Grade 'Cold Reveal'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 2, 2007.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I liked the cases themselves but wasn't quite as happy with the backstory stuff...I have a comment but have to say it in the spoiler thread. Anyway, I think they messed up in last week's promo 'cause they had Mac doing the badge gun handover and he didn't tonight.

Agree about Adam, that's kinda questionable. Mac too...I was sitting there trying to figure out why he thought it was pure political and my mind was going "yeah but when something like that happens, the department *has* to look into it, silly" What's confusing is the part about the DA already being satisfied...if the PD hasn't looked into it yet how can the DA know anything about it?

I agree about what's been brought up about Stella too, that the timeline is off, the big secret wasn't as big as I'd hoped, and I don't think she's the type to not arrest that girl...although they were friends, Stella would have to do her job if she wanted to avoid getting fired. (and yeah the Pino guy probably should have been more cautious about letting her help since she was technically a suspect, at least until something solid cleared her)

I'll give it a C.

2. detdonflackjr

detdonflackjr Rookie

B.

CANNOT STAND that guy from Cold Case :rolleyes:
    I thought the episode was very interesting but its not an 'A' episodes IMO..just wasnt as exciting as I had hoped but I still enjoyed it. Next week looks great so I have high hopes for that one :)

3. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

This episode was pointless in my opinion. Stella case was a waste of time, I thought we were supposed to find out something about Stella past, was it seriously that she might have been rape had she stayed with that family? If so that crap. And in S1 when we first heard about Stella being an orphan she said she grow up in St. Bailey Orphanage (I think that was the name) so was that St. Bailey or was she adopted by that family?
    The Fallen Angel case was cool, definitely never predicted the ending, but once I found out the ending it felt like a let down. Like I wasted my time. And why didn’t someone watch the tape that the found on the dead guy all the way through when they first discovered it.
    Mac whole investigation thing was cool; I can see why he feels this is an attack against him and not about the actual case. I just hope they don’t drop the ball and next week episode is great.
    The only good thing about this episode was Adam and he was only in it for like 5 mins. And Danny sticking up for Stella that was really sweet.
    I am getting really sick of the writers constantly dropping the ball. Its like they start out with this great storyline and then its just a quick downward spiral and always leads to nothing. What CSI: NY really has to do for the 4th season is get some new writers.

I’d give this episode a D+

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

She was in the house with the foster family when she was very young. When her best friend left, it sounds like the family didn't keep Stella around. I'm thinking that's when she ended up in the orphanage, but they should've made a real point of clearing that up since she's mentioned the orphanage in multiple episodes.

5. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

:eek: Absolutely LOVED this eppy! I am so glad I don't read the spoilers for NY this season, it makes such a big difference.

I don't care about the realism of the ages, they fluff realism all the time on CSI, its a given. Like a crime lab would have all that technology :lol:

A big fat A+ :D

6. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

"Cold Reveal" to me was a good episode but the way the Suspect Stella storyline was incredibly botched and dissapointing. Now granted, I tend to keep expectations relatively moderate because I know even great writers rarely bring episodes to their full potential but man, I expected something more interesting than just what happened here.

I would've loved to perhaps see Stella being arrested and ended up on the other side of the law just for something completely different. I also wanted to see more of Stella's family background and this episode left me cold in that regards. An according to the 'Story for Stella', it would conclude here and this conclusion left me incredibly cold. Not bad but a really wasted opportunity to have a great, adventurous, and even sinister background on Stella's past. I really hope the writers either take the summer time-out to really change their writing style or hire new ones because they've really botched parts of the third season.

The 'fallen angel' part though was pretty cool because it seemed to break the mold of rich men/women dying of such bizarre circumstances. The trigonometry part was really funny primarily because that's the current subject that I'm struggling with as of writing this.

Mac Taylor and Gerrard didn't seem so much like 'good guy Mac' versus 'bad guy Gerrard'. Instead, these two struck me as like when assholes collide. While Gerrard was no fun in this episode, I thought the dialogue was good. When Gerrard was like "You Son of a Bitch", and Mac getting pissy, I knew this wasn't an innocent detective versus a foul police detective but instead was a situation where big-time assholes collided. Really great to watch.

Overall, not a bad episode but compared to what I think it could've been, "Cold Reveal" is a wasted opportunity to create a dynamite episode which is why I give it a C+. Then again, it would've been impossible to cram all that into a 42 minute episode. Of course for all it's shortcomings, "Cold Reveal" still beats the pants of pap like "Love Run Cold" and certainly the atrocity that was "All Access" which I thought ruined the last season.

7. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

That's what I figured too. I remember her metioning in Til' Death Do Us Part or Three Generations Are Enough that she grew up in St.Basil, a Greek Orthodox orphanage. I dunno, maybe there was more to it.

This episode was ok. I stopped watching the show a few weeks ago & I purposly watched this one to learn about Stella's past but there wasn't much. To find out more I'll just check the spoiler thread from now on.

8. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

That Mac is a raging asswad is beyond all doubt. I understand him being upset that the department is launching its own inquiry after the DA refused to file for lack of evidence, but like it or not, Stanton Gerrard and Brigham Sinclair are right. If they don't conduct their own investigation, the public perception will be that the blue wall is covering for its own, and as Sinclair pointed out, Mac was adamant that that justice makes no exceptions for those who wear the badge when he arrested Truby.

I love Sinclair for baldly pointing out Mac's hypocrisy in that regard, and I find it telling that Mac had no comeback for once. At least no rational one. He started rambling about him being the last of Giuliani's hires.

What the blue holy hell was that? I wasn't aware that mayors personally hired police officers. What the fuck did him being "one of Giuliani's" have to do with the fact that-helpful Mac o' Vision aside-it looks as though he pushed a cuffed suspect from the roof? Is he really suggesting that this entire campaign is a Democratic conspiracy to oust him?

My God, the ego. I know Gary Sinise is a staunch Republican, but that was just...indecent, and his political leanings should not be allowed to influence storylines in such an absurd manner. He sounded like the raving paranoiacs beat cops corral out of Central Park every day.

And where does he get the audacity to charge into the Chief of Detectives' office and order him to drop the investigation? I guess respect for the chain of command only applies to his lab underlings.

Mac has no consideration for others. He insulted Gerrard and impugned his integrity before he finished two sentences. Go to hell. He and his concerns do not equal the entire NYPD, and Gerrard was doing his job, which is, by the way, to protect the integrity of the entire NYPD, not bow and scrape to Mac Taylor. Gerrard had said nothing inflammatory at that point, and he did not deserve Mac's petulant posturing and name-calling.

Mac actually showed his true colors in the teaser for next week when he snapped at Flack, "It's not about the department; it's about me." Kiss my ass, Mac. That's the first honest thing you've said in two season, you pompous prick.

And Stella. Are you telling me, o, powers that be, that Stella would allow a known murderer to flee because they were friends ten years ago? Blood sisters? You have got to be kidding me. If Foster Dad died ten years ago, and Stella was a preteen, wouldn't that make her 23 now, far too young to have been Mac's partner for ten years and in Vice for six? If she was just graduating the academy ten years ago, that means she would only have been Mac's partner for eight years at the time of "Officer Blue", but she specifically said ten. So the latest she could have graduated was twelve years ago, two years before the murder. She would also have been eleven. Are you even paying attention?

In summation:

1. Mac is an arrogant asshole who believes his word is law.

2. Stella will compromise all of her ethics as a police officer for her BFF when she was eight. Never mind that they haven't spoken in ten years.

3. You didn't give a damn about the victim, so neither did I.

4. You wasted Danny Pino, who capitulated far too quickly to Stella's offer of help. How did he know she wasn't going to contaminate evidence?

5. This show is a big ball of contradictory, self-serving shit.

F for idea.

F for presentation.

Hammer of motherfucking FAIL.

9. StellaMac

StellaMac Witness

Am I the only one who thought Cold Case guy was hot? :D *grins like an idiot*

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I gave it an 'A'

Not enough Flack though. He's got funny jokes.

10. stormymac

stormymac Hit and Run

La Guera, I agree with almost everything you said, particularly how Mac treated Gerard. Gerard came to him and was not smug or condescending and actually reminded me of Flack when he tries to give Mac a heads up when something is about to hit the fan. Mac acted like it was personal when I honestly believe Gerard wasn't happy that the investigation had to go forward. He knew he had no choice in order to protect the integrity of the NYPD but, as usual, Mac took it as a personal affront.

This is where I disagree with you. I don't think the flashback with Stella as a child took place ten years ago. I think they were just showing what she remembered pertaining to Garth. When the murder took place, Stella's "blood sister" had changed her name and was heading to her new job in DC and I believe she came back and confronted Garth as an adult which led to his murder. I do think that the whole graduating from the police academy ten years ago was a crock, but I think both flashbacks were from two different time periods.

Just my opinion.

11. ejacksonian

ejacksonian Hit and Run

Although I agree with most of your points, your rant against Gary Sinise was pointless. First, he doesn't write the lines-the writers do. You are obviously and clearly very mistaken on that regard.

However, I want to point out that the writers might not have necessarily wanted to potray Mac in a positive light. First, Gerard and Sinclair were right-even apolitical persons could have seen that.

That was the whole point, if you ask me-to make Gerard and Sinclair look sympathetic . Gerard and Sinclair are obviously not Ecklie, Stetler, and the Undersheriffs of Las Vegas, who all are irresponsible jerks that know the system well enough to misuse and abuse it. Rather, it seems like the writers are attempting to potray Sinclair and Gerard in a more sympathetic light-public servants that are trying to do their job to make sure that criminal justice does not violate the rule of law and the rule of the people.

12. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Excellent points made so far. :) I didn't pay too very much attention toward the beginning--I found the chat I was involved in more interesting, but anyway...

First, the good:

~ I liked the way that Stella and Valens interacted, although I'm not sure why he wasn't more suspicious of her.

~ Danny sticking up for Stella was nice, as well as him asking her what was going on as soon as Valens had left the room.

~ Hawkes and Adam trying to use trig to figure out where the guy in the angel costume came from was fun. (Adam!Love! :D But why does he always wear two shirts?)

~ When Gerrard went to talk to Mac, I also felt that he was letting him know what was going on and that it had to happen. Granted, I didn't have my full attention on the screen during the whole show, but I liked that he seemed to be taking a page out of Flack's book in this instance.

(I'm sure there are more, but I can't think now...)

The not-so-good:

~ The timelines were confusing and felt cobbled together. How long have they known they were doing this storyline that they couldn't get it across to the audience? This reminds me of the shoddy handling of Lindsay's story.

~ The young guy just happened to be wearing angel wings when his body just happened to end up being flung into a church? Convenient.

(Again, I'm sure there were more, but I can't think of them at the moment.)

Overall, the episode had good elements but seemed badly put-together in the end. I would have liked the stuff with Valens to last longer, maybe over a couple of episodes, but meh. Maybe they're planning a real crossover with the shows for next season and this was the lead-in?

The writers need to sit down and write out a timeline and then print off a copy for everybody to refer to. They also need to write out backstories for all of the characters and share those as well. Maybe then we'd see less of these illogical explanations. I find it amusing that, in fandom, some people get very touchy if you don't stick to the canon--here, the canon doesn't even stick to the canon. :rolleyes:

Not sure how I'll rate the episode...

13. celtess

celtess Rookie

That's the first time a take a "C" for a episode of csiny.
    I think it's because there are a lot of intrigue.
    I doen't like the case with a Angel. And I don't why Pinot is in this show. It's not realy a cross over in my opinion.

14. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

While everyone noticed the sweeps month stunt casting of Danny Pino (Scotty of Cold Case), did you see Gary Sinise's buddy from Forrest Gump? Mykelti Williamson (Bubba Blue) played Chief Sinclair.

15. Tequesta

Tequesta Rookie

No offence to CSI:Miami fans, but I just read the pteview for 'Cold Reveal', and it sounds like it's gonna go down the road as CSI:Miami: full of crap. Crossovers with other, relatively unrelated shows never work. It just sounds like the writers have been reading too much fanfic. CSI:NY has been really good, up to this point. Sorry, but that'as just what I think :(