Why Lindsay Must Go

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by JDonne, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audrina

audrina Police Officer

lol, I know. Honestly, I was surprised they brought her back so soon. I did much prefer her in this episode, as I also like the lighter-hearted, case-focused stuff with her. I also like that she and Danny could work together without the goo-goo eyes.

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It's unfortunate that something as wonderful as having a baby could jeopardize a career, but it's the truth. You never know how a person's body will respond to pregnancy, and on a woman as tiny as Anna, any little bit of extra weight shows. I'm sure she's working her ass off to get rid of the weight, but since she's back on the show so soon after having the baby, it's noticeable. It sucks that it would be an issue, but as several other people pointed out, this is Hollywood. I'm a big girl, and I'm not insulting Anna in any way, but in Hollywood it only seems acceptable for a woman to carry extra weight if that's her niche. It sucks, but that's how it is.

Now, that being said, I doubt that Anna's spot on NY is in any trouble because of the baby weight. :) I do, however, hope that she's spending plenty of time with the baby. :)

Lindsay didn't really register on my meter one way or the other last night. There were a few quivers in either direction--positive for the fact that she seemed pretty much back to pre-dark!sekrit Lindsay, negative for the fact that we had to mention Montana again (Flack knew about wine as well, and this fact didn't come accompanied by a quip about where he grew up :rolleyes:), etc. Overall, though, the scale didn't tip one way or the other. I suppose that this might be considered an improvement, but I hope that the writers keep going with it, because the the character still needs work.

3. d2400

d2400 Hit and Run

I have had three kids and it took me forever to lose it! But I was actually thinking the same thing about Anna. Why would they have her come back so soon? It sounds terrible but it is hollywood after all. Another thing that bothers me is the amount of screen time she has been given since she has been back. People like Hill Harper or Eddie Cahill are fabulous actors (Hawkes and Flack are such great characters) and they are given just small storylines. I hope this isn't foreshadowing the rest of the season or next season. Lindsay was all over the screen last night. Other than that, though, I really enjoyed the episode.

4. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

This is going to sound mean, but it really isn't.

The double standard in Hollywood concerning weight gain is terrible, but it is what it is and if you want in you have to play the game.

I think as an actress what makes sense is to do what the doctor says - only gain baby weight. Don't use pregnancy as an excuse to eat for two when in actuality you only need about 400 extra calories a day. It is actually possible to do just that, it is actually possible to leave the hospital weighing just a bit more or even a little less than you did pre-pregnancy. I think for people whose lives don't depend on physicality, well you should do and eat what you want while you're pregnant. I didn't, but that is me and to each his own. I run almost everyday and the thought of having to struggle to take off weight I never should have gained would make me angry at myself. The soccer player in me perhaps.

I think the biggest concern over the not yet lost weight is that viewers are supposed to believe that they are looking at what, a 25-year-old, and the weight is making her look every bit her age.

Women in Hollywood seem to stand by and watch the double standard happen. They even help perpetuate it with implants, injections, and whatever else they need to do to make 40 look like a terribly pulled 25. We need to make some serious inroads in the march towards feminist equality, but Hollywood is the last place on my list, I'd rather focus on little girls that are supressed academically. Better yet, make the boys get naked more often, I'd rather see that anyway.

Last night she did not offend me which I guess is a step in the right direction, but on a show about death and violence there will come a moment when she has to be serious and that is always painful to watch, because, well, she can't pull it off. Not to mention, I have been kicked by this show enough times to know that the Danny/Lindsay interaction won't always be so mild and I dread that day, because the lack of chemistry and sheer juvenile nature of the interactions piss me off.

5. CSIChick27

CSIChick27 Dead on Arrival

I'm not sure if I'm at the point of saying that Lindsey should go or not, but I found Lindsey to be a very confusing character. It's like the writers don't know what she is, so they made her a mix of sugary sweetness and major snarkiness which fell flat to me. I also noticed that instead of her melding in to the New York crew, they've readjusted themselves to fit her. I'm really hoping that "A Daze of Wine and Roaches" is not an example of how it's been since season two nor an example of things to come.

6. audrina

audrina Police Officer

I have to agree with you here. I've never understood why they set it up with this whole Lindsay background to make her 25 ... I actually like the character, but she does not look like she's in her 20s anymore.

As for Anna and her appearance, one last note: It appears this episode was likely filmed a month or so after she gave birth. Most doctors will tell you not to exercise for 6 weeks, and if she's breastfeeding she can't diet too much. To me, she doesn't look like she has tons of extra weight on her as much as it appears that she has the saggy skin. I lost almost all the baby weight within the first few weeks, but still looked flabby since my skin was still out of whack (bad genes).

I expect she'll be back in form in a few eppies.

7. Faylinn

Interesting. I've never had kids, so that's good to know. ;)

The tell-tale sign for me that she was pregnant was her face. You mentioned bad genes--she's lucky she didn't get like my aunt, whose nose got huge when she was pregnant for some unknown reason. :lol:

The promo pictures for episode 20 (I think) are up in the NY picture thread, and she's definitely been working her butt off. ;)

Oh, and ditto about the age thing. She doesn't look that young, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know why the character is supposed to be that age when it isn't realistic for her in the first place. I can buy Hawkes being in his mid-thirties even though Hill is ~40 because Hill just doesn't look his age, but Anna doesn't look like she's in her mid-twenties...

8. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

Lindsey looks older than Danny and Flack. That's why I get the impression that in the CSI:NY family, she's the elder sister to the mischievous boys that are Flack and Messer.

9. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

If she's the elder sister, why does she whine like a little girl? Hopefully now that we're done with the dark secret nonsense she'll stop that.

10. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

^She acts like a little girl whenever she's with Mac and Stella. An awkward teenager when around Danny. A stranger around Sheldon and Flack.

She doesn't exist when Danny and Flack are talking in a scene with her.

11. Observaent

Observaent Victim

ya i was to surprised that they brought her back soon.But i am glad they brought her back soon, and i am glad that lindsay and danny can work together again ,(meaning that after lijndsay turned danny down they couldn't even be in the same room most of the time.) :D

12. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

While this is true (I have 2 kids), you can still walk and do simple exercises. Doctors will also tell you that. Depending on your genes, how you look as you lose the weight varies greatly...

so true, but that goes for everyone--whether you are an actress or not...gaining too much weight can actually be harmful to you or your baby.

Well, I am glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that. I am the oldest sis and I don't whine like a baby. Hopefully, like you said, that will stop now. I don't like throwing up. :lol:

*giggle* her nose? oh my--that must have been a sight! :lol:

about the whole age thing: I agree that it makes utterly no sense. Why is she supposed to be 25? Is it supposed to make her more appealing? Well, if that's the case, it hasn't worked.
    @ JDonne: The double standard in Hollywood is infuriating. It actually exists to some degree everywhere you go. Girls should be made to worry about enriching their minds, not their bodies. They should be made to take care of their bodies, not obsess over every little calorie....

13. Faylinn

Dude, you have no idea! I mean, she gained weight everywhere, and her face got bigger, but wtf was up with her nose?!?! :lol: *fears that I've inherited those genes*

It's probably supposed to make the younger audience relate to her more. *is 22* I don't relate to Lindsay. I also didn't grow up in the big city, and I've been the new girl in town, trying to fit into the established relationships between other people. I still don't relate to Lindsay, and to the extent that I do relate to her, it isn't going to make me automatically like someone if we have something in common. I adore Sheldon, and I have zero in common with a (sexy) black male doctor in his mid-thirties (this age being based off of the field application from "What You See Is What You See" in season 1)--the appeal of a character doesn't rest solely on the fact that the fans can relate to him or her, and it shouldn't.

However, I think it might be 28 that she's supposed to be. I believe the spoilers said that Lindsay was 18 in the flashbacks, although the 'Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants' moments screamed that she and her friends were younger.

14. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

^^Well, I see what you are saying in that I understand a little why they wanted her younger.
    but---people who are younger relate to the show based on its merit, not on how old someone is... the writers might want to realize that, huh? I am 26 and in no way do I relate to Lindsay....
    and, yeah, they do seem younger in the flashback...it seemed more like they were around 15.
    Dunno...they need to shape her character up. ;)

15. Faylinn

Yep. I suppose it's a misguided idea that youth is universally more appealing, even though we're not watching a teen drama, we're watching professional adults investigate death and crime.

Exactly. Plus, if we were supposed to believe the spoilers that she was 18, why not have them say something about graduating? *sigh*

They need to do something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.