A Return Of Lt. Dan To The Big Screen?

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Mar 15, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

An allegedly reliable though anonymous source provided <font color=blue>Cinema Blend</font> with the latest developments in the possible return of Forrest Gump.

In 2001 writer <font color=yellow>Eric Roth</font> penned a sequel to the film for which he won an Academy Award in 1994. Apparently stuck in what is known in the industry as “development hell,” the script is being given another look by Forrest Gump producers <font color=yellow>Steve Tisch</font> and <font color=yellow>Wendy Finerman</font>.

Roth’s sequel is based on the <font color=yellow>Winston Groom</font> novel Gump & Co.. Groom wrote the Forrest Gump novel on which Roth’s screenplay by the same name was based. Gump & Co. follows Gump through the 1980s and 1990s. Gump’s shrimp business failed and Jenny died, leaving him a single unemployed father. As to be expected, the character stumbles through major historical events.

The burning question is whether <font color=yellow>Tom Hanks</font> will return as Forrest Gump. He is allegedly in talks with producers, but nothing is definite at this point. Word is that CSI:NY star <font color=yellow>Gary Sinise</font> would likely be back as Gump’s war scarred pal Lt. Dan. Sinise received a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for that role.

To get the full scoop, head over to <A class="link" HREF=http://tob.hollywood.com/2007/03/08/forrest-gump-sequel-is-in-the-works/>Hollywood.com</a>.<center></center>

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Ooh, interesting... I loved Forrest Gump, and Gary Sinise did such a great job at Lt. Dan, I can't imagine how a sequel could ever live up to the first movie but I would love to see them try. I thought Tom Hanks and Gary Sinise had such great chemistry in Forrest Gump. :) As you can probably tell, I'm excited by this. :lol:

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Without Tom Hanks, I don't know that it would be worth seeing...I'm interested to hear if this is an actual possibility, though...

And nobody could be Lt. Dan but Gary! :lol: You could say that Lt. Dan is my reason for watching CSI:NY. ;)

4. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

yay a sequel! I'm excited now, because I love that movie. Both Tom Hanks and Gary Sinise were excellent in it. It would be interesting to see it really happen. I'd watch it!

5. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

No. No. No. Why does Hollywood insist on ruining perfect movies with sequels.

I loved Lt. Dan in the original but I really don't think a sequel is a good idea.

6. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Erm... Interesting. If they did do this I really don't think it will come even close to being as good as the first one. I would love to see the return of Lt Dan as I enjoyed his character, but I doubt they'd be able to pull it off as well as the first.

7. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

I'm gonna be really disappointed if Tom Hanks and Gary Sinise both sign on to do this clusterfuck of a movie. I'll be even more disappointed if they both don't sign on to do it and then they find other people to replace their characters, just to make a buck. Just let Forrest Gump be.

8. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

No! Don't do it! Leave the original to stand alone, I say!

9. catey1234

catey1234 Pathologist

I'm of the opinion to just let it be. Don't do a sequel, I prefer to leave the original to stand alone. It is fine, without a sequel. It's a movie that doesn't need to be continued, especially 12 years later.

10. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

^Yeah, leave it be.

I mean it's hard to follow-up such a memorable movie even if the original cast are going to reprise their roles. It just wouldn't be the same.

11. Adams_girl

Adams_girl Captain

Is it sad That I'm super excited about this?

12. meandmac

meandmac Rookie

^^ yes... only joking! ;) BTW was i the only one who after watching that movie who spent most of their time re watching CSI NY to clarify that Gary hadn't lost his legs? that really disturbed me and i was constantly loking at him (even more than usual)

13. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

When I told My mom about they going to make Forrest Gump 2. My mom and I agree about one thing, leave it be. It was very long movies, he got a normal son at the end.

14. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Well, the author of the novel Forrest Gump did write a sequel to that novel called Gump and Company. In true Hollywood fashion, they're trying to capitalize on the original movie by filming the sequel as well. Problem is, the novel's sequel was not very well-received, but maybe this movie won't be so bad. I won't hold my breath though ;)

15. Danny Caine

Danny Caine Misha's Minion Premium Member

I Agree. Forrest Gump is Better By itself then with a sequel being made.