Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

Oh wow.

For last night:

American Idol: 25 million
    House started off with over 21 million, and then in the half hour sunk to 20.803, leaving them with an average of about 21.1. This show was getting about 24 million before.

What is going on with TV ratings?

Just from last week, AI is down 11.4%
    House is almost identical to last week's figures. (20.805)

I don't know what this is going to mean for CSI or GA, but given the fact that GA will likely rise hugely in the second hour without CSI, I think it's fair to assume GA has the crown 100%. How big that crown is is going to be interesting.

ETA

Sorry, AI is acutally sitting at about 25 million. I was looking at their half-hour breakdown.

In any event, I have a good feeling that GA is going to be #1 for this week. I think people want to give Addison's spinoff a chance. I know I do.

2. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

I personally think a grays spinoff is a huge mistake...spinoffs work really great with crime shows, but other types, maybe not.

And people say that Sanjaya being voted off wouldn't affect the ratings, ha! I miss him, he was the only interesting person.

CSI ratings in Canada are dropping pretty badly. For the past 2 years, CSI has been mostly #1, sometimes 2 with a rerun (sampling from the Toronto area, which is a huge chunk of our population), but the week of April 16-22, it wasn't even in the top 10. The reruns usually get first, or second even with other new shows on. Although all the ratings are down (but not as much as the US, we don't have tivo), I have not seen CSI out of the top 10...

3. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Don't they give GA CSI's timeslot while CSI is off?

The main point, in my mind, is that ALL shows seem to be dropping. Lost, AI, House, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, CSI, Grey's, Miami, New York, Dancing With the Stars, Desperate Housewives...

I mean... I think it's hard to place blame on any one show when it seems as though everything is crashing right now.

Back before I knew figures for those other shows, I would have agreed, but at this point, it's starting to look like an outside force.

ETA

I don't have audience numbers for last year, but here is what AI and House got this week:

AI: Fresh installments of "American Idol" (households: 15.3/24, #1; adults 18-49: 9.8, #1)

House: "House" (households: 12.6/19, #2; adults 18-49: 8.9, #2)

And here is what they got last year at the same time:

"American Idol" (households: 16.2/26, #1; adults 18-49: 11.0, #1)

"House" (households: 13.7/21, #2; adults 18-49: 8.7, #2)

Here is what Lost got this week: "Lost" (households: 7.2/12, #3; adults 18-49: 4.9, #2).

Here's what they had exactly one year ago:

And with "Lost" (households: 7.2/11, #5; adults 18-49: 4.4, #5)

And before you say - hey! Those are pretty much the same, no change? Last year's was a repeat. Ouch.

Desperate Housewives this year: "Desperate Housewives" (households: 10.8/18, #1; adults 18-49: 6.6, #1)

Desperate Housewives last year:
    "Desperate Housewives" (households: 13.4/20, #1; adults 18-49: 8.9, #2)

I mean... those numbers are pretty clear. And none of those shows have new, hot shows opposite them that they didn't before. None of them are facing the kind of competition that CSI is. I think considering that, CSI being par for the course is pretty interesting.

4. gsrLOVE

gsrLOVE Pathologist

Over here, when CSI: is a rerun - they don't put GA in. However; when GA is a rerun, they put CSI: in the timeslot. I'm not sure how it is in other areas of Canada though :lol:

How do you find out what the ratings were in your particular city?

5. Maryse

Maryse Lab Technician

in my area of canada, the ratings are about the same as yours, so is the programming.

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

For most of the season, CSI reruns have been beating new Grey's...it isn't as popular in Canada as the US. Even with a different time slot, it still came at least 2nd. This past week was alarming...

Yeah, I agree with the US ratings, but the ones I look at are not that much different for the other shows. They are a little bit down, but CSI for the week I was looking at was down at least 40%. That is huge...hopefully it was just one fluky week. CSI definatly took a huge hit, compared to the other shows. Their ratings have been down for awhile, but this was a nose dive...

I am not saying any one thing is at fault. It is clear that there are a lot of fans who are unhappy in the last 2 seasons, but for various reasons.

7. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Are you sure that during that week, CSI had a new episode?

8. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

no, it was a rerun, but CSI reruns are consistantly #1 or 2, even with the other shows being new...so maybe the new eppys will increase their numbers.

9. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I meant whether you were sure they aired a re-run that night.

Look, I get it. I do. CSI's ratings are down. I'm just saying I don't think it's the indicator of quality we all took it for at the beginning of the year simply because of how far other shows have fallen as well.

Canoe Jam hasn't updated their site in over a month, so we have no idea how the new episodes of either show have faired.

10. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

Well shouldn't all the stuff regarding JF...increase the ratings? I would think so!!!

11. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I would imagine it would improve the finale ratings, but I can't see people tuning in for a finale cliffhanger if they don't normally watch, and tuning in three episodes early.

12. MissDee

MissDee Lab Technician

Heads up: Apparently because of the Grey's 2-parter, CTV affiliates are showing CSI an hour early tomorrow night. (Read about this on YTDAW. BTW, do we have a thread for scheduling issues?)

13. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

MissDee, someone mentioned it in the thread for the episode. That might be the best place. A continuing thread just for schedule changes might get confusing if people don't check which episode the change refers to.

14. gsrLOVE

gsrLOVE Pathologist

I posted this in the S7 spoiler thread, but thought it would fit nicely in here too: CSI: will be on ET tomorrow, or well later I guess later (May 03rd)

15. MissDee

MissDee Lab Technician

Ah, I see. Thank you. I'll trust from now on that the spoiled will handle such matters, as I don't dare to peek into the episode thread until Thursdays, 10 PM, EST. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.