CSI: New York--'Snow Day'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, May 17, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

Synopsis:

Flack and his team hit pay dirt when they successfully seize 900 kilograms of cocaine and heavy weaponry from the team of drug lord Gavin Wilder. Shockingly, the drug lord himself is found dead from a gunshot wound to the back. The body, the drugs and the weapons are taken back to the lab, while Adam is left behind to process the scene. Mac sends Danny, who has taken over Lindsay's shift after the two spent the night together, to help him, but when Danny arrives he's hit over the head and taken prisoner. The gang has returned, intent on getting their drugs back, and have taken Adam and several officers hostage. Danny tries to get a call out on his cell, but one of the thugs sees him and crushes both the phone--and Danny's hand. Adam tells Danny that the men tortured him into giving up the access codes to the lab. Danny fakes an escape attempt in order to give Adam a chance to grab Marquis solution from his kit.

A gas leak causes the lab to be evacuated, saving Mac from having to give Peyton an answer when she suggests they take a vacation to London together. Mac and Stella are suspicious when they discover a burner emitting gas from a liquid not typically used in the lab, and their suspicions grow when the find both cell phone service and the lab lines and internet are down. Their fears are proved to be founded when a group of men, dressed in gas company garb, storm the lab, looking for the drugs and weapons Flack's team seized earlier. An instant message on the computer reveals Dr. Hawkes is still in the morgue; he too figured out the leak was a fake. The ringleader, Colm Gunn, notices something is off and starts a hunt for the CSIs, killing one of his own men in the process. Mac sends the body down to the morgue so that Sheldon can extract and examine the bullet. Stella lifts Colm's prints off the elevator and matches them to ones found on a gun near Gavin Wilder's body, proving Colm killed Gavin.

The thugs in the warehouse force Danny to call Flack, and the homicide detective brings a team to the warehouse where he's met by Lindsay, who came to work and learned Danny had been abducted. The abductors prepare to disguise themselves as cops and send the real cops out dressed in their clothes, but Danny foils their plans by throwing the Marquis solution in their face. Lindsay takes charge of the badly wounded Danny while Flack and his team discover gas canisters in one of the abductor's cars and realize the gas leak at the lab was faked. Back at the lab, Mac, Stella and Hawkes have taken steps to prevent the gang from making off with the drugs. Hawkes matched the bullet in the dead man to one that killed FBI officer Candace Broadbent months ago, and Mac confronts Colm Gunn with the knowledge that he killed Candace. Mac and Colm get into a fistfight and Colm lunges for his gun--falling into a booby trap Mac set earlier and blowing himself--and part of the lab--up in the process. The lab secure, Mac decides to accompany an overjoyed Peyton to London.

Analysis:

<font color=yellow>Pam Veasey</font>, who co-wrote this episode with fellow Executive Producer <font color=yellow>Peter M. Lenkov</font>, referred to it in TV Guide as "Die Hard in the Lab" and boy, she wasn't kidding. There's more action packed into this episode than most thrillers boast, and even an episode of Miami doesn't often reach these heights. The action starts about fifteen minutes in and doesn't let up until the final scene, when Mac rushes out of the building.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Excellent review, as always. There were so many fantastic things about this finale that I really hate the way the D/L junk dragged it backward. All of the actors did a fantastic job in their action scenes (well, one type of action at least--I didn't pay too very much attention to the action going on in Danny's apartment).

I suppose it's too much to hope that the writers have gotten smex-on-a-pool-table out of the way and from now on will concentrate on everything else. :rolleyes: I find myself unimpressed that Danny and Lindsay are the first characters to bump uglies on screen. Is it out of your system now, writers? Can we move on to something much more interesting?

And on that note, let's hope this is a sign that all of our favorite returning characters will also be around next season. :)

3. catey1234

catey1234 Pathologist

Actually, I found Peyton to be quite the irritating character this episode. Generally she doesn't bother me, but from the getgo in this episode she was irritating. Talk about being in the show for one reason only, maybe she should join Lindsay in that club. It wasn't realism, she was there to continually put Mac in danger, not be the first to pick up on things.
    Other than Peyton, the cast did a phenomenal job. The action was intense, everyone was on their best this episode(well, except for Peyton). I'm glad they did not go the cliffhanger route, because I hate cliffhangers. While I disagree with your opinion on a few things, I've come to expect them from you in every review. To each their own, I guess. This is the best New York has been all season. It certainly blew Miami away, in the finale department.

4. lovingtaylor

lovingtaylor Victim

I can't say that I think Lindsay Monroe adds a lot to the show but her character was minimalized this year because Anna Belknap had a baby and was away for a significant period of time. And Eva LaRue's Natalia Boa Vista on CSI Miami is more useless and more annoying in my opinion.

I've heard that Gary Sinise produced this episode, though haven't seen a confirmation of that anywhere. It always seems the more involved he is in the course of the episode behind the scenes the better it turns out to be on screen.

I thought it was great to see Flack get some time in this ep too - honestly, I'm not sure I have ever enjoyed an episode of any of the three CSI as much as I enjoyed this one.

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Thank you! :) And yes, the action scenes were very well done and exciting. The writing, directing and acting really came together well in this episode.

Oh, let's hope so. It's taken up too much time of both of the characters' development this season. Lindsay of course had her dark secret as well (poorly executed and acted, but at least it was something else), but Danny has had little else to do this season and it really hurt the character. Now that they're together, I hope we can move on--and that we're not going to be saddled with having to see their first fight, seeing them bicker at crime scenes, break up, get back together, get engaged, plan a wedding, get married, etc., etc. Leave that to Grey's Anatomy, which does it much better. ;)

Well, she was cast specifically as Mac's love interest (unlike Lindsay, who is purportedly a main character), but I feel like she's moved beyond that. I love how she interacts with the other characters as well, and there are even scenes between her and Mac where I'm not constantly reminded that they're dating. Yes, she put Mac in danger in this episode when she called his cell phone not knowing he was in the middle of a showdown with Colm, but I think she acted like any woman concerned for her boyfriend would have. And a large part of Peyton's role has been to open Mac up and make him more human, which she has. Who accumulates 7 weeks of vacation over several years? :eek: Mac needed to lighten up, and she's done that.

It did that, definitely. But Miami's problem is too much action throughout the season, leading to almost unrealistic expectations of the finale. It's hard to keep up with all that action.

It's all a matter of opinion, but I have to say I think Natalia has come into her own this year. I like that she fought to prove herself to the team and by the end of the season, was an accepted member of it. I also like how she's reached out to Ryan since she understands just how he feels.

As for Anna's pregnancy interferring with Lindsay's character--of course it did. But Lindsay actually got a lot of development this year--her dark secret was both revealed and wrapped up, and she got the guy in the end. The problem is that both the writing of and the acting for the character are weak. She's better as background fodder, but she'd be best written out of the show altogether.

He's a producer now, and has been all season. Overall, Gary's had much more to do this season than in the previous ones, and his character is the one I will say has definitely improved.

It's definitely in my favorites list. It was just downright fun to watch!

6. Fan123

Fan123 Hit and Run

Welcome Back Danny! Hope the writers keep him in his element in Season 4. Mac has come alive in the last few episodes so CSI NY can only go up from here.

7. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Excellent review, as always, and spot on! I could make comments, but I'd really only be reiterating what has already been said in here. So, I'll just leave it with: Great episode with an unfortunate sex scene/plot device.

8. threnody

threnody Victim

The review was well written and a lot of things were spot on but...

I feel that it's a little harsh against Lindsay/Danny and Lindsay as a character overall. I don't think she is as irritating as it has been made out to be and I've been to quite a few places, on other forums, where they just eat her, and her realationship with Danny, up.

I would go so far as to say that the reviewer's personal feelings got in the way of being objective. Sorry Kristine.

The whole part about Flack not looking at Lindsay when he tells her what's happening because he's mad at her is a little silly. Danny is Flack's friend. I think it would be obvious that he has told Flack how he feels for Lindsay and what's going on in their relationship. Flack is probably not looking at the woman because he knows she will be upset and he's concerned for her as much as he is for his friend inside the building. I also don't think he was upset by Lindsay taking Danny over to see the EMS. He was probably just kind of amazed by her strength and that she was willing to take Danny over there all by herself. Furthermore, I don't think that Danny was annoyed with Lindsay at the end. I think he was more tired and just in shock about what had all happened from the nice gesture of switching shifts with her.

I have the feeling that slashiness may have gotten in the way of a good journalistic review, which is what it should be about. Especially when you have as good a website as CSI: Files. I do ship slash pairings myself (Horatio/Speed, Pilot/Crichton, Rimmer/Lister etc...) but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking and arranging my whole viewpoint of a show around them nor will I make believe that the actors feel something for each other, or between their characters, that they don't.

I think Eddie Cahill was pretty obvious in his interview, around this time last year, where he stood with Danny/Flack. He sees them as friends, and though that breaks a few hearts, I think it should ultimately be realized and accepted. In earlier reviews, when questioned about sexual tension between the characters, he believed that the question was in regards to the female/male characters only. I don't think it crossed his mind about the male/male characters. He is the actor who portrays Flack so I think he has a pretty good insight on what the character feels and how he is motivated. I'm sorry if I've gotten out of line but I really do think it needs to be said.

9. Top41

Thank you! :)

I hope so, too. It was nice to see the old Danny back. Mac has been great this year--more of the same, please!

I imagine he did. That doesn't mean that as a friend, Flack isn't concerned about seeing Danny pursue a woman who has stood him up and played on his feelings for her.

Ummm...you don't look at people you're concerned about? Not sure I see the logic there.

Maybe not upset, but he looked concerned and a little take aback.

Entirely possible, but Lindsay's immediate reaction wasn't to express concern for Danny as to go on about her guilt. I doubt he was upset with her either--but he should have been. ;)

I actually didn't mean romantically--did I say anything in the review that implied that I did? If you're extrapolating from anything I've posted on the board, I'd ask you to keep them separate, as those aren't "journalistic" postings. ;) Flack has been noticeably short this season with Lindsay, becoming irritated with her when she went on about a flower in an earlier episode, and now barely looking at her when he delivered the line about Danny. Lindsay was equally chilly, taking charge of Danny when Flack suggested he needed medical attention and telling him she'd take care of it. So I think there's possibly a little bit of mutual dislike going on there. That was merely my observation--next season could bring a buddy/buddy story between Flack and Lindsay and then, I guess we'll know that they do actually like each other. But until then, as with everything else, I'm interpreting what I see on screen.

Again, not looking at it from a romantic standpoint. In a recent chat with CSI Files, Eddie mentioned that he didn't think Flack would be as patient as Danny had been with Lindsay and I believe his words were, "Not for me." (Me meaning Flack. ;) ) I think given Danny and Flack's friendship it's possible that Flack didn't look favorably on Lindsay jerking Danny around for most of the season

I also should add that I think it wouldn't be realistic for anyone who watches the CSI shows, or CBS in general, to think a gay relationship would happen between male characters on one of the shows, so I'll go on record here and say that in no way, shape or form do I think Danny and Flack will ever become romantically involved on the show, in case there was any confusion about that.

10. threnody

threnody Victim

Okay, I'm still confused about how to quote things but here is my response:

You don't look at people you are concerned about WHEN you are nervous to see the reaction of said person. Maybe it's just me but that's what I do sometimes and I think it's a natural thing. Plus, I don't think that Lindsay is fooling around with Danny anymore and I think that Flack is probably aware of this. Flack has a soft heart as well. He knows that Lindsay, no matter what her past with Danny, does care for the man. Do you think that he would be so hard with Lindsay as to not be concerned with what she feels?

If he was taken aback I still think it would be the reaction that Lindsay was willing to carry Danny all the way there. If Flack did have misgivings about Lindsay, maybe the action proved to him that Lindsay does care for his friend. I think this possibility should have been at least stated. Her carrying his weight (can I get a chorus of "He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother? Probably not) in itself is not a selfish reaction as her feeling of guilt isn't as well. Do you think that it's selfish to feel guilty about her having inadvertantly put Danny in danger? If she didn't I'm sure she would be blamed just as quickly. I think that would be anyone's first reaction, truthfully, after a loved one was out of danger, to blame oneself.

Yes Flack was irritated with Lindsay in the past but I don't believe he was in this instance. I really honestly don't see it. I thought he seemed caring with her not placing blame in any way nor do I think that Lindsay was chilly with him. I'm sorry but I don't see that. I thought they were worried but friendly.

Your interpretations is up for debate is what I am saying. Furthermore, I knew that you never mentioned romantically. You probably knew that if you had you would be stepping on pretty slippery ground. Friendship/Romantic I think that your views were still influenced by your preference for Flack/Danny (and whatever realationship that may be) over Lindsay/Danny and it biased your opinion. And yes I stated that I thought that slashiness may have gotten in the way but I don't contribute reviews (highly respected reviews) on one of the best CSI websites out there. I think there is a difference and it's what seperates me, a lowly poster, from you.

You have quoted what I have said about Eddie being asked the Danny/Flack, sexual tension question and said that it wasn't in a romantic way but I don't possibly see how that can be since "they are slash stories" I believe was stated once. I think that Danny's realationship with Lindsay has certainly changed and in regards to that I believe that Flack's feelings for Lindsay would change as well. Plus I reinstate that Flack is a nice guy. Having watched his treatment of Lindsay in last night's episode I thought he was very sweet with her and I think you missed that. I haven't read the interview with Cahill but I will do so promptly.

I throw one more complaint with your review up on the stage: I don't think that Flack as easily threw off his killing of the man as you suggested. I think he knew he was right but in the end it still bothered him tremendously. I also don't think he sounded that proud during the interview. I think that in Cahill's acting there was a certain tired weariness and sadness even. I don't think he was happy completely with how it turned out even though he knew he had done the right thing.

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Part of what makes it so good. *pets the slash* Seeing the subtext, talking about it, speculating about it--none of that means that we expect to actually see it on the show. ;)

However, that being said, the entire world isn't heterosexual, CBS. :p

12. SamStokes

SamStokes Police Officer

God you guys seriously have it in for Anna belknap and Lindsay don't you.

I friggin hate all this GSR stuff in CSI, I don't keep babbling on about it.
    And seriously, I don't think she's usless, just because she was away whilst having a baby, she's played a good role this season.

Whilst Carmine was just awesome, that was one of his best perfomances ever.
    And AJ was well great, nice to see him get more screen time.

Gary was the Hero here, I agree and I'm thankful he was, but Peyton was annoying to me, and I hope we don't hear anything about Mac and her going away together.

Overall, I think this was the second best Season Finale out of all the CSI's from every season, first being Grave Danger.

13. Top41

I think the natural response when you're worried about how someone might feel is to look at them, if you're concerned. Unless you feel guilty about something, in which case you might sneak glances, but what did Flack have to feel guilty about? I thought he came across as focused, and felt like he didn't want to deal with her at that moment.

I think it's possible that that might register with him at some point, but to me he just looked startled that Lindsay just swept in and said, "I'll take him" after Flack had suggested getting Danny medical attention.

I think it's selfish of her to fret over her own guilt before even asking how Danny is and what needs tending to, yes. Yes, it's admirable that she felt bad, but at that moment her focus should have been on getting Danny medical attention, not setting up a situation where he'd have to tell her, "No, of course it's not your fault." That's about her, not him, and that's selfish.

And you're entirely welcome to your opinion. Just because it isn't in line with mine doesn't make it invalid.

Isn't every interpretation?

:lol: Thanks for interpreting my motives for me. I'd say that statement is up for debate. I didn't mention romantically because I don't think the writers intended it to come across that way.

I also prefer Mac/Peyton, Stella/Hawkes, Danny/Angell, Danny/Maka, Danny/Stella, Flack and a desk to Danny and Lindsay. Do those also make me biased :lol: I've made my dislike of Danny and Lindsay paired up pretty clear, but it's not because I'd rather see Danny with someone else so much as it's that I think Danny and Lindsay don't have great chemistry and that the romance has done a disservice to both characters, particularly Danny, who has a well-established character before Lindsay came on the scene and has since been changed to fit the romance.

So it's okay for you to have an opinion and not me? Not sure what you're getting at here.

A little confused about what you're saying here, but I guess my response to what I think you're saying would be that I didn't see any evidence that showed Flack's feelings had changed towards Lindsay last night. I saw chilliness on both ends in "Snow Day."

He did sound world-weary, I'll grant you that. But I think it's hard to argue that he wasn't proud when he said the bust would "cripple organized crime in New York City." Even if he wasn't proud of himself specifically, I have no doubt he was proud of his team and the NYPD.

As for the man he killed, I do think he was able to put it aside for the time being. I don't think he "threw it off" so much as was able to look at it rationally and set it aside. I think it will weigh on him a bit, as evinced from his conversation with Sheldon, but he'll get past it. It's part of the job.

The minute Anna starts turning in decent performances and Lindsay becomes a worthwhile, stable character with a personality that doesn't shift every week, I'll start praising her too. ;)

To each their own.

Both were excellent in this episode--they got a great storyline and ran with it.

I rather like Peyton, and think she compliments Mac well, but I know there's some split in the fandom about Peyton, just as there is about Lindsay.

I'd definitely put "Snow Day" on par with "Grave Danger."

14. Snickersfan01

Snickersfan01 Witness

I have to say that I am a D/L shipper and I thought that the eppie rocked. I thought that the cast as a whole did an awsome job. And I know for a fact that Gary did produce this eppie. ( My mom knows him-he is good friends with our family ) And that is all I'm saying right now. Cause I'm walking on sunshine. And all my CSI:NY ships are sailing high. ( Long live D/L and M/P )

15. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I got the impression that they thought the flame should have been reacting differently if there was gas in the air and that's what alerted them that something was wrong. I don't think there was an opportunity for one of the gang to sneak in and set the burner going before all the alarms - and of course, shouldn't be standard procedure to switch off burners before an evacuation.

(raises hand) well I love to do the impossible <g>
    but as I've said all along, I dislike Peyton intensely. I hate the way she was just shoved into the show and everybody has 'known her for ages'. It's too much like they way Dawn was introduced in S5 BTVS, only at least then we knew there was a supernatural explanation as opposed to a retcon.

Well you do know it had to have been the pool game with Flack that gave Danny the idea <vbeg>
    (just a pity Flack didn't think of arranging to play pool at Danny's place rather than in a bar!)