The British and Irish Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Mar 13, 2007.

1. saffire161070

saffire161070 Victim

Aghh, Elsie, I was born there too. The last time I was in Fulford was in about 1981 and the fire brigade were using the hospital for hosepipe practice. I think it's been knocked down now (not surprsing really, it was falling down I think.) Also, last time I climbed up to the White Horse was in '99 and I was pregnant with my eldest daughter. Love sitting up there with it's views to the moors, dales and coast. Glad to hear they are keeping it looking nice. Will have to take kids for a trip up north, my son would love the railway museam (he is 3 years old and anything that looks like Thomas the Tank engine is good in his eyes!)
    By the way, anyone ever tried Oxford's one way system? It's famous for being rubbish.....

2. everclaire

everclaire Rookie

In Ireland we ignore St. Patricks day, they seem to make a big deal about it everywhere else though.

3. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

No, I haven't but what about Coventry? :lol: Not good.
    I was thinking the other day, that if someone came to Stratford they probably would have a hard time, it's strangely sign posted. I don't know. Anyone ever been as a visitor?
    :eek: Really? I was under the impression it was huge! Well it's an excuse for everyone else to go down the pub though. :lol:

4. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Nottingham & Cardiff area nightmare for the one-ways systems :eek: :rolleyes:

I spent the weekend in Dublin, and I think it was the first time I've been there and it hasn't rained :eek: I've been in June/July in the past and its still pissed it down. I had my shades on the entire weekend nearly :lol:

I spent wayyyyyyyyy to many €'s :eek: I still have grasped the exchange rate yet so I seem to spend far too much. I went over to see Westlife in concert :D I had a blast although I consumed far too much alcohol It was a great night, Nickys wife gave birth to twins the same day as the concert :eek: he was on cloud 9.

Anways folks I think it is going to be a lovely weekend again. I've checked the 5 day forecast on the BBC website and Sat and Sunday are 20C and 21C sunny in my part of the world, thats pleanty warm enough for a back garden sunbathe in my eyes :lol:

5. Lvodkadiet

Lvodkadiet Rookie

Sounds like you had a great time June 85.

Yes I heard about the weather this weekend too, another hot weekend, think I may go down to the coast and get some rays!

6. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Ya don't ignore it :p I've been in Dubs for Paddys weekend before and I've never seen anything like it. I've got manya irish friends who live it up every paddys day :p

7. saffire161070

saffire161070 Victim

Mmmmm - quite fancy a trip down to Sandbanks myself this weekend - shame we live so far away from the coast here in Oxfordshire, I love the sea! My three kids love it down on the south coast too. Gotta love this weather though, don't think I've ever had so much bar-b-qued food this early in the year! (OH needs no excuse to start weilding his pair of tongs!)

8. mitzi

mitzi Prime Suspect

We definatly don't ignore it! It's definatly one of the biggest days of the year in Ireland.

9. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Ohh I found myself a little discovery last night!!! :D

I was have a nose at my Virgin Media on Demand Channel and I was searching through all the programmes. Now I already knew they had the first 4 episodes on CSI:LV on there but they have now replaced that with the first for Episodes of CSI:Miami :cool: and just because it was there I had to watch one of them :lol: I have them all on DVD and seen um' a million times I still had to watch it :lol:

So if ya have a Virgin Media box and haven't seen the first 4 epsiodes of CSIM - GET ON THERE :eek:

10. pixies

pixies Prime Suspect

^^ Yea I gotta say I disagree too, we definetly don't ignore it! Dublin city centre practically comes to a standstill when the parade is on, all the tv coverage, and nearly everyone I know goes mental Paddy'd night! :L

11. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

This is just my opinion, you might not agree, but St Patrick's day isn't celebrated for the right reasons anyway. Stereotypically, people always associate the Irish with drinking, so people use St Patrick's day as an excuse to get drunk, it's not about remembering St Patrick.

And political correctness is doing its best to ensure that nobody can show patriotism for their country, even by waving flags so as not to offend anyone. Complete BS imho.

12. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

Umm, sorry to change the topic, but wasn't there an earthquake today in Kent? Anyone feel it? I didn't in the Midlands, well I sleep through most things. :lol: Speaking of sleep. *check time* Oh, dear. *yawn* :rolleyes:

13. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

Yeah, I read on the net about the Kent earthquake, bit too far north to feel it myself.... :lol: my daughter works for a claims handling company and they've been talking falling chimney pots all weekend.
    Hey June, I'm just down the A49 from you just outside of Preston and 19ams87 that's just down the road from Blackburn...as you probably already know :rolleyes: and Elsie, been to York more than a few times, always take the train though :lol: Great ta meet y'all

14. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

ooooh my Auntie lives in Preston so I frequent there often.

How nice has it been today? I am really burnt, I never put any cream on like an idiot :rolleyes: so i'll sting in the morning, but it'll be worth it when I turn a nice brown hehe :lol:

15. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

It's been gorgeous today, I agree, but I've been stuck inside cooking most of it........The *lovely* (takes huge pinch of salt) mother in law has taken to sunning herself in our garden today so I've been in hiding indoors....lolol