D
    I'm really looking forward to the European Championship...okay first my team has to be qualified :lol: :lol:

3. Footyliz

Footyliz Coroner

Oh I've just about recovered enough to comment...just gutted, we actually had a fair few chances but the smae problem we have had all year no cutting edge up front!

It was never going to be a really exciting match because Rafa is an incredible tactician but very cautious, good for us normally, but difficult when something like the first goal goes against you because we have to come out and attack...not so easy when perhaps our best player on the pitch was Mascherano...a defensive midfielder. But at least we got there ;)

Looking forward to an interesting summer, am very optimistic about next year. :D

4. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

DERBY COUNTY ARE GOING UP TO THE PREMIERSHIP!!!!
    If there were anything that could make up for liverpool losing it was this comon!

5. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I know and they are the most bent nation in Football :rolleyes: it pee's me off no end.

6. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

Milan shouldn't have even been allowed to play in the champs league the whole thing is a sham but we'll be back stronger and better again next year like stevie said :)

7. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Ah, it's so silly feeling. Most of leagues end and like Champion's League final... and ours just started few weeks ago :p Well... it's bit hard here to play football in wintertime :rolleyes:

8. Ducky

Great, we lost to Serbia yesterday 0-2 :rolleyes: I guess we can now say goodbye to the EC dreams, because we've lost already two games. Oh they were so helpless! ANd poor Tainio injured himself :(

Will play against Belgium in Wednesday.

Oh, did anyone see a clip of that angry Danish fan who attacked on referee in Sweden-Denmark game?

9. Ducky

Hee, triple post :D

We beat Belgia today 2-0 :D Johansson <3 He is so great and I am so happy that he scored. Too bad Forssell has no luck and he plays only last minutes :(

Oh! I don't know did any of you see or will see tomorrow clips/photos of an OWL that landed middle of the field on 18th minute :eek: The commentators were talking about "an owl" when the game began with "oh, the fella who has season ticket seems to be here tonight with us" and I was like what a... then it landed there... and then flew to sat on Belgia's goal... and then flew a circle and sat there again.. .and then flew to Finland's goal and sat there until someone kicked the post and it started attacking people until it sat again on a fence :lol: :lol: It was so hilarious

10. Footyliz

Footyliz Coroner

Well a good win for us...welcome back Becks, we missed you :D
    Great goal from Joe Cole.

I am still mad though. What on earth does Jamie Carragher have to do to get into the England side :eek:

He has been one of the best centre halves in europe for the last three seasons..two champions league finals and he has been awesome. So ferdinand is out, lets play Ledley King, what a excellent idea, and not even good enough for right back, lets play Wes Brown. I have nothing against either player to be fair, but I think it is about time we gave Carragher a chance to show himself at centre back for he country, he has more than earned it :mad:

11. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

I haven't seen that Ducky, but I really want to! Sounds very funny, and I also love owls, or wols as we call them (being Winnie The Pooh fans)! :D

12. Ducky

here's one pic

its last round

On goal

in the air

landing

It's amazing bird and wonderful to see close. I've seen one once when I was fishing in the evening

And
    :lol: Sports news on Channel Nelonen called it "Lucky Owl" because 1) it sat TWICE on Belgium's goal and 2) we got our first goal only a few minutes after the owl had...erm... left the goal

Coaches and referees were laughing so much. They were probably reading UEFA's rulebook about "what to do when owl is on the field"

One tabloid-like paper said "own probably was tired to watch boring game and went to check both nets"

It has been living at the stadium since March and it's called "Bubi" which is nickname for our one wonderful sports commentator, Bror-Erik Wallenius :lol:

Ohoh! vid clip

The other (who talks less) commentator is our old goalie, Annti Niemi and when the own lands on the fence, he says "Oh, it wants to be a press member"

13. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Oh Ducky, that's brilliant! :lol: Thanks so much for posting the photos and the clip. You have definitely made my day! :D

Do you know how long the game had to be halted for? Owl stop play! What a beautiful bird too, as you said. :)

14. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I'm pleased with England performance last night. Although 3-0 is a modest score. It should have been a cricket score agaisnt Estonia, no disrepect :cool:

Idiot Peter Crouch getting himself booked :rolleyes: he's a feckin' numpty.

I'm pleased DB7 is back in the Squad. For me England hasn't been the same since he left. I know alot of people don't rate him as a top player anymore. But he is, and 9 times out of 10 England play better when he's in the Squad. If Steve McLaren can call the likes of the Neville brothers. Peter Crouch, Kieron Dyer, Ledley King and Michael Carrick, then there is no way he can leave Beckham out. I'm more than thrilled he is back and has given more than his fair share of effort in Englands last 2 games.

I just bloody hope they keep their socks pulled up and top this Qualifyiny group because if Iseral, Croatia or Russia go through at the expensive of England it will be a National Embaressment and Steve McLaren will probably have to go into Exile :p

15. Ducky

It was stopped for some 7-8 mins. Here's the full clip

:lol: :lol: around 2 mins of that clip, spectators yell "HUUHKAJA! HUUHKAJA!" which is eagle owl in Finnish.
    And I just read... that another name for "huuhkaja" in Finnish is hyypiä :eek: So some newspapers were putting headlines "Hyypiä was on the field anyhow" and Sami said that he should get those owlearkindof hairtcut :lol: Sami didn't play because had gotted too many yellow cards in past games.

The radio commentator was so great. I just listened to it (they store clips to broadcastingcompany's website)

"OWL IS IN THE AIR! OWL IS NOW ON THE FIELD! How beautiful it is, how they will remove it... it wants to be part of the game.. It flies TOWARDS BELGIA*S GOAL! GOES ON TOP OF THE GOAL, NO GOAL BUT IT SITS ON GOAL! This can only happen in Helsinki Olympic Stadium"

Seriously, this is big. Since Wed, papers have been all about the owl, eagleowl to be more exact. Finland has gone eagle owl mad. One tabloidnewspaper even printed "Fan poster" of this eagle owl :lol: :lol:

And probably from now on our national football team will be called "Eagle Owls" :lol: :lol: We are owl mad people now.

The Belgian players complained about stopping the game
    Tho their goalie had said he so doesn't want to go near his goal right now (when it was sitting on it) Same with Jässi (Jääskeläinen)
    :rolleyes: Well, it's kind of big bird and has bit sharp claws so I think it was much better so it wouldn't have start attacking players. And 4kg heavy owl isn't nice to run to.

Stadium has concerts and they think it will tolerate Genesis concert that is on Monday but Metallica will be bit too hard ;)