Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology class?]

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Guest, May 1, 2005.

1. CSI_Ali

CSI_Ali CSI Level One

Re: Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology clas

I've never dissected an animal, per se, but I have dissected quiet a few animal organs. A couple of years back, we had an entire sheep's (at least, I think it was a sheep) internal organs in our Biology class, still all attached together. We dissected it all piece by piece, but not before we were made to stick a tube down its throat (all that was still attatched, even part of the toungue) and breath into it whilst placing our hands on the lungs so we could feel what happened. Some kind of air sacs make a popping sound and feel, it reminded me of bubble wrap. :D I did it, it was fine, but I've got a pretty high tolerance for that kind of stuff. Still, watching my friend accidently inhale wasn't exactly pleasant, although I imagine it was a lot worse for him. :lol:

2. CSI_Duquesne01

CSI_Duquesne01 CSI Level Two

Frogs and I have done sheep eyes too. And owl pellets. I had a friend who told me in highschool he disected a baby pig.

3. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

From what i can remember:

Grade 5:

-A huge toad.

Grade 8:

-some worms

High School:

-a unborn pig
    -a young pig
    -a seahorse
    -a cat
    -About 3 frogs

That's all i remember know. But i walked into class a couple months ago, and all the corpses had their heads removed. :D

4. detectivebruce

detectivebruce Dead on Arrival

1 bird
    2 boiled frogs
    1 heart

5. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I haven't dissected an animal, probably because I'm not doing biology in school.

I doubt even if I do biology next year I doubt that we'd dissect animals. Which if you ask me is a shame.

6. virology101

virology101 Dead on Arrival

I've done a handful of frogs, some owl pellets, a sheep's heart, and a fetal pig.

My anatomy and physiology teach was trying to get a college cadaver lab to let us in to observe the dead folks getting taken apart, but they copped out on us. :(

*ETA* Yay I'm on top! Yeah, it's the little things that keep me going.

7. GartzHoratio

GartzHoratio Victim

I´ve never dissected an animal...in Spain it isn´t very common unless you are studying to be a veterinarian...(and I´m not studiyng for that).
    I have a friend who knows about that...I´ll ask him if he can "teach" me and I´ll comment what my feelings are!

8. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

I've dissected heart, lungs, kidneys and eyes. Nothing else, no full animals or anything. Although there is an already dissected mouse in a square glass jar all preserved and such. ;)
    We can't at college, simply because too many people are squimish. :( Things like that don't bother me though. :rolleyes:

9. sanderslove

sanderslove Police Officer

No, I have not ever dissected an animal. But I almost got to dissect a goat eye. But, I was suspended so I didn't get to do it.

10. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

I dissected an owl pellet in seventh grade, last year, and a squid in sixth grade. And in high school (where I'm going) we get to dissect cats. :D

11. ilh214

ilh214 Pathologist

i had to dissect a frog in 7th grade. i almost passed out. i screamed like a little girl and made my partner dissect it. i couldn't make it past pinning its little hands and feet to the table. we were supposed to dissect a cat in high school but i was convientantly sick that day...

12. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

That is so unfair. We never get to dissect anything whole. *pout* All we get is organs on their own. I want to cut up a whole animal. *folds arms* I hate living in England, stupid health and safety stuff. *huff*

13. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Hehe yeah here in the US (or even here in Los Angeles, CA) nothing's clean and sanitary! We shoulr be like diseased zombies by now. :lol:
    I bet England's beautiful. Sometimes I wish I lived in Europe. Then I slap myself and remember I live in LA and it rocks.
    I forgot to mention, I also dissected a frog and some virtual stuff, but all the actual stuff was dead- I could never cut up a live animal, too cruel!

14. CSI_Duquesne01

CSI_Duquesne01 CSI Level Two

How can you dissect virtually? When I was dissecting I stopped in the middle of the process because I didn't know what I was doing and luckily I worked with three people. I wanted to forget about it but the the next day the teacher did a practical.

15. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

A computer rpogram, at some museums or in the classroom. They're really for squeamish people, and while I'm not, it's easier than cutting open an actual creature. :D