Grade 'Snow Day'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 16, 2007.

1. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

Potential spoilers abound in this review:

"Snow Day" is the closest to perfect that CSI NY has ever come. This is perhaps the first CSI NY episode that I really, REALLY scrambled home to watch after a grueling exam in Intro to Psychology. I don't know what was going on with TPTB's minds but what it was, they finally got everything right enough to make a dynamite finale.

Mac and Stella's ordeal with the druglords raiding the lab attempting to steal the drugs previously seized by the NYPD made for a very intense episode. Stella Bonasera seemed to have been declawed after the shitstain that was "All Access" and that whole HIV nonsense but here, those claws seemed to have grown back tonight. She went WAY beyond Rambo!Stella, almost the point of Gestapo!Stella. The way they managed to process evidence even with the bad guys lurking all around them was one of the best scenes in the entire series.

Oh, and is it just some genetic screw-up within me or did my SMacked heart leap when Mac had Stella's mouth covered and her eyes widening in shock for a split second? Pure SMacked even if for less than one second.

Even the Danny/Lindsay ship at long last had some long-overdue development and almost within a matter of an hour, my opinion of Lindsay Monroe literally changed almost overnight. I confess that I kind of like the DL ship despite it's childish nature but they seem somewhat made for each other since both have a somewhat adolescent demeanor compared to their peers. No longer did she function as some love interest but did something meaningful. I really hope they take Lindsay in an even better direction from here and not have her sink back into the one-dimensional quicksand fodder she was earlier this season as well as last season.

I know we'll have to endure until September for new episodes but I'm really looking forward to Season 4 when it starts. What a wonderful, dynamite way to end season 3. Like I said earlier, TPTB have at long last kept the ball rolling and not dropped it. Nice work TPTB!

This episode gets an A+ from me. :D

2. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

The last time a season finale got me this hyped up and hopped up was DIAGNOSIS MURDER'S season 5 finale when they blew up the hospital. Had to wait all summer to see who survived the hospital exploding. Drove me nuts. After that explosion when they took what seemed like forever to reveal Mac was all right drove me just as nuts. But that's the kind of being drove nuts I don't mind. It's also the kind of being drove nuts I was expecting from CSI: Miami Monday night...what a let down. This made up for that let down 10x over. :cool:
    Maybe when CSI: NY comes back for season 4, they'll be reconstructing the section of the lab Mac's MacGyver-like bomb blew up. Wish our CBS station would do like they would if they'd pre-empted the whole thing with severe weather coverage and show it again later tonight or tomorrow night after the replay of the 10 pm news goes off at 1:40 am.
    I'm mad at myself for not recording it. :mad:

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Two words: Wet. Mac. *drooool* *giggle* And I also loved the Smacked scenes. Not happy with the whole Peyton thing but I'll save it for the ship thread.

Although I've mixed feelings on how big the ship scenes should be, (sometimes I like how GSR began more...subtle and in the background rather than out front) I myself enjoyed the D/L.

Felt bad for Danny and Adam...could just see Faylinn "Noooo...Adammm! Leave him alone!" ROFL :)

Can't wait to see how Danny is next season. Here's hoping they remember continuity.

I give an A.

4. stormymac

stormymac Hit and Run

I loved at the beginning how both Hawkes and Mac seemed concerned about Don's emotional state. Hawkes saw how bothered he was about killing the guy and told him he did what he had to in order to save his own life. Mac asked if anybody was hurt and Don told him about one of the other officers's being shot then Mac asked how he was. Since it was obvious that Don was not wounded, Mac had to have been worried about how he was handling the situation emotionally. Honestly, I don't think Hawkes or Mac seemed too convinced that he was alright.

Also, was it just wishful thinking on my part, or did Danny take one last look back at Don as he was leaving and Lindsay was going on about her guilt and making it all about herself?

5. Isaboe

Isaboe Victim

Wow. Just WOW!! :eek: Now this is what a finale should be like. Was nice seeing CG shirtless but didn't need to see AB lying next to him. Boo.

I was wondering, when the bad guys were shooting that gun through the door, weren't the bullets lodging into the cocaine? They had to go somewhere.

I hope the CSI-LV finale is good like this.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I wondered about that as well. Will we see things being repaired? Will they be magically repaired over the hiatus? Or will we get a brand spanking new set?...

:D You know me so well. :D

Wow, it's like you were in the chat I was in tonight--several people commented on Danny looking back at Don. And your comment about Lindsay sounds about right.

7. EllaJ

EllaJ CSI Level Two

What happened to this show?! Yikes haha

8. IheartTogo

IheartTogo Hit and Run

i gave this a A+ this was better than the Miami finale. It had me at the edge of my bed i almost fell off. i thought mac was going to get kiiled but thank God he did, he is sooooooooooooo hot (sigh). can't wait till next season and when reruns start (yay!!) i like the lab scene with mac,stella, and shelodon was chasing the mob dudes. flack and danny can't get any hotter and sexer

9. KimAZ

KimAZ Prime Suspect

Holy crap that was freakin AWESOME! (and way better than Spiderman 3 might I add.) Loved Mac stalking the guys in the lab and setting up the booby trap...very evil I like it. And Hawkes being badass with the saw and locking the dude up...sweet.

And my absolute favorite scenes (besides all the ones with Mac) were when Danny was taunting the guys about Hells Kitchen and the one Irish dude was calling him a guinea cop. Thought it was a great exchange.

EDIT: Forgot to add...was very happy to see the murdered FBI agent solved...that was bugging me all season about when it would be brought up again.

10. catwarfan

catwarfan Police Officer

OMFG That was absolutely brilliant. That is exactly what a season finale should be. I was at the edge of my seat the whole bloody time from the start onward. My heart is still beating fast. Darn commercials.....This would be incredible to watch without commercials. The hour just flew. It was so good. I had to turn on the computer tonight and just applaud this episode. Absolute brilliance. This is how a season finale should be written. Man, I like this dark side of Mac and Hawkes. I love Mac stating that the drugs were not going to leave his lab. I like this side of Mac. I loved the military side coming out of him with setting up the booby trap. I do love my military men. There should be a warning seeing Mac in a tight black t-shirt, wet carrying a gun *** fans self *** That is just way to bloody hot for TV. I was wondering if they could top last season with Charge The Post which I loved but they did. A+.

I will agree though the ending with Peyton rushing up to Mac was blech but I'll give them that one even though I don't like it. It should have been the whole team. What was up with Lindsey? Did she really have a point in this episode other than being with Danny :confused: Why did nobody figure out sooner what was happening in the lab? I'll give NY those things because it was such a good episode.

My goodness Miami was such a joke compared to this for the season finale.

11. Shelbers

Shelbers Police Officer

OMG....if i had the ability to add more than one "+" i would have!!! that was by far the best ep of NY to date and much better than the Miami finale! Id almost go as far to say that that was my fav ep of all the CSI's.

I mean I was able to watch it twice and was on the edge of my seat both times! love the concern everyone had for don at the beginning, and that sid and peyton had for, well, everyone! and dont even get me started on how happy i am about danny and lindsay finally figured things out, and it was done very nicely by TPTB :) figures that there was some form of competition (the pool game) going on before hand, lol :) speaking of danny....him and flack were looking hot! :lol: oh and flack, the tie he wore in this ep....actually matched the shirt....thats 4 in a row!! :lol:

ok now i loved the whole lab scene. i mean, the pipe bomb, hawkes locking the mob guy in a cooler, loved it all!

and danny and adam during the hostage situation. well AJ was awesome, and I loved how danny took control. i mean i cant blame adam for giving up the info, after all the hell hes been through in his life (we know adams dad was abusive) theres only so much torture someone can take before they snap.

and the final scene, good to see that mac is finally found happiness again :D

12. Dantana

Dantana Victim

Snow Day is the best episode to date for CSI: New York. It had it all: action, romance, and suspense. I had to turn off CSI: Miami, I couldn't stand to watch it. Tonight, I couldn't stop watching Snow Day. Gary, Eddie and Carmine carried off their roles to perfection.

Adam and Danny's situation brought forward some interesting elements to the story. Danny seemed like a jr. Mac taking over the plan to save everyone there. Hearing Adam's rendition of events made me think of his actions resulted from his father, the bully.

With the Danny and Lindsay angle, I thought it was done in a very creative way. My favorite part was Danny waking Lindsay up by playing with her nose. Actually it was quite funny.

As for the ending, I knew what was coming (Mac going to London) and it still didn't bother me. The ending could of been better but I won't complain.

I am glad we finally got an answer to the murdered CIA agent, I thought that was dropped and we would never know.

By the way, am I alone in thinking that Mac knew something was up when Danny told him the story of taking Lindsay's shift? Danny didn't come off as a very good liar in that scene.

13. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Coroner

I like it when the continuity fairy makes an appearance. Very nice! :)

:lol: Love it, love it!

I agree, the ending had a sense of lameness to it. I mean, it wasn't totally terrible, but...they totally could have kept it (their speach) in silence because I completely understood from that moment alone that he was going to London! and it would have been less cheese for those who be lactose intollerant.

Here here!
    Loved your whole post, Midnight!

Okay, I'm not a Danny/Lindsay shipper and really don't care to see them hook up, but I gotta say when he poked her in the nose to wake her up, that was too cute :D
    Another moment where they could have kept the silence- why did we need the voice over reading the note?!

I thought it was a great finale though!
    Cool tricks with the bomb and such and yay for Hawkes locking the dude in the tray-thingie! (can I just add- love the glasses, Hill! :D) Poor Adam and Danny! I was thinking at the beginning of the episode "Man, it's nice they're getting Adam out of the lab", but I bet after this he won't want those assignments! and re: Danny- please, not the face!! :lol: Great acting job though- totally felt the pain when he tried to bandage up his hand!!

...I think that's all from me for now...
    A

14. Moska

Moska Dead on Arrival

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

On the surface this was a slick and fast hour of television, but under that? I'm infuriated at the type of character they have now turned Mac Taylor into.

Think about it. The Lab...*his* lab... his pride and joy has been pretty much destroyed beyond recognition. What does he do? Tiptoes off into the tulips with "I'm kinda fun in the morgue, but typically annoying otherwise Ms. Peyton" for a trip to London? EXCUSE ME?

Would the Mac Taylor that we've seen up to this point allow *anyone* else to lead the rebuilding? Not the Mac Taylor I've seen before this.

I suspected there would lame point within story once we had Ms. Peyton trying to cajole a 'Yes' from Mac. I didn't realize how far they would take it to the point of her nearly getting him killed. :):chuckle:: Can't wait until he checks that last call notice...if that doesn't wake him up...) But the ending takes the cake in lameness. A more fitting end would have been the team walking back into the lab and claiming their area back once again.

As much of supporter I am of a future relationship between Mac and Stella, up to this point I have enjoyed Claire Forlani's addition to the cast...most times. Her presence as another ME is quite well done and as a comic foil for Sid she's perfect. But, enough is enough with the fawning over Mac. I can't quite put a finger on what bugs me about her, other than she is darn *girly* and whiny. The whole desperate woman act at the end of running to Mac and jumping in his arms... ::scratches head:: It was just lame.

At this point, I'm simply on my knees thanking the writing Gods that they didn't leave Peyton in the building with Mac instead of Stella. ::rolls eyes:: Then I would have turned the channel...no matter how much it makes me chuckle to watch Sheldon so gleefully chase down a bullet <g>

So, Mac and Peyton go to London. Where's his mind going to be? Yep, you got it...back in NYC wondering how his second-in-command is doing while piecing HIS lab back together for HIM. If we're lucky, this will wake him up, and Claire will take a gig in some British film and not be available any longer :) Wishful thinking? <g>

What I did enjoy? First off...sadistic MacGuyver Mac. That entire scene was brilliant and I certainly wouldn't want him pissed at ME :) Also, the initial setup scenes and newer background shots city shots. Their production values remain topnotch and the crew should be heartily commended.

Have a good evening, folks...back to lurkmode.

moska

15. seeker

seeker Hit and Run

A+

John McClane meets McGyver meets Kevin McAllister---wow that's alot of Macs right there...

But I must admit--everyone had screen time in this and it really was exciting...

Now if they could do this in every eppy next season--I'll be a happy viewer.