Grade 'Snow Day'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 16, 2007.

1. macpeyfan

macpeyfan Witness

I thought the truck blocking the door was great - Yes, Hawkes, that's thinking! Hawkes was great in this episode - door blocking, rising from the dead, the bone saw. And that line of his - "You wanna play dead? Turn around."

Evil Hawkes, Evil Mac this epi - don't mess with our lab.

(I'm glad to see another Peyton fan too)

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^Loved Hawkes blocking the door! Hawkes was all kinds of clever in this ep. Like you said, rising from the dead and the bone saw were great, too. :lol: Loved seeing Sheldon getting creative!

They switched shifts--his simply started later than hers did, so it wasn't technically a day off. That's why she showed up outside the lab.

3. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I agree.

It goes without saying that characters are more engaging when they are given full personalities instead of story-line functions; for example, "tonight your function is to be the ditressed girlfriend." But, really, not even the main characters consistently get stellar writing every week, let alone the B-Squad (to borrow that term from the Life Aquatic).

I think that when the writers let her have:
    - a full personality (standing up to Mac, supporting Mac, chastising Danny, challenging Hawkes' record)
    - a sense of humour (coin toss with Sid, liver pate etc)
    - and be an ME (she's had more field calls than any other ME)

as well as be Mac's girlfriend that she is fun and brings out a more human side to Mac. I thought their scenes together were handled pretty well all season. I started out indifferent to her too early this season, but was happy to see Mac getting a life, whoever it was with. I've come around to them, and to Peyton individually, and seeing Mac evolve this season was really welcome.

4. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

I am reading all your great comments about the season finale and after watching it myself, I really need to give my 2 cts into the discussion.

As far as for Peyton in the seasons finale....

Though I am a devoted Mac/Stella shipper, I never had hard feelings for Peyton cause I never felt she 's gonna really threat my ship and all those eppies where she was showing up were kinda nice to watch. I still got my SMACk input and I was fine seeing Mac with this woman in a intimate relationship. Mainly, I liked it, because I don't wanna see my actual ship on the show being together (If I would be a D/L shipper, that I am fortunately not, I would be devasted by now, cause next season it'll get straight to hell.. but nevermind... ) and Peyton was some kind of interim's love interest of Mac, not really bothering my ship, but helping Mac's character to envolve more into that kind and sweet man he must have been before the death of his wife. Stella mentioned that a couple of times before.

But now, after watching the finale, I've changed my mind... I sooo disliked that Peyton-Mac interaction in the finale cause it... I can't really put it... it just bugged me as hell.

She was WAY to pushy and WAY to demanding on him. That's what has always bugged me, but here in the finale, it really just destroyed things completely. She should have known best what Mac has been going through in the last couple of years and his resuming from grief. If his wife wouldn't have died on 9/11, he wouldn't even bother to look for a new woman at his side and she should understand the difficulties he has with replacing his wife.

But the only thing I see all the time is, that she ignores that and demands him to commit to more. He does, of course, because he is a such a sweet and tender man, but she still kinda force it onto him.

That's what I like so much about that adult relationship Stella has with Mac. She never pushes (sp?) him - except from work related stuff - to do things he is not ready for, but Peyton does. And the season finale REALLY got grist on my mill here!!! I mean, seriously... buying a bloody ticket already before even having asked if he wants to come with her is REALLY pushy and if my significant other would do that, I'd look at him stern, asking if he lost his mind or so!!

Yeah, I know, this is just a TV show and I shouldn't take anything for real, but I just dislike women who are like that and all season long, I really gave her the benefit of the doubt, but IF Peyton returns, I heartily ask TPTB to seperate her from Mac. I don't dislike the character and she can be on the show for how long as TPTB wants her, I don't mind, but please gimme a break on more of those kinda scenes. That's really bad stuff.

Besides that, I LOVED THE FINALE! It was the very best finale ever! YEAH! :D :D :D And it was even one of my top most best liked shows of NY ever! Great stuff!! :D :D :D

I hope TPTB is going to give us some aftermaths about this eppy next season and some more action focused eppies, cause this one was just friggin' excellent! A++++++++++++

(Sorry for all my mistakes, I am not a native and I was kinda too lazy to sort out all my - I guess mainly grammatical - errors.)

5. macpeyfan

macpeyfan Witness

Ok, so you look at him stern and have a disagreement-it's real! And that is what Mac and Peyton's relationship is - it's real. It's up, it's down, they make misteps and they work through them. They disagree, they argue, they make up. Not every move is perfect, nor should it be. A "perfect" relationship would be boring. Both in real life and on a TV show.

6. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Peyton had better writing in "Comes Around" than in "Snow Day." Do what you can with what you've been written. The writers and the director have a hand in what we see too.

It made me squirm a little too, I admit, how she approached Mac in his office, but for the whole of the season the writers did a lot better by her character, and their interaction was MUCH more fun to watch. Hope this was just to set up how season 4 will begin, perhaps in London. Hope they keep her around, with better writing, better parts than she got in the finale. (Same goes for Sid.) :D

7. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

macpeyfan, we've discovered before that we'll never reach the point of agreeing on Mac's relationship, I guess. ;)

Nevermind... your words are completely true. Relationships need to grow and have ups and downs, but for me it was kinda too much tonight. It's just me though and I have to say, I am kinda not objective towards Peyton... ;)

8. CSIFray

CSIFray Lab Technician

I agree with BonaTaylor I really didn't like the scene where Peyton asked Mac to go with him... I accually relatively liked Peyton a lot... but that just kinda dashed most of my respect for her...

Being that pushy is way not cool. It's just kinda saying that she's spoiled if she pushes to get her way... But like I said... I like the charator out of relationship wise... It was just that one scene...

I don't know what it was but I cracked up when Peyton asked for the cup of tea... it was just... I dunno... See, I liked her in that scene...

Question: When did Adam start working scenes? I thought he worked in the lab...
    I loved the finale otherwise... I am a D/L shipper also and I was all happy sooo yeah, I loved it. Action filled and kept on the edge of my seat... uh bed...

9. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Exactly my point. They've been together what, nearly two years now? And she still needs to trick him into spending time with her. If you still need to do stuff like that then guess what, honey, maybe you need to buy yourself a copy of He's Just Not That Into You.

I see Mac and Peyton as an 'oh, well' relationship, especially from Mac's side. I get the feeling he's with her because eh, she's around. She's pretty. Other than that, I don't get why he's with her. I don't get why he would be in love with her (and I don't think he is, and if he still isn't after two years then they're both wasting their time). Sometimes I get the feeling he's with her because she's absolutely obsessed with keeping the relationship alive.

Plus, she serves no purpose. She's like a WW2 wife constantly waiting for her soldier to come home and I hate women like that. She's constantly bugging him and confronting him about his feelings and their relationship, and doing absolutely everything possible to keep him happy and pleased. I can see Mac at home jerking off in the bathroom and Peyton outside, knocking on the door, "are you okay, Mac? Is it coming along nicely? Do you need any help?" God, let the man breathe every once in a while.

Also, yes, she's British. I get it. I get it. I GET IT!! I promise I get it.

10. DistractedlyHere

DistractedlyHere Victim

OK....I read most of the posts...and I am a hard-core CSI:NY fan, I love it, I really do, but...COME ON a little bit here.

FIRST OF ALL - Isn't Flack a HOMICIDE detective, why is he even making a narcotics bust in the first place (let alone without the gear the rest of the team has. But I will defer to the "letting the pretty out" comment previously mentioned.) Then he later becomes a memeber of the bomb squad and/or SWAT team going back to the building. I grew p and worked in NY there are much more qualified people to have gotten on scene much quicker than our beloved (and I do love him) Flack.

Second - I am a shipper - really I am....but he had a pool table and a motorcycle INSIDE his 4th floor apartment?? On a civilan servant's salary? His Daddy MUST be in the mob. And, is that the story the shippers envisioned D&L telling the grandkids? "I got your Grandma drunk on shots and banged her on the pool table?"

And thirdly - Die-Hard rip-off anyone???

For a season finale there are no questions left unanaswered. I guess we could invent them:
    - Will Peyton's cheek implants explode on the Trans-atlantic flight?
    - Will Danny's fake hand screw with the force? Oh wait that was Luke and Return of the Jedi.

11. devildoll

devildoll Hit and Run

It is not just "spending time with her". It is to let him get off work for 10 days (yeah I know, big deal, but that man only missed 5.5 days of work since he joined NYPD). It is not like spend a weekend or so.

And put a chapter into that copy of He's Just Not That Into You -

One: Walked away after a little disagreement, if he didn't drag you back and kiss you, obviously he's not that into you. If he did, he's still not that into you because you are the only chick around there and you are kissable.

Two: Call him saying you hit your head and wait. If he walked downstair to see you, he's not that into you. If he run to you with all the concerned looks, he's still not that into you, because he just need daily exercise and you are happened to be on his way and you are pretty. Even he fainted and weeped, he's not that into you, because it's just the wound on your forehead looks too scary and messy.

Three: When he made commitment to make things work and held you into his arms, and said he didn't want to lose you, DON'T BELIEVE THIS MAN!! He didn't mean it and he's not that into you. He's just... well, being nice and keep you around so he can jump on and off you on a daily/weekly basis.

Four: If you are British, say no more, he's not that into you!!

That's GOLD, really.

12. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

That is actually precisely what I want in my life. A guy who'll pay attention to me every once in a while and only due to extreme circumstances. SO I CAN FEEL LIKE A PRINCESS WEEEEEE!

13. flackie_girl

flackie_girl Civilian

I want some basic answers.

1. Isn't Flack a homicide detective? what is he doing with the narcartics? What do the homicide detectives do in NY? :confused:

2. Is it usual procedure that the detective-in-charge answers to all the press? I thought there was some spokesperson or it was something that should be done by a higher-up like captain maybe.

14. MacFlackNCaine

MacFlackNCaine Dead on Arrival

Have to agree on the motorcycle thing. That did stick out like a sore thumb.

And sure Flack isn't in three units at once, but the same suspension of disbelief we have when he (Flack) works with the same set of six or so CSIs in the entire City Of New York.

My question is why go through all the trouble in getting pillows and sheets for the pool table?

Lastly, I think it was supposed to be a send-up to Die Hard.

15. devildoll

devildoll Hit and Run

That's why I am not surprised to see people view things in quite different ways. But it was fun. :lol: