How to Revitalize CSI: NY *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

Stella: Bring back the tough cookie Stella that we liked before "All Access" ruined it. Also keep Stella negative for HIV or else if she is positive, I will instantly toss CSI:NY into the furnace. If there is something bad about Stella that is revealed, make it something like where she may be connected to a huge drug ring that existed in the late 1980s when she was a teenager and though the dealers were arrested, Stella actually got lots of money from them and used it to get away from it and go to medical forensics school. Now almost 20 years later, her possible involvement may come back to haunt her in ways that will shake the team. I hate seeing the traumatized/abused Stella but would love to see Stella the Monster. Some of her peers who were raised in the orphanage with her would later develop close ties with the Mafia and Stella often regularly spent time with them.

A 'Cold Reveal' would perhaps be that she has two brothers who are deep in the Mafia business. Imagine how much would hit the fan when she discovers this. Her test comes back negative for HIV but the joy of that is cancelled out when her past catches up to her.

On Danny: I wouldn't be suprised at the whole idea that Flack may be somewhat attracted to Danny. Studies have shown that the VAST majority of people regardless of cultural norms or religious beliefs, will have some sort of attraction to members of their own gender, even so called 'straight' people. If there is anyone who is 100 percent straight or gay, they are extrememly rare, if not non-existant. I don't have a concrete opinion on his whole fling with Lindsay but the way they have handled it so far has not been all that great and actually comes off as juvenile and high-school drama in nature.

2. dl_shipper34

dl_shipper34 CSI Level One

1) Bring Reed back into the storyline. I understand why he's reluctant to speak with Mac but Kyle is a wonderful young actor. He shone in all his scenes. Give us something more to work with.

2) Flack is a great character, love his snarky comments and tough attitude. Where the hell was he in Wine and Roaches? I was happy to see him in the first 10 minutes or so, then he vanished! :( keep him in the eppys.

3) Danny and Flack...despite it being a long-shot and me not shipping them, I think it would make for a good storyline. I belive they're nothing more than close friends, however if Flack went up to Danny and said "I love you", I wouldn't stop watching the show or anything like that. I believe in gay rights.

4) In terms of Danny and Lindsay...whatever floats your boat :). I'm sticking with them.

3. Aaralyn_J

Aaralyn_J Dead on Arrival

1) Get rid of Lindsey. She is a one dimensional love interest now. They dropped the ball with her and there's no fixing it.
    2) Make Peyton, Sid, and Adam regular cast members. They're a talented set, why not give them more air time?
    3) Give Hill and Eddie storylines. They have so much talent. Why are they on the backburner?
    4) If TPTB must keep Lindsey, at least get rid of the crappy DL storyline.
    5) Stop making Stella a victim. It's getting annoying. Stella is a survivor.
    6) For the love that is everything New York, let there be cases involving people of different ethnicities. It's a diverse city, so why don't we have diverse cases?
    7) Stop with the two case episodes. LEt there be one case everyone's working on. It would allow for more character development.

Okay, that's it. I know I probably echoed just about everyone else's opinions but, oh well.

4. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

You know, they could totally roll all these things into one AWESOME episode.

Danny/Lindsay get into a fight, he goes off to Flack for comfort, when Lindsay finds them canoodling in bed. Something up there snaps, she arrives for work two hours late with some semi-automatics, a couple of gas bombs and a hand grenade or two. A bit of havoc is wreaked and some redshirts are shot when, lo and behold, Stella saves the day with some awesome kung-fu skills. Alas, now (for some reason) the ambulances can't come, so its up to Hawkes to save all the bullet-riddled lab techs.

I'm not too sure Sid, Peyton and Adam fit into all of this, but I don't think anything would prevent this episode from winning an Oscar.

5. audrina

audrina Police Officer

Mine echo many others, but oh well!

1. Hawkes. Hill Harper is incredible, and I would love to find out more about his personal life. He has such an intriguing back story (left medical career, prodigy, etc.) that's been left hanging.

2. Flack, echo what I said about Hill for Eddie. I want to see his personal life, that he actually HAS one. I just want to see that there's more to him than being a cop.

3. More Sid and Adam. Love them both, esp. Sid. Peyton's okay, but I would rather see more of the other two rather than more Peyton at their expense. I have warmed to the Mac/Peyton relationship, though. She brings out a tenderness in Mac that I love - Gary's acting when he pulled Peyton into his arms and promised to make it work? Took my breath awya.

4. I agree with anyone who spoke of the continuity fairy. Just follow through and fill in storyline gaps. Please.

5. I agree also with whoever said they would like more eppies wiht one big case. Those seem to work well.

6. Give Lindsay more of a storyline outside of Danny. I like the couple, but I agree with those who have said they're making her too one-dimensional. I loved the girl who was excited about the cross bow. The one who almost bounces with joy when she has a lab breakthrough. Bring her back!

That's it!

6. Khanada

Khanada CSI Level Two

Here's a thought:

CSI: NY could hire one of US to be the continuity fairy.

7. seeker

seeker Hit and Run

Interesting thread! It's like a wish list for the show...should be submitted to TPTB!

Everyone said something that's on my "wish list" and if I keep quoting then this'll be ONLY quote boxes!

* More focus on Hawkes and Flack! All I remember about the two that really showed their talent this season was the Flack/Mac confrontation...as for Hawkes his issue with Shane & why he walked away from Surgery (which kinda lost it's "bite" coz my focus was on Danny shirtless!) :D...the two have been standing in the wings for FAR TOO LONG!

* Adam & Sid--love it when they play their short time on the tube to the hilt...but I don't want another "Greg Sanders" if they plan to do that with Adam--something more original...I dunno what, but hey that's why their paying their writers thousands of dollars for.

* There has got to be more characterization to Lindsay than the "romantic country girl with issues"...they could make her into a b*tchy diva trying to take over the lab, twisting Danny's mind and convincing him that they could take on Mac & Stella and overthrow them then take their positions! :lol:

* Stella--what happened to her??? Seems like her cat claws have been extracted! After the Frankie incident I haven't seen a lot of her "I don't take cr*p from anyone!" personality. Like what's been said before Rambo Stella has gone MIA in S3--bring her back!

* Danny--well since the finale this season seems to be revolving around him, I'll reserve my judgement. After the "Dindsay" fiasco, the writers owe him SOMETHING, right?

* I agree--one big case episodes should be called for AND diversity. NYC IS a culturally diverse city--I mean, when I went there in November my friends brought me to Chinatown and at one of those fish market stalls there I heard people speaking Fookien, Italian, Swahili, Tagalog and Greek aside from English--it was a freakin Tower of Babel! Why aren't they showing that if they say that New York City is also a main character of the show?

* AZ or someone--I forget who :confused:...mentioned that CSI:NY is the one in the franchise that not only shows the cases but delves deeper into the main stay charaters lives...so far I haven't seen a lot of that. They'd better make up for the lack of characterization--they say they want to "delve deeper into the characters"? In my opinion, they haven't even scratched the surface. Now that's what I want to see in S4...

* This season, they had good to mediocre cases, as for the characters it's been ho-hum for me...Basically I'm just saying, more time to those neglected in S3 and give the actors beefed up story lines concerning their personalities

8. privatename

privatename Rookie

I am surprised how many people on this thread want Peyton to be a regular cast member. Gah, that to me would be awful. I would say get rid of her. If she gets more screen time next year, I will probably watch this show less often.

Otherwise I like many of the suggestions that people have made.

9. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I know this is coming from the point of view of someone who enjoys Peyton, but I do like that they have developed her above and beyond just "the woman who Mac loves/is dating". The writers have developed and fleshed out her character/personality/background, and I think Claire Forlani has the charisma and acting chops to carry it off. Now if they could only develop Lindsay's character so well... At any rate, I don't necessarily want to see more of her than what we're already seeing, she's recurring, not regular, after all. But I do want to see her come back next season in the same capacity.

10. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

Seconded - I love me some Peyton. And as someone who usually finds female characters irritating, that's a huge compliment. Peyton is a subtle, wonderful character. I'd like to see her developed beyond Mac and have her, Adam and Sid be seen as main characters.

MidnightTiptoes and Showtime - I can barely type for laughing, but you've pretty much made my day :D

11. Starpiper

Starpiper Hit and Run

Lindsay...I'm not a fan of the D/L relationship, but if TPTB have decided that they're going to plough ahead with it and damn the torpedoes, then I at least want them to step back from the romance long enough to build up Lindsay's character. And no, giving her unresolved, PTSD-related issues does not cut it. Give us more about her, personally and without Danny, TPTB. Moooooore.

I'd really, really like for them to do more stories directly involving Flack and Hawkes. They're such fascinating, dynamic characters, it seems like a shame to confine them to the realm of glorified recurring character. I think they've already made a few steps down the right path by having a lot of Hawkes moment earlier in the season. More of that, please and thank you. ^^ As for Flack, more than the legendary Daddy Flack showing up, I want TPTB to show, on screen, whatever heat Flack is taking from the other cops in his precinct for his part in the arrest of the dirty cop back in Consequences.

Heck, just let them bring in more detectives, period. I love me some detectives and sometimes, much as I love him, it feels like Flack is a one-man homicide department.

RE: CrushingOnDanny!Flack

Ummmm...I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, I think it would be awesome to have a tough, snarky, traditionally-masculine character turn out to be gay or bi (or pansexual, I guess. I don't know, are there any pansexual characters on tv?). I love me some stereotype-breaking. Plus, I tend to view Flack as not being straight and having a thing for Danny, so personally and selfishly speaking, I'd love to get a bone of canon thrown my way. On the other hand, though, I have this fear that if the writers did do this, then they would make gayness/bi-ness/not-straightness the entirety of Flack's character, to the point of ignoring everything else about him (a la Northstar during Chuck Austen's run of Uncanny X-Men).

As for the rest of them...I like what they've been doing so far, so I don't want them to change. I like the more mature Danny that's been showing up, though if they would give him a few more scenes, every so often, where he gets to grouse a little, that would be great. ^^

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I'm of the same mind. I'd hate them to reduce Flack's character to just being a guy struggling with his sexuality/feelings for Danny. There's so much more to him than that--the snark, the loyalty issues, the living up to daddy issues. But I think his feelings for Danny open up a side we haven't seen much of in Flack (save for scenes with Danny like in On the Job and RSRD), a softer side. Don't get me wrong, I love how tough and strong Flack is, and I don't want him to turn into an emotional basketcase like Danny. But I think it's fascinating that the only soft spot we've seen this tough, sarcastic NYC detective is for this vulnerable man he thinks of his best friend. I also think that it would make for an interesting dilemma for Danny if he found out Flack is in love with him. Is he leaning on someone who has feelings for him too much? Is Danny being selfish in that way? It could be a great character arc for both of them.

13. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Would I mind seeing a gay or bisexual character on CSI:NY? Absolutely not. In fact, I think it would be fascinating to watch if done well. But why does the inclusion of a gay character automatically necessitate that that sexual revelation go part and parcel with the character's love-requited or otherwise-for another main character? Why is the default suggestion always D/F? Why not Flack/Moran, or better yet, Flack and an offscreen presence rarely seen? The writers could still avail themselves of the rich angst mine such material provides without doing a disservice to the characters involved by reducing them to breathing dongs.

Thusfar, the only reasonable argument I've seen for the pairing of D/F is that it would be groundbreaking TV. That's true; it would, but so would Danny/Hawkes or Stella/Maka or Flack/OMC. By couching the discussion in terms of D/F from the outset, it reads less like an honest discussion of the depiction or lack thereof of same-sex relationships on network TV and more like the eloquent squee of folks who just want to see two guys between the sheets. And to me, that's not a good enough reason to introduce homosexuality into a character, particularly one already defined as heterosexual by historical precedent(Danny).

I like Flack, and while I think he's straight, I could be convinced otherwise. But, really? I don't want to be. I don't care about the sexuality of the characters, nor do I want to be treated to more banal scenes rife with awkward dialogue, crappy plotting and wasted seconds of previously mature, competent characters making googly eyes at each other through the lab walls. The show is already floundering in the googe that is D/L and Mac/Peyton, and the addition of another winkie to the equation won't improve the traditionally shoddy writing.

Watching Flack cry into his Heineken over Danny and gaze longingly at him through office windows is no better than the insufferable pap to which we were treated during Lindsay's absence, and I don't want to see Flack or Danny reduced to the television equivalent of Hot Topic merchandise, edgy on the outside, but devoid of substance.

If the writers truly want to revitalize the show, invest in some decent writers, stop pandering to the fandom Trend of the Week, and hire a continuity fairy. Make it watchable again, and then worry about taking risks.

14. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Very valid points, La Guera. ;)

Absolutely, which would be my main fear if there was a relationship between two of the main male characters, be they Danny and Flack or otherwise. Relationships between two main characters always seem like a disaster waiting to happen IMO, be they gay or straight.

I can definitely see why it would seem that way. For me, I've got a large number of reasons for liking D/F more than other slash pairings for the show, but at some point I stop repeating them (between various threads on several message boards :p). So while I might know all of my reasons for picking this one particular pairing to talk about, other people might not. ;) I can't speak for the others who have been pro-D/F in this thread, but that's how it is for me anyway. It's not all about two hot guys (because let's face it, the show is full of attractive people ;)), but I can certainly see why someone might assume that. :)

I think that's part of the intrigue, showing the gray areas in the accepted definitions of sexuality. But that's for another discussion thread, I'm sure. :p

Yep. A pairing of any type might be great in theory, but go totally wonky once it becomes a part of the show. I for one would have no desire to see D/F be presented as D/L version 2.0. *shudder*

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Well, sure, if Flack had looked at Moran like he looks at Danny, or gone out of his way for someone else like he does for Danny, etc., I'd say, sure, let it be someone else. But on screen the only person we've seen Flack be openly emotional about or with is Danny.

If you read the above posts, you'll note that no one is arguing otherwise. Danny is straight. No one is expecting CSI: NY to show two guys hitting the sheets together. :lol: We're hoping for progressive, not expecting a miracle. ;) No network show is ever going to deal with that. That's fine--as you and others have said, Danny's into women. But I don't think Flack is. And I think it could be an interesting exploration on a lot of levels. What happens when a cop falls for another cop of the same sex? How would it be viewed at work if anyone else found out? How would Danny react to realizing his best friend has romantic feelings for him? This isn't about two hot guys rolling around between the sheets.

Again, no one wants to see that. It would have to be true to Flack's character, obviously, otherwise it's not worth exploring. I agree that D/L is total dreck. I like Mac and Peyton together--their romance is mature and realistic, and I don't mind a little of that in my crime drama.

I think it's pretty watchable now, with a few notable exceptions--Lindsay and "Dindsay" really. There have been some really great cases this season, and some interesting plotlines. I'd still like to see Stella get a great story--the HIV scare beats the hell out of Monster Boyfriend, but since the chances of her actually being positive are pretty slim, that takes something out of it for the audience. I think Hawkes' background is worthy of exploration, as is Flack's with his father. Flack as a character interests me, and that's a large part of why I'm interested in his feelings for Danny. Whatever they are, they're obviously very strong. I think exploring them could help us see what makes Flack tick, and yes, I'm curious about that.