Grade CSI: NY Season Three!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 21, 2007.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Well, the third season has wrapped up in the U.S. and summer hiatus is upon us, but what better time to look back and let us know what you thought of the show's third season. What did you like? What didn't you like? Give the season a grade and share your thoughts here!

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I went with an A-

I thought overall the cases were better than the ones second season, and I found myself enjoying the episodes more overall. There were no horrors like "All Access" this season, at least. :lol: Most of the episodes had me pretty entertained.

I thought Mac had phenomenal character development over the course of the season. I was rather indifferent to him in seasons one and two, but felt like he really came into his own this year.

Stella at least wasn't victimized this season, but I did feel like she lacked a strong storyline. The HIV scare was half-done and didn't feel inspired. Because it was Stella and not one of the supporting characters, I felt there was no suspense as to whether or not she'd be positive.

Danny was sadly saddled with a silly love story this year, which wouldn't have been so bothersome if it hadn't taken away from everything that made the character interesting--his fire, his passion, his backstory. I hope the sparks we saw in the finale from him when he was held hostage will carry over into next season.

I loved Flack's clash with Mac, and felt like we gained some real insight into his love of his job and his deep sense of loyalty. I'd love to see something come along to shake that faith, but it's nice to see a character so centered too.

Hawkes still needs more to do, but I loved seeing glimpses into his past in "And Here's to You, Mrs. Azrael" and to see him go badass in the finale. Who knew the well mannered doctor had it in him? More, please!

Lindsay remains the show's weak link, both in her storyline and her portrayal. Yes, I know Anna was pregnant for most of the season. No, it doesn't excuse her subpar acting and weak delivery. I still say the show would be better off without her.

The supporting cast--Sid, Adam, Peyton, Angell--all shine, and I really enjoyed what they each added to the show this season.

All in all, good season!

3. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I gave it a C-, and it was saved from an F only because of the Flack arc and the development of the minor characters. The cases were often bland and uninspired, thrown over in favor of the nauseating winkie Bolshoi between Danny and Lindsay. "Sleight Out of Hand," "Silent Night, "Consequences", "What Schemes May Come," and "Snow Day" were the only memorable episodes of the season for me. Five out of twenty-three is not good, and with D/L rumored to be pushed in S4, I'm not optimistic.

4. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

I give it a B+ overall. Not fabulous, but not too bad either.

The good:
    Mac finally getting some love; we get to see the team match wits with a kid who made them work for it; we learn a bit more about the good Dr. Hawkes; and we got more Sid, Adam, and Angell.

The bad:
    Stunt casting is not your friend. Sacha Cohen? Stinker. Marlee Matlin and John McEnroe were the exceptions to this though. And what the hell happened to Danny Messer this season? Was he so broken up by his brother that they put him on prozac leading to....

The Ugly:
    Lindsay's bed (okay, fine, his pool table)? A season-long sh*t-show of dancing around each other and consummating the relationship at the bottom of a bottle of tequila. Ugh.

On the whole, the cases were interesting, and the spacing was a hell of a lot better than last season. I would have loved to have seen the continuity fairy bless this show a lot better than it did. We needed to see Flack have some stress issuing from his major season-ending trauma and Danny's brother get more than a casual mention.

5. jazzfan

jazzfan CSI Level Two

I gave it an A- because overall I really enjoyed most of the cases and thought they were intriguing.

The show didn't have that copycat feel to it that I sensed in earlier seasons.

6. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I enjoyed this season- we learnt a lot more about characters in y opinion and there were many wierd and wounderful cases!

7. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

I gave it a C. It was mediocre season (for me).
    I liked most of the cases. The show just didn't hold my attention span that much. I originally started watching NY to get away from Vegas for awhile, but NY never captivated me like Vegas did. Hopefully it will be much better next season.

8. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

So far - I'm a few episodes short - I'd give it a B+.

Good storylines, with some ingenious twists and turns.

I liked the character development of Mac, making him more human and I liked his relationship with Peyton too.

Also liked the fact that the charcters of both Flack and Hawkes were given greater development and that we saw more of Sid and Adam.

Still liked Danny, there were moments of true greatness there, particularly in both the Shane Casey episodes. But I'm afraid I found all the D/L stuff a great disappointment - didn't play to the strengths of either character.

So all-in-all not too bad, I just wish they'd drop those awful one-liners; they're toe-curlingly awful and make me cringe..even Danny can't carry them off...

9. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

Pretty much my sentiments, too, except I didn't get the part about the "Flack arc"--what? A couple scenes of tenseness between Mac and Flack isn't exactly what I'd call an arc. I must have missed something, but then, this season wasn't all that inspiring for me. There were some good points, so the season wasn't a total washout, but I'm not feeling inclined to continue watching next season. Maybe spoilers for the new seaon will persuade me to change my mind.

10. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

I gave it a B.. some eppys I loved some I couldn't wait till they were done... overall, I thought everyone was fantastic, including Adam, Peyton, Sid and Angell, and I hope next season everyone continues to flourish!

11. detdonflackjr

detdonflackjr Rookie

A-

I really enjoyed this season. Best season of CSI NY so far IMO..began well and ended phenomenal. Only reason I didn't give it an A and an A- is because I couldnt stand Angell and I am glad she is gone.

12. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

A-

the cases were interesting and the guest stars great in most of the epies and personal plot lines made it even more interesting. and it was fun

13. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

For me, there's been no middle ground about the season so far (I'm only up to The Ride In so far) the episodes have either been really good or really bad. The Shane Casey arc has been a high point. But the D/L silliness has been a total turn off for me, so episodes like Love Run Cold and Oedipus Hex have left me wanting to shake the writers to drop the D/L and concentrate on better things.

14. shaofu

shaofu Hit and Run

Like you, Top41, I gave the season an A- and for the same reasons. There were moments of greatness like the Shane Casey two-part story and I liked the introduction of Reed Garrett. I also really liked the character insights, especially Mac, Hawkes and Adam but the D/L romance was pathetic in both its writing and execution. I am hoping this will die a quick death early on in Season 4. I don't think the writers will just abandon it, much as I'd prefer that, but I really am worried that, if this storyline continues in the way it did in Season 3, Carmine will literally jump ship. We saw glimpses of the Danny we had grown to love in the first two seasons and Carmine had obviously worked hard to develop such an intriguing character but it was all for nothing in Season 3. I am not so opposed to the Mac/Peyton storyline as, at least, this is handled in a mature way and is not constantly forced down our throats. I'm hoping there will be less romance all round and more concentration on the cases next season.

15. Crying_Danny

Crying_Danny Hit and Run

I gave it B. Some episodes were awesome and then some were a little boring. so B it is!