Horatio/DC #12: Miami Never Closes. Neither Does This Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Hunter, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Re: Horatio/DC #12: Miami Never Closes. Neither Does This Th

That is a very good point. I have said this many times, but I've also always felt that complicating H's background was unnecessary. The 'death' of Raymond and how this influenced H was dealt with so subtly and effectively in the earlier seasons. The angsty NY past, the circumstances surrounding the death of his parents and the abusive father storylines just felt so contrived and lacking in originality.

The writers were trying to explain why H is like he is by adding all this drama, but there doesn't always have to be some dark secret/traumatic experience that makes a person the way they are. As has been mentioned, I preferred the aura of mystery surrounding Horatio and I liked that we only knew a little of his backstory.

2. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

I can just see it in my head, the whole team talking about Horatio killing his father....

After all, i WAS to protect his mother.

Hrockz, sweet icon. ;)

3. EyeHeartH

EyeHeartH CSI Level One

I agree that parts of H's past should have been left out. Certain circumstances that TPTB have concocted for Horatio regarding his childhood have only furthered, in my opinion, his transition from typical justice-seeker of the early seasons to superhuman, untouchable Horatio. The change has been ridiculous. If they had used said circumstances more effectively, he would have been a prime example of a tragic hero who does what he does so that no one would suffer the way he did. Maybe then so many people who aren't Horatio fans who ridicule his obsession with justice would understand why he's so bent on bringing justice to the suffering. However, TPTB's attempts to unlock the mystery that is H has failed in some senses and triumphed in others. The Raymond situation was well-done, in my opinion, for many viewers are always curious about background information about the character irrelevant to his place in the story, although the Raymond situation was eventually intertwined into the story unlike the situation regarding his childhood, which TPTB has conveniently decided to let it sit fallow. I'm glad they did, however, because since the series of episodes that revealed parts of his tragic childhood, we have heard no further developments, and viewers like me are left wondering about the different ramifications of the situation such as how Horatio dealt with the situation, if it still seriously affects him today, etc. But then again, because they left us hanging on this, they shouldn't have bothered to introduce that tidbit of information, anyway.

4. csi_pinoy

csi_pinoy Lab Technician

i think any girl would wnt a guy strong anf though enough to beat anyone up who messes with you but sensitve and compassionate enough to just be with you lol

5. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

Horatio is a one-of-a-kind guy. And when i say that, i MEAN that. Nobody is like him. He's warm , kind, compaassionate, tender, protective, and i can pretty much list every kind and flattering word in the dictionary. Plus, when he's angry, he gets his way. And he gives his number away like....so easy.... (depends on who you are i guess) ;)

Plus. He's incredably handsome. ;)

Solid colors and the 'I wonder....' expression.

*dreamy sigh* Don't you just love him?

(The black dress shirt, awesome) ;)

6. Lucy

I believe there are other people out there like him - both in the fictional and real worlds. He is a fantastic character, but he is certainly not the only person with these admirable qualities - thankfully. ;)

7. Lyra

Lyra Victim

Hi!!!! I am a big fan of Horatio!! I fell in love with his character right away!! He really IS one of a kind guy. I couldn't agree more hunter. He is everything you said he is, and those reasons are why I love his character.

I mean he is so kind! I also really love how he is with children. Does any one notice how in the shows how he's ever so protective over children? He's protective over ALL victims, and others to. He really does care. And he does give out his number easy! LOL! I think it's nice of him though, to give them his number so if they need help, or someone to talk to, they can speak to him. I like how he becomes close to the victims, and you know, watches out for them. It's not like, he solves the crime, that's it, he's never gonna try to hear from you again, or care. He always does. He always cares! Makes me go, Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
    He is so compassionate!

I like how he is with the bad guys. He never backs down, as my dad said about his character. He'll do all he can to stop them.

It's so sad such a great guy has lost so much. But it's sweet of him to try and help others all he can.

*dreamy sigh back* Yes I do!

I totally agree with this!!!! Or I dream of knowing him!! I couldn't agree more with you, you took the words right out of my mouth!!! Oh I love Horatio!!

8. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

u want a guy like H to be around u ...uhhh strangely...if ur in situation like Eric and try to explain why was lete to go on the criem scene in 'Nailed', H will juts don`t give a damn for u....or in S3 when again Delko lose his badge, what say H to him - to try fix the mess without any try for help. or waht about in 'Driven' when Eric sis was in denger and go to hospital what do H... play so selfish and don`t let Delko go see Aerosol, but charge him to stay in the crime scene and investigate. even when Ryan get wounded again epi. 'Nailed' i just don`t see any trace of H care what is going with his team member ...i can think out a lot of examples from CSI Miami S 4 that make me believe that H is not the idol guys that i want by my side or to follow his behaviour. ok in S5 have some little hint of the shadow Real H, but still think that this character is stick on one place and don`t have any development. i want to see him 'moveing'-'alive'. and this non stop dark suit make me crazy...i can`t believe that he still play poor widower...

9. Lucy

The Nailed and Driven scenarios are fine examples of how H let himself down in Season 4. I watched those moments with H and Eric in disbelief! That really was not the H I had come to know and admire in the first 3 seasons.

Welcome Lyra. :) Just to let you know that your signature banner is too large. The maximum allowed size at Talk CSI is 220 x 75 pixels. ;)

10. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

hi and welcome on the board ;) agree that H is so kind and protective with childrens and victims, but at the same time TPTB in S 4-5 make him to be more like super hero, far way from his true character. he can`t always save the day. i know that this is his nature to help everyone, but who will help him ?! also if he is so human and real why he never do mistake. i would love to see him mess some case or miss target. i want to know how will he feel and manage with the situation. for me there are so many different possibility for development on his character, which don`t have necessary connected with his dark past. H have to move forward like and TPTB story line if they don`t want to lose more fans like me...

11. MiamiDade

MiamiDade Pathologist

It's great to see some discussion in here. :D I have to say that as much as I admired H in the first 3 seasons, he certainly did let himself down in Season 4 as Luce said. There were times that I was very disappointed in him - particularly in Nailed and Driven, as mentioned.

As for him being the perfect human being, not so. H has some wonderful characteristics (his strong allegiance to justice, his loyalty, his compassion), but he is flawed too, no doubt about that. I would also like to add that there are definitely other people out there who are as good a person as H is. :)
    Agreed. ;)

12. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

In 'Nailed' I think H did care for Ryan. In fact I think Ryan is the one guy H has a soft spot for . Remember in the episode when Ryan froze up H made excuses for him.

I just think in 'Nailed' H showed his care for Ryan by being hard on Eric. I think he has high expectations of Eric that's why he seems to be so hard on the poor guy. It happens in my workplace all the time, the more capable you show yourself to be the more the supervisor takes it out on you and piles more crap on you. And more is expected of you. I think it's one of the down-sides of being the boss, sometimes you have to think of the 'greater good'. And so you might come off as uncaring. However having said that I do wish for a more caring boss. Not sure if you guys understand what I'm trying to say.

So for personal reasons I reckon if I were his CSI I would say H on the whole is a great guy to work for but there are times when he isn't. But that makes him all the more human, and I like that his character is made out to be flawed and even selfish. He's not a robot afterall.

As for 'Driven' I tend to be like that too. My take is, you screw up you gota clean up your own mess. But that's just me.

As for the angsty past being too over the top, I agree. I mean how much can one man take? If there was ever an award for 'most amount of crap thrown at one person' it would go to H. And I too agree that a person's past shouldn't influence how one turns out in life. But I guess tptb tried to explain his connection to victims and children. Your childhood might explian why you're in a particular profession though. Which I think is the case for H.

Thanks Hunter the icon was courtesy of Kit4na as are all my icons :)

Anyways I guess we could go on and on about this and all of us will have differing opinions about him. But I guess that's what makes this discussion so interesting. ;)

13. Lucy

Exactly, I think that is the point a few of us are trying to make here, so in a sense, we are agreeing. ;)

In Nailed, Eric tried to explain why he wasn't at the crime scene on time. I haven't got the exact quotes to hand, but he implied that he was having a few problems. H was very dismissive and said that everyone has their problems. I believe that this was the first time I had seen H like this with someone close to him. The Horatio I admire would have said something like, "We'll talk later Eric...okay?" suggesting that of course he cares, but now wasn't the best time.

In Driven, H insisting that he went to the hospital to see Marisol and that Eric stay at the crime scene was totally out of character in my opinion. This was Eric's sister, whom he was very close to. H had only known her for a very short time. He showed a complete lack of compassion here. They could have both gone and drafted in another CSI to help with the crime scene. Maybe the writing was just poor here, but it didn't show H in a good light at all.

14. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

absolute confirm that my main purpose was to point out with proofs (epis from S4), why i don`t think that H is perfect human being. i just have get tired to read in this thread posts like - awww hi is so sexy, perfect, want to be my man (or dad) :rolleyes: i admired H in the first 3 seasons, but can`t close my eyes when see him to play out of character. as this have been say so many times i know that this flawed make H more 'earth', but just don`t like the way TPTB try ot convince me that there is nothing wrong in Miami this two years. so in the end, for me if u know well H character ok is good to like him the way he is, but also have to admit that hi have change (like u do my dear Hrockz)....hope this make sense ;)

15. Nicky1254

Nicky1254 Dead on Arrival

DC is the perfect guy to play Horatio... I have been a fan fof his for years. He is my hero.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.