Jorja Fox Involved In New Salary Dispute

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, May 4, 2007.

1. FireIvyGoddess

FireIvyGoddess Victim

I remember reading that Jorja couldn't continue on The West Wing because CSI had been picked up. Both were in 2000. Also, she was on ER for at least thirty three episodes. When I first started watching CSI, I remembered her from when I watched ER. But that is all besides the point. I think one of the real issues people are having is that $100,000 an episode seems like a huge amount of money. But what most don't factor in is that, #1- Once actors are stereotyped into a television or movie character, work is even harder to come by. #2- $100,000 is the amount before taxes are taken out and before an actor's agent, rep, attorney, SAG dues, transportation fees and cost of living expenses are paid. It's not cheap to live in LA or NY. Plus, Jorja seems to give a lot to charities. And #3- If you were working at a job for seven years and all your co-workers who perform the same duties were getting paid more than you, would you not ask for more money? I don't care how much you're making, you'd still fell like you were being slighted. We can all sit here and defend or attack Jorja all we want but we aren't going to know if anything is actually true until CBS or Jorja's rep or Jorja herself comes forwards and comfirms or denies anything. Even once we know the fate of Sara Sidle, we're not going to know what actually happened to get her there.

2. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

When I talk about killing off heat, I'm talking as in regards to her wanting more money therefore they are killing her off, I didn't mean she wasn't important to show ala. GSR.

3. allmaple

allmaple Judge

oh yes, because $2.4 million a year for 7 years, plus royalties and promotions, after taxes and deductions is barely enough to live off. please. but yes, i do agree that cbs brings in a ton of money because of this franchise and the actors should be paid accordingly.

however, i would take that article with a massive rock of salt. jorja and george know from frist hand cbs doesnt play hardball when it comes to contract negotiations. neither of them would make that mistake again. her first contract is up and i do agree that after 7 years in the same job doing so well a person deserves a raise.

there could be some truth to the story, and im not saying its true, but maybe jorja wants more money than cbs is willing to give. i know we all love her and want to think she wouldnt act like that, but it is possible. i dont want to see her go but i think the show would survive. yes theyve put in a lot of effort into the grissom/sara thing, but its not what the show is about. other shows have dropped storylines that they invested even more time into and were fine. life goes on, csi will go on, and with or without jorja i wish her the best.

4. 19ams87

19ams87 CSI Level Two

See I don't think it would be. I'd still watch it, at the end of the day I got into CSI because of the cases. If Jorja wants to do other things, all the best too her and I don't blame her. Being typecast is one of the worst things to happen to an actor. If she wants to leave, let her leave! And not everyone loves GSR so I dunno, not being funny but wouldn't it just be mostly GSR fans that would be upset if she left? She's a extremly good actress, she deserves a shot at something else.

Back to the topic, if all this shit is true and Jorja is kicking off because WP & MH get more than she does, I really don't think she has a case. I mean cmon, WP & MH have been acting a lot longer than JF has, they deserve to be on more to be brutally honest, they *are* the two leads right? Let me put it this way, pretend you had your dream job, and say you'd been doing it for 20 years, and someone a lot younger than you gets the same job and your wage, would you be happy? I wouldn't! I dunno, it's all a bit wierd. I really hope its not true.

5. ElinWaffle

ElinWaffle Witness

I think that was David Caruso. :D Didn't he demand more money to contine working on NYPD? I thought I read something about it along time ago. That just came out greedy and very diva to me.

I know I didn't get those salaries right. Argh! I suck at that kind of stuff. But all I am saying is that if TPTB are killing her off, they will have to have a good reason for it. And I mean it, a good reason. Like, she doesn't want to do the show anymore or she is retiring or anything. But killing her of for money? Phwa.

And that is all to say. Phwa.

I'm off to watch CSI:NY now. Vanessa Ferlito (Aiden, I don't know if I got the actress name correct), why was her charachter killed off? Did she ask for more money?

6. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I don't care what anybody says, $100,000 or whatever per episode is a heck of a lot of money. It doesn't even matter if she doesn't get paid the same as everyone else. If it's true then it's just pure greed. On my current wages it would take me 9 years to earn $100,000.

It really disgusts me when stars grumble about the amount of money they get paid. It must be so terrible to get paid as much as they do, when most people never earn that kind of money in a life time.

Ok, so maybe she doesn't get paid as much as the other cast, or as much as their competitors, but you've got to put it in perspective. $100,000 for, what, 1 week?'s worth of work is amazing money.

7. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

lol. I like it when some people insist that GSR isn't taking over the show in other threads and yet stated in this thread that if TPTB drop GSR then it would be the death of this show. [/sarcasm] I'm not saying GSR is taking over the show, just stating an observation. :D And I agree with ams. True, some people might stop watching the show if they end GSR, however, I really don't think people who watch this show solely for the relationship are as many as some might think. Also, you can't deny that part of the viewers the show has lost this season probably stopped watching it because of GSR. Some of them might tune in again if TPTB end it. I guess my point is that the influence dropping GSR might cause would be very limited.

It's also interesting that some people said they didn't believe a single word these articles say, but they dissed CBS for not giving Jorja a raise. When you say that, you actually take part of the article seriously, don't you? And again, if what this article says were true, then TPTB aren't killing Sara off for the money Jorja has asked. They're killing her off because Jorja didn't re-sign for season 8, which is because CBS wouldn't give her a raise. GAH.

I certainly hope this crap isn't true. No matter she stays or not, I wish Jorja the best.

8. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I'm not really sure whether I believe it or not, I tend to be quite suspicious when I read articles like this. I just get so annoyed when people get paid ridiculous amounts of money and then complain about it. It's just something I get annoyed about, whoever it's said about, probably cos I get paid a ridiculously small amount of money. And I live in the real world

I agree Erica, I don't think GSR's influence is that great. People watched the show for 6 years without it, and I wouldn't be devastated if GSR were dropped.

9. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

Nope. I'm pretty sure Vanessa asked to be written out so she could pursue other avenues, i.e. films.

10. 19ams87

19ams87 CSI Level Two

Erica I lova ya! Couldn't have said it better myself. Agree with every word.

Same here Faith666, it annoys the hell outta me. I'd love to see some 'celebs' be homeless for a week, see how they cope then. And i'm not just saying all of this because Sara isn't one of my fave charactors, I'd say it if it was Billy and he's my fav guy in the whole world! Honestly, i'd be really dissapointed if this was true even though I ain't much of a Jorja fan.

If JF did leave, I really do doubt it'd be the death of the show. If people just watch it for GSR, I dunno I just kinda find that pointless. No offence to anyone I just think theres more interesting things on the show than the ships and thats coming from a hardcore shipper!

11. rela

rela Victim

In a recent article, Jorja Fox said that she was homeless for a little while when she was living in Italy. Either way, Jorja comes off as being the least selfish of the show's actors, so I don't put much credence in this "diva" image recent rumors have created.

12. fifty8th

fifty8th Victim

I don't think Jorja has ever "complained" about her pay, she has asked for a raise, heck so have I, and now that her contract is over it is her right to ask for more just as it is CBS's and CSI's right to not give her what she wants. Negotiations go back and forth, that is why it is called a negotiation, you ask for the moon and they settle somewhere in between.

I like how people complain that actors have no right to ask for more because they make so much more than them, you should have been an actor then. It would take me 2 and a half years to make what she supposedly makes for one episode if only art directors made what actor's make, it the pay scale, do people who work at the counter at McDonald's begrudge me asking for a raise because I can support myself semi comfortably and they struggle? I say good for her she worked hard to get where she is an she earned in.

13. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I think it's probably less about the financial side of things and more about the comparision with other actors both on and off the show.
    An actor's salary is a reflection of what they're 'worth'. If you're being paid 500K for an episode, then people in the business will see you as being worth more than somebody earning 'only' 200K for an episode. Which means that if they want you for their project, they'll value you accordingly.

Salaries are a way of keeping score. And to be earning 'only' 100 or 200K per episode after 7 years, when other actors on other shows are earning more after less time, that's not going to be very pleasing for an actor.

14. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

Yeah, that's gonna happen. It's not like I can help that my chosen profession pays peanuts. And I'd say that about anybody who earns a hell of a lot of money and then complains about how bad they have it.

15. fifty8th

fifty8th Victim

But she has not complained. Her contract is up and she is asking for more, is that a complaint or a negotiation...or are all negotiations complaints?

Has she complained how bad she has it, not that I have heard. I have yet to read one comment quoted from her about money, everything we hear is "she is demanding too much" and it is attributed to the other side of the negotiation table, from a less that reputable publication.

Personally I make less money than other people at my in my profession because I work at a smaller agency, I have the right to ask for a raise and my agency has the right to say no. Jorja makes less than others in her position at her level and she has the right to ask for more especially at new contract time, in fact if she did not try to get a raise when signing a new contract most people would consider that weird.

Because you chose a career that pays peanuts do you have the right to then complain about it, you had to have known going in you would make peanuts.