Jorja Fox Involved In New Salary Dispute

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, May 4, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

Three years after CBS fired and then re-hired <font color=yellow>Jorja Fox</font> (Sara Sidle) from CSI: Crime Scene Investigation over a salary dispute, the actress's future on the show again seems to be up in the air.

According to an article by <font color=yellow>Michael Starr</font> at the New York Post, CBS execs were so unhappy with Fox's demands for extra money, they decided to kill of her character at the end of the current season. Originally, Sara Sidle was supposed to have been crushed by a car at the end of "Living Doll," the May 17 season finale -- a plan that was thwarted when Fox simply refused to show up on the set to film her death scene.

The New York Post claimed that with Fox not available to film her scenes, producers had to scramble to come up with a new ending to the season finale, and had to fly <font color=yellow>Marg Helgenberger</font> (Catherine Willows) in to Las Vegas to film it. However, the article also quoted a spokeswoman for Fox who said that the actress did eventually appear on the set to shoot scenes for the finale, which she called "open ended." She also confirmed Fox's contract has run out, but that she is still negotiating with the network over her future on the show.

Jorja Fox was previously involved in a similar dispute with CBS three years ago, when she and co-star <font color=yellow>George Eads</font> (Nick Stokes) refused to show up to film scenes for the fifth-season premiere. The two stars had both signed a seven-year contract at the start of CSI's run, but were then hoping to pressure the network into raising their salaries. Fox and Eads eventually went back to work, reportedly under the terms of their old contract -- but now, with her original contract running out, it seems Fox's future on the show is again unclear.

For the original report from the New York Post, please follow this link. Thanks go out to <font color=yellow>Al Forno</font> for this!<center></center>

2. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

If the story of JF not showing up for work is true, she's being a bit childish with the whole situation. I understand she wants a salary increase but, IMO, she's not handling it in the best way. There is a huge cast and crew who depend on her to be there for the finale, and she apparently doesn't show .. Seems pretty juvenile to me.

3. Jasmine

Jasmine Lab Technician

I dont believe it until she'll herself confirms it.

4. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

I don't think most of what was said in the article is true. I won't believe it until it's confirmed by either CBS or Jorja. We all know what kind of a paper the NY Post is, as well as the Star. :rolleyes: It is possible that a very small part of it is true, but they exaggerated it big time and made up the rest. Although I don't like the GSR storyline and I desperately want it to end, I do appreciate Jorja as an actor and I really don't think she'd be that unprofessional as not showing up to film her scenes as a protest. I also don't believe it's a stunt by CBS because I doubt big networks like CBS would break such news to tabloids instead of the credible papers such as the Hollywood Reporter. Also, if they want a stunt for the finale, they'd promote what Sara's going to face in the finale instead of making both themselves and Jorja look bad.

I don't think it's true, and I hope it really isn't because if it was, I'd probably lose my respect for Jorja. I know she probably has every right to ask for a raise, but not showing up for work is over the top to me.

5. fifty8th

fifty8th Victim

I think even if it is true, and that is a big IF, you have to give her a little props for sticking up for her character. 7 years of playing a character and then they kill her off, there are other ways to write off a character and it seems petty to kill of a character because you are mad at an actor for leaving (like they did for the guy on Miami who asked them not to kill off his character) maybe the only way to be heard is to have a protest.

This most likely won't be cleared up (for the fans) until the first episode of next season and I would hate for Jorja's name to be dragged through the mud until then, especially since they still keep reporting that she and George held out in 2004, when Jorja was fired before shooting...how can you be expected to show up for the first day of shooting when they already fired you?

These articles can't be taken at face value, especially since they all spawned from a story in the Tabloid The Star. There is probably little nuggets of truth in there, but it is unlikely we will never learn the truth.

6. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

I've heard this info was denied few days ago, i'm gonna try to find the link for that.

7. Fabian

Fabian Pathologist

Yeah, this all doesn't seem credible to me. Jorja is always very enthousiastic about the show and never seemt to care that much about money (she still says her being fired 3 years ago had nothing to do with it). I always feel like she has so much passion for Sara, it's a shame these rumours end up all over the net.

8. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

I kinda believe it, if you google her name and go to the news section, there are articles all over about her possibly being killed off. I hope it is just CBS pulling some crazy stuff on us, because that would be an ultimate plot twist because as of now we are all expecting a cliffhanger.

I'm almost positive this has nothing to do with money, but the fact that the writers wanted to kill her off the show, and she doesn't want that. Which is why she didn't show up.

9. fifty8th

fifty8th Victim

All of these articles site the NY Post as their source, who sites the Star as it's source, neither of which are really credible sources, but the point is it is the same story being repeated over and over, it happens all the time. In fact the same thing happened when Ausiello came to the conclusion due to the "evidence" he came up with that they were going to kill her off. Who knows maybe that is where the Star got it's starting point.

Anyway both CBS and Jorja's people say they are in contract talks so most like her fate is not been decided yet.

10. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Does Jorja get paid considerably less then the other main actors on the show? I wonder why she is alledgedly unhappy with her salary?

I don't know what they get paid but I'm sure they are not left short changed :rolleyes: I can't see any of the main cast getting anything less then $100,000 per episode, if your struggling to feed yourself with that then lord help you :lol: I guess with success comes greed. I know its the way of the world, especially in Hollywood but when salary dispute news articles show up in the press the actors in question send me nothing but negative vibes :(

11. fifty8th

fifty8th Victim

Yes 100,000 an episode is a lot of money, but she and George are the lowest paid of the main actors. $100,000 and episode for a main character on a 7 year old show that has been number 1 for the number of years CSI has is a joke.

Even the lowest paid of the main actors on Grey's Anatomy have already been bumped to about twice that and they have only been on the air for 2 1/2 years and have been #1 on and off only this season.

Even though it seems like a lot of money try to compare it to what it would feel like in your chosen career. You work 7 years for a job have the seniority and a proven track record but you are paid half as much as the competitors who have less of a proven track record or years in and you make less than people who have been there less time than you (Gregg) how would you feel? It's not about being able to support yourself, it is getting what you earned.

12. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

Well, we know for certain that the claim that the script had to be rewritten during filming to add a cliffhanger is completely false, since the spoilers regarding the cliffhanger were out on the internet (along with parts of the sides) BEFORE filming began on the finale. And if they got that wrong, who knows what else is incorrect (my money's on most, if not all, being rubbish)

13. pruehall

pruehall Civilian

I agree, I think a star should be allowed renegotiate their contract to get a fair salary based on how well a show is going. But not to showing up for a filming because you don’t like scene or what is happening with your character is not cool. She inconvenienced the cast and crew over her personal battles over money. Per her own spokespeople she did show up for the filming only AFTER they rewrote the scene to a more “open ended” ending.

Her actions seem rude and very self-centered, if they are true, which they seem to be. I mean why has she not denied the story if it was not true? This story has been around for days and she has not said a thing, so my guess it that it is more true than false at this point. Plus she does have a habit of doing this doesn’t she? I mean once maybe a mistake, but twice?

14. fifty8th

fifty8th Victim

Do we know that she only showed up after, the statement from Jorja's rep was paraphrased by the NY Post, who could have easily added the "eventual" to fit their article.

For a month now we (the spoiled) have known it was a cliffhanger and that Sara's fate was up in the air at the end, this was not something changed last week to suit the whim of Jorja Fox.

Why has she not denied it, she shouldn't have to, or maybe CBS asked her not to to avoid a Grey's Anatomy type media thing either are possible. Not every false article is denied a lot of the time they are just left to die. She is in a contract negotiation with CBS, she does what they say and if they say, say no comment she does.

She does not have a record of holding out, SHE WAS FIRED THE DAY BEFORE SHOOTING BEGAN, over a mix up with a letter she was supposed to send them saying she wouldn't hold out (it was late) it is impossible to hold out on a job you have been fired for. The way I look at IF she did it now it is the first time and she may as well do an action most people still say she was guilty of in the first place even though she denied it...like then does it matter if she denies it? People believe what they want to believe and I want to believe she is innocent until someone believable tells me otherwise.

15. kathlynne2

kathlynne2 Civilian

Was this in the "TV Guide"? Or New York Times?