Horatio & Yelina #6: A Sense of Belonging - So Say We All!

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by Lucy, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lunalove

Lunalove Police Officer

Re: Horatio & Yelina #6 - A Sense of Belonging - So Say We A

I think she looks a bit sad and regretful. She wanted H to make a move, he didn't and when he didn't tell her about "his" kid she gave up and moved on. Stetler was there *barf*. She wished things could have been different. Well, don't we all? ;)

2. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

Well I don't think she moved on. She wanted maybe but she couldn't. Near the end of the episode you could already see she regretted dating Stetler..

3. Lunalove

Lunalove Police Officer

^ I should have said (written? ;)) tried to move on. I agree that she haven't, 'cause of course she'll never 'get over him'! She'd better not, tptb!
    Edit: Oh, and who wouldn't regret dating Stetler... Ewwww! :lol:

4. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Luce as to your pic, I agree she knows him all too well, and she can always tell what he's thinking. Like I always think it's H/Y's 'wordless communication'.

Tati, as to your pic, I think you interpreted it the same way I would. She wasn't upset H had a kid with someone else, she's upset he "forgot" to mention the fact to her. And of course she got tired of waiting for H to ask her out. Perhaps as we all said she wanted to date Stetler to hopefully push H to make a move, but sadly he did't, the silly man!

Sorry if I'm repeating your thoughts, I guess all H/Y fans think alike :lol:

5. Lunalove

Lunalove Police Officer

^ Well you know what they say: great minds think alike! :lol:

And I agree with you on Y knowing him. She reads him so well, but then again they must go back awhile so naturally she would be good at that!

And Luce before I forget (it's 3 am here, so my brain is a little foggy) thank you for the wonderful pics. They are very much appreciated in these oh so H/Y-less days. :D

6. SwanSwan_H

SwanSwan_H Police Officer

So sorry I haven't been back sooner. I see that the question has been answered now. I think the list was reposted here in the H/Y thread possibly by Pusher, but originally Luce posted it in the H thread over in Miami. :)

I'm not sure who said this, but someone mentioned that H is a TV character and it makes sense for his life to be full of drama (I'm paraphrasing). To that I would respond that there is drama and then there's drama! Some of his backstory has been well conceived, but they have made some of it (namely the NY background) far too angsty to be believable. When a character goes through this much angst, some fans fail to be moved and start adopting a "whatever!" :rolleyes: approach. It just becomes too much - the concept, the way it was written and it's execution.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify that a bit. ;)

Thanks for the really lovely pics as always. It's always a pleasure to see them. :D

7. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

Hee. Yes, melodrama (spot on definition: a dramatic form that does not observe the laws of cause and effect and that exaggerates emotion and emphasizes plot or action at the expense of characterization) comes to mind. :)

Thanks for the lovely pics. I don' think it's possible for SM to be less than spectacular even if she tried. She has a lovely relationship with the camera. :)

8. HC_4_my_birthday

HC_4_my_birthday Lab Technician

feels like i've abandoned ship here last post was 24th of April :(

i did get a chance to see the H/Y scenes of (Burned) and thought they were brilliant,i liked the scene where H had his gun in hand and told the suspect to show himself then Y walks to the side of the car. The look on his face was total shock,now i csan't wait to see the whole epi

got family prombles at the moment try and post when i can

9. lieueitak

lieueitak Hit and Run

I was the one who said that. :) I don't see the NY background as being too angsty at all. Look, anytime you have a TV cop (or someone in law enforcement) whose mother/father has been murdered, you have an overused archetype.

Someone else said that they would have preferred that part of the story to remain as it had since season one: that Horatio and Ray's mother was murdered by a random drug dealer. To me, that makes the story even MORE cliché. Most of the time, when TV deals with a parental death (which of course spurs the child to become a cop/CSI/ME/etc), the murderer is some random killer who's never caught. The same random killer reappears usually in season 3 or 4 during sweeps no less, taunting and tormenting the protagonist. ;)
    Like I said, it's old hat.

And not only that, but it doesn't even remotely accurately reflect the reality in this country. Look at any study: MOST women are murdered by someone they know. Several studies suggest that number is as high as 90%. Horatio's not saying his mother was abducted by aliens (yet - there's always season 6); what he experienced isn't unlikely at all when it comes to homicides. Sure, it's angsty and sad, but I can accept it because these things happen.

I'd also say that the implied child abuse is, again, something sad, but not all unlikely given the circumstances. Too many children are abused physically. Generally speaking, boys are more likely to be on the receiving end because they're "supposed to be a man" and are generally handled more roughly. But more than any of that, if H's father killed his mother, then... like, what are the chances his father wasn't going to hit him?

The only other NY bit we got was the Resden thing. And, again, I don't see the whole stabbing incident being all that unbelievable. At some point, a cop will get hurt, especially when he/she is thinking emotionally.

I'm not saying that the issues brought up in season 4 are perfect. The execution was lacking, and I think for all that information, it should have either been spread out over multiple seasons OR have been the main arc for Horatio that year. For me, it had the potential to be angsty, but it WASN'T even remotely. And how can it be when it's little more than a blip onscreen?

Any of those issues can take a lifetime for a person to get over and to deal with. To me, it's not the ideas themselves, but rather the way they are carelessly included, never to be fully fleshed out. That drives me nuts. Well, that and anything connected to Marisol. ;)

That's a lovely screencap of SM, Lucy. I know the dialogue gets a LOT of flack around here (usually - okay, almost always deserved), but I loved the point in "Burned" where the stalker/perv mentions how Y looks at H. SM and DC have such great chemistry, and there always seems to be something in their gazes. No, I'm not suggesting anything real life going on. Just that the actors are fantastic at acting with body language and eye contact. Again, unlike the scenes with Alana de la Garza, there's a lot more going on than just reading the lines.

10. SwanSwan_H

SwanSwan_H Police Officer

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to. Well said. :) It's the melodrama I can do without. Excessive melodrama becomes unrealistic and indeed, is almost always at the expense of characterization.

HC_4_my_birthday, I hope things work out okay on the family front. :)

11. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

I think that's a very fair and well observed point. :) From my experience (both online and in the real world, lol), many fans did grow tired of this 'melodrama' and I think tptb eventually realized this. Interestingly, H has been relatively angst free this season (so far), which made a refreshing change for those who still watch the show.

You're all very welcome re the pictures. :D

Sofia certainly does have a lovely relationship with the camera....

[​IMG]

HC_4_my_birthday sorry to hear about the family problems. *hugs*

12. Lunalove

Lunalove Police Officer

Yeah, but then again what one hears about the final... :rolleyes:

And on that note: I've got an avvie!! Finally! With thanks to Kit :D

13. HC_4_my_birthday

HC_4_my_birthday Lab Technician

great pics Lucy really cheered me up. The best ones i like of H/Y are when you can see both there faces because because the feelings they have for ond and other hope that makes scenes

14. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

Ooh it's the first time today that I've finally had the time to come online. (My parents are 35 years married so we had a party! Oh and I'm gonna be an AUNT! I'm still in shock hehe. I said maybe 2 months ago in the H/Y fanfic thread that i'm never gonna become an aunt! Guess what I am! :lol:)

No worries ^^

Oh and I agree, the dialogue can be as boring as it wants to be, the most dialogue is spread to there eyes. No offence to the E/C shippers but they only have some chemistry when they're in really romantic situaties. While H/Y always have chemistry, no matter what they're talking about..

15. Lunalove

Lunalove Police Officer

^ See! I told you all they needed was time! :lol: Congrats! Do you know when it'll be?

And H/Y don't just have chemistry, they set the bar! It's a chemistry-lesson! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.