Horatio & Yelina #6: A Sense of Belonging - So Say We All!

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by Lucy, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Re: Horatio & Yelina #6 - A Sense of Belonging - So Say We A

Agreed. ;)
    Very much so. In essence, 'Burned' felt like a good (but not great) Season 2 episode. I think my enjoyment of it very much stemmed from the H/Y interaction. Having been starved of it for so long, it was like seeing the sun come out after a long, cold winter! Two seasons have passed and all that has changed between them is the fact that they have both experienced more heartache. In terms of H/Y development, we are back where we started. If anything, I would say H is even more closed off emotionally after being dragged through the contrived Marisol debacle. If he can begin to move on from this before end of season, that will be a promising sign.

I also agree that some of the writing and dialogue still left a lot to be desired. I felt that 'Burned' was definitely better than 'Rio' though, in that the dialogue at least flowed and sounded much more natural between our two. There was an awkwardness, due to their time spent apart, which I thought was conveyed very effectively. Then again, I would expect nothing less from SM and DC. ;)

2. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

Well I for one found the dialogue in "Burned" briliant. But that's maybe because I don't have a problem with them standing still for now.. a lot has happened and they have to get through that. The writers had to explain why Yelina hasn't been around in the episodes, I think they've handled that aspect just fine. Now that Yelina pointed H on the fact that he doesn't come by aka hinting that she wants to see him a lot, we'll be seeing more of her and H again..

I personally would've found it very unbelievable if Horatio would've taken the first step .. especially so soon after both their spouses died... I think in time we might see Horatio open up, perhaps after a "near death" experience he'll see the light. I actually find that a blessing that he's still the same in that perspective, he may be super H but Yelina still gets to him :)

3. lieueitak

lieueitak Hit and Run

I agree with, Kit4na. Even though season 4 stunk, I think it's better to work through the issues they've raised than just drop it, and that's definitely what we got here. And so, though in some ways we were revisiting what we've already seen on the show, it was something new in that after all this stuff had happened, Horatio and Yelina could still get back to that point. It was a more subtle way of showing just how powerful their bond really is. And still entirely believable.

The dialogue wasn't fantastic, but considering what we've been getting... pretty good in comparison to what we've gotten the last two seasons.

4. MiamiDade

MiamiDade Pathologist

Same here. :) I do agree that parts of the dialogue were weak, and I've come to expect that from Miami (over the last two seasons in particular). I was pleased to see some continuity though, even if progress wise, nothing has essentially moved forward (do these writers know the meaning of sustained development?) The question is, can they manage to build on this in an inspiring fashion?

5. CathStokes

CathStokes Head of the Day Shift

Hiya. I just thought I'd drop in and say, I thought Yelina looked amazing in 'Burned' and I heard she was coming back, but I honestly didn't know it was that soon so that was a great surprise. Does anyone know if she's sticking around or coming back in future eps or anything?

It was nice to see that the H/Y chemistry was definately still there.

*runs and hides*

6. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

I totally loved the H/Y interaction this past episode! When she came around the side of that car my eyes bugged out of my head!!

It pays to stay spoiler free!! ;) :p

7. polina

polina Rookie

to my regret I don` t have opportunity to hear all the commets to this show ... :( but you say about it from time to time so I really don` t think i need to hear it myself

so thanks again to all of you ;)

8. Lucy

That was a great moment! I think their scenes were orchestrated well (some dialogue aside). I really liked the way Yelina slipped back into proceedings, almost as if she had never been away. I firmly believe the show needs her character and I just hope that the writers don't make the same mistake again. Her character needs development and screentime. She is also one of the only characters that really brings out the best in H's character too, in terms of showing believable emotions. :)

9. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

Perhaps the problem here is that tptb have not a story writing clue what to do with these two hence the glaring lack of anything remotely approaching creative writing, sustained development and measured progress for H&Y (with the exception of a handful of episodes).

The more I read some of the H&Y dialogue from "Burned", the more affronted I get on a cellular level. Let's see...

1. Horatio: *with gun drawn* Anthony Bryant, show yourself.

*Yelina steps into view*
    Horatio: *lowers gun* Yelina? What are you doing here?
    Yelina: Working. I'm a private investigator now. I thought Ray Jr. would have told you.
    Horatio: Well, he didn't....

2. Horatio: Speaking of which, Yelina, PI work can be very dangerous.
    Yelina: Ray was killed while breaking the law. I was denied his pension. I have to work...
    Horatio: Yelina...
    Yelina: I was a cop. I can take care of myself.
    Horatio: I'm concerned about people like Anthony Bryant.
    Yelina: I understand. Really. But, I have Ray Jr. to think about.
    Horatio: My point exactly.
    Yelina: Always looking after me, huh?
    Horatio: And I always will.
    Yelina: I'll be more selective next time. *walks away*

Sentiment aside both these parts are drivel and smacks of superficiality as the dialogue has nothing to recommend itself to either creative writing or continuity of expression for these two people who have a long history of shared pain and deep bonds of emotional intimacy. Honestly, it's professionally slothful. Thank goodness, SM and DC have topping loads of their special je nais se quois to infuse this dialogue with their magic and thus lessen the ick factor.

3. *H is outside the Crime Lab as Yelina walks up*

Yelina: Horatio.
    Horatio: Hey.
    Yelina: I have to say...twice in one day? That's more than I've seen you in months.
    Horatio: And I apologize for that.
    Yelina: No, I understand completely. Let's just say it's been a rough year for both of us.

Now this is more like it as it's emotionally honest and direct and true to form for these two. We've seen this from Y in several other times and they've always rung true to form for her. SM plays this part of Y to perfection.

more later....

*doggie & kitty want their walkies and they want it now. Yes, the kitty goes along as well.* :)

10. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Sorry but what does this mean?

I think the part about H saying he'll always look after her is a good step on H's part. I think it's the first time he's direct with her.

Ok I have to go now, more later.

I finished my naughty fic go check it out.
    http://talk.csifiles.com/showflat.php?Ca...ID=#Post1175199

11. Lucy

Very well said. There's something very Jane Austen-esque (in tone & content) about what you have posted here. ;) I am sad to say that I feel it is entirely accurate. Unfortunately, I have come to expect this from Miami. It is par for the course these days. For the main part, the show has become very superficial indeed and has lacked substance for a long time.

Re scene 3:
    Agreed, I also thought that this section of dialogue was the most convincing, as it showed a true understanding of their characters.

Scene 1 is much better if you watch it with the sound turned off! ;)

Hope you enjoyed the walk Tally, with kitty in tow. I wish my cats were nearly so adventurous!

12. RedHot

RedHot Witness

I Love those two together. But...
    Do you think Horatio will risk being together with her? I think he will live in fear that something might happen to her. About Yelina, she will take her chances, but Horatio might not let her.

13. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

In the end they'll have to be together.. if not why are they making so much effort? :)

14. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

"I don't know what". Used in the context of "He/she/they have a certain I don't know what about her/him/them". Meant to describe something e.g. a quality, that's indescribable. :)

---

Hey Luce, you know the line that I find most repugnant in that litany of horrors, is Horatio's utterly inane and condescending "I always will" to Y.

Judas Priest! Note to Horatio: Bugger off, son. Y doesn't need or has ever needed you to "look after" her in the way you think (or more correctly have been wretchedly written to think). What she does need from you is to be more honest with yourself and with her and to show a tenth of the courage she's shown to you. Furthermore, how on earth can the writers reconcile writing "I always will" for H when he doesn't have a frakkin' clue that Y's a PI now even though he's allegedly been socializing with RJ. Nonsensical!

Honestly! In days of yore this sort of shoddy work would be more than sufficient grounds to be bound to the mast and flogged until land was sighted or a bellow of "Thar she blows!" erupted from the Crow's nest. Where's Ahab when you need him?!

15. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

I tend to disagree with you here.. Yelina already knows Horatio's feelings for her, he admitted it in Blood Brothers. We might think it's wrong of H not to take a step towards a relationship with her. Part of me does too. But Horatio wants to be loyal to his brother. Of course he'll have issues with that since they're growing closer and closer.. I actually like the situation as it is, Yelina still tries to push Horatio, but in a more covered up way than in Blood Brothers.. We know what H is like, he'll do everything to protect his family and stay loyal to them. It's a given, well hopefuly it is, that Horatio & Yelina will get together eventually. What's so amazing about H/Y is that, after everything they've been through Horatio STILL hasn't asked her out .. he comes closer though.

So I love the mystery around "What's it gonna take for H to take that leap?" After everything that has happened he still hasn't so let's just think that'll it be something AMAZING when it does happen!

Oh maybe we should be happy that they aren't together yet, maybe when they are the writers will put this baby to sleep.. which I don't think they would, but you never know

So I wasn't at all disappointed with the dialogue in Burned. But I hope she'll return as a regular in S6 so there's some H/Y chemistry every episode. Hopefuly those interesting ideas will be really as interesting as Correy Miller says they will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.