Question about Mac in Season 1

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by chaosTheory, Apr 10, 2007.

1. chaosTheory

chaosTheory Dead on Arrival

Hey

I bought the first season of CSI:NY recently, I noticed that Mac is wearing a button on the lapel of his jacket that has a 'D' in it.

What does it represent can anyone tell me? I haven't a clue.

2. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Oh we all want to know exactly what it is. Its D with a green B behind it. No one has came up with a definative answer for what it is, CBS has been asked by a few fans but no one has gotten an answer back. Gery Orbach had the same badge in Law and Order. Sorry I cant give you a better answer.

3. chaosTheory

Darn! I was hoping someone would know, but thanks for replying Fruitbat...I'm really intrigued by what the button is about now!

They both play(ed) cops in NY and both have the same button - that's the only relation I can find between them so far.

Lol, I wonder if it's like Mac's belief in Veneziano’s theory of quantum physics - everything is connected :lol:

4. RanMa

RanMa CSI Level Two

D is for Detective, I think.

5. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Actually, I think it was Anthony Zuiker who did address this question in a fairly recent interview. IIRC, it's similar to a badge that NYPD folks wear, but I *think* Zuiker said they changed it enough so that it's not actually the exact same badge, since they can't depict the identical one from real life, on a fictional TV show. Gary was aware of the badge they wear in real life, and he wanted Mac Taylor to be wearing a badge that had the same representation - once again, IIRC. Not surprised that one of the L&O characters wear a similar badge, makes sense, since they're also NY cops.

6. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

^^So I realize this is a stupid question, but what is IIRC? It is probably something obvious, :rolleyes: and I just don't get it.

7. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Don't worry peanut, it took me a year or so (at least! :lol: ) to figure out what IIRC meant. It's "If I Recall Correctly"

8. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

^^*slaps hand against forehead* Okay. It was kinda obvious. Thanks, hon! :)

It's quite interesting to realize that two fictional characters from two different shows wear the same badge. They are both set in NY, after all.

9. shaofu

shaofu Hit and Run

I cannot remember where I read this, so please take with a liberal pinch of salt, but somewhere it was said that the officers on duty when 9/11 happened received special recognition, represented by the lapel badge. It would make sense for Mac to wear such a thing but, let me repeat, I don't know how true this is.

10. devildoll

devildoll Hit and Run

I actually did some research on that pin a while ago and found:

The pin has letter DB on it, means Detective Bureau. In real world, Forensic Investigation Division (CSINY) is part of NYC Detective Bureau.

I did find a picture of a cap with the same D/B label on it.

Since I still cannot post image here, here is the link of the picture.

http://www.nyfirepolice.com/itemImagesSmall/100544.jpg

The site is actually a site selling uniforms and police related products, but I cannot say they are 100% authentic. Anyway, dunno how did I find these, I must be too obssessed.

11. chaosTheory

Thanks for answering my question devildoll, great detective work! :)