New Carmine Giovinazzo Fan Project: Get The Man An Emmy

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Jan 15, 2007.

1. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

Amen to that. One manifestation of a really great actor is to be able to make something out of a below par material. And I have to say, even if the season so far is next to crap in terms of the non-existent Danny Messer storyline, Carmine performs well.

2. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Well-said, MrsG. Me and the other voices in my head (who all have valid email addresses) didn't get on board this project because we were fair-weather friends. Unfortunately, at the time that you conceived this project, we still had some hope for this season but it didn't quite pan out. I'll still follow the man wherever his acting chops take him.

3. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

I, for one am not a fair-weather fan regarding Carmine's work. Just because he hasn't been given the best character development this season, it is to be expected, because his character was one of the first ones, if not the first one with amazing backstory and development when the show started. I admit when I saw him in 'Blink', I was looking solely at his hotness, and not his work. :lol: But, I was hooked once I saw how much he put into his character and the depth that he took his character, Danny. He became Danny, heart and soul and that is why I feel he is deserving of an Emmy for suporting actor.

Now wheather or not it happens remains to be seen. But this defeatist attitude is shameful, I wrote the letter because I believe in Carmine's work and what he has accomplished. That hasn't changed, nor will it in the future.

4. CynRyn

CynRyn Witness

A few questions:

I haven't been on here in a very long time as my days have been consumed with schoolwork, midterms, babysitting jobs, house/dog sitting for my sister, and getting over a cold, well 2 to be exact (two weeks apart too, ain't that a b*tch?).

1st question: is it too late to send a letter? I have been mentally composing one and, now that it is spring break, I intend to write it out and send it off right away.

2nd question: Where can I go to see ratings info for tv shows? I intend to use everything I've learned in writing research papers for school to present a very convincing argument using facts and figures that can be verfied and not disputed.

3rd question: I need to make a list of spin-off shows that went down the crapper. To give an example, that show Joey which was a sort of spin-off from Friends that (so far as I know) has been cancelled. My intention is to present the fact that CSI:NY has held strong but it's not necessarily just because it's a part of the CSI franchise and to give those other failed spin-offs as examples that a high rated original does not necessarily equal a high rated follow up.

4th question: What would be the best way to find a list of shows/movies that the actors were in pre-CSI:NY? The point I plan to make from this is that while Carmine doesn't have as much experience as the others he still gives performances that are on par with theirs which, to me, shows talent and skill that should be recognized.

Now I haven't read through the 6 pages of posts I have missed here (nor the posts on the other threads for that matter) but I have skimmed through and seen that there are many who feel Carmine hasn't been given writing that could be worked into an Emmy nomination but, IMHO, it doesn't have to be dramatic for CBS to recognize talent. Danny has had some FANTASTIC scenes which Carmine excelled in, as he usually does, through his facial expressions, gestures, and body language which made Danny more real and convincing. Now I'm assuming we are focusing on the dramatic scenes because the award would be for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series right? Well my idea is that if we spotlight his total range of acting skill, which has been a huge contribution to the success of the show, then TPTB might be more willing to submit a dramatic performance, like "Raising Shane", just to bring more attention to an actor which they know isn't a one-trick pony. Does that make sense?

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts and, if possible, PM me to let me know you've replied to this cuz I get notice of PMs emailed to me and these days I don't get much time to check the forum as regularly as I did to check for replies.

Also, anyone who has been trying to think of what to include in their submissions, please feel free to paraphrase any of these selling points in your own writing but keep in mind that we don't all want to sound alike. hehe

In my jaded view, TPTB care more about what makes them moola as opposed to what shows true skill. So I intend to bombard them with facts they can't ignore that will hopefully spring $$ sings in their eyes. hehe

Oh and also, another thing I plan to mention is the fact that NY is the youngest of their shows, yet they already have syndication (Spike TV). Now part of that of course is due to the CSI fandom in general but once again, it doesn't matter how good the original was if the new one sucks @$$

*whew* I'm done typing for now, my fingers are tired. hehe :rolleyes: :lol:

5. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

No, you could still write a letter. While CBS has likely determined their Emmy campaign strategy by this point, given that their submission period has already started, the final deadline for CBS to submit episodes for consideration to the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences isn't until the last week of April. I'd say anything written to CBS up to that point might still be relevant.

There are a lot of sources for that info. One of which is the television ratings section of the Hollywood Reporter.
    Sadly, I'm not much help here because I don't watch that much tv. Where is Top when we need her? She's got some encyclopedic television knowledge.

A great source for this info is Imdb. However, Carmine has been a working actor for 10 years. He has a pretty substantial resume. So just be sure that he actually does have less experience than some of the other cast members before drawing that comparison.

Yep. Makes sense. While CBS has to select just two episodes from the entire season to submit for award consideration, your comments absolutely do not need to revolve around any one episode. We want to make sure they're thinking about Carmine and that the episodes they submit are ones that feature his work prominantly, but discussing his talent in general and all-around performance on the show is great.

6. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

As MrsG mentioned that it's still okay to write letters and the campaign really isn't over yet, I was asked a question by somebody that I will answer here as well for the benefit of anybody else who's wondering.

Somebody asked if they should take the emmy campaign ad/graphic off their pages/sites now, or leave it on a while longer. I asked MrsG and she suggested leaving it on until the nomination period has finished, ie the end of April.

Of course ... that's not an order :lol: If you really feel you don't want/need it on your page anymore, it is your page and you do as you wish :) (That's a general 'you' too, btw.)

7. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Your graphic's not going anywhere, jules. I plan to keep it on my page for as long as needed. ;)

8. MichelleK

MichelleK Pathologist

Can I ask a question? i don't really understand the whole Emmy awards? Are they voted for by the fans or by his peers?
    Like are we bombarding CBS with letters to show that if he would be put up for an Emmy we would vote for him or to just show that his talents haven't gone unnoticed and he deserved an Emmy nod!
    sorry if this has been asked already.

9. MrsGiovinazzo

For the Emmys both the nominations and the award winners are determined by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. A nominating committee within that organization determines the nominees based on the submissions they receive from the networks. All voting members of the organization vote on the nominees. The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences is comprised of people who work in all aspects of television, including actors. So, yes, his peers could potentially vote for him. Fans do not vote. Nor does CBS have a say in who gets nominated or who wins. What CBS can do for Carmine is put their support behind him and the show, which is something they have yet to do.

Think back to high school when students ran for class president and whatnot. All the colorful posters that decorated the school, candy that was distributed, flyers, gimmicks, etc. That's kind of what the Emmy campaign season is like on a much grander scale. It's played out in the industry trades, on billboards throughout the greater Los Angeles area, in promotional packets that are mailed out to the members of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. CBS falls short in this area (and others) where CSI:NY and its actors are concerned. It falls so far short that it doesn't even bother to participate at all. That is what we are hoping to change with the letters. We want CBS to get in the game and proactively try to get Carmine a nomination. That's the way it works. Networks decide which shows and which stars to support, then they dump assloads of advertising dollars into crafting campaigns to promote their favorites.

10. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I'm here. :D Um...let's see...spin-offs that got axed or failed in recent years:

Joey (from Friends)
    Time of Your Life (from Party of Five)
    Conviction (from Law & Order)
    Trial by Jury (from Law & Order)
    North Shore (from The OC--I *think* though I can't remember if the proposed OC spin-off ever got off the ground)
    Aquaman (from Smallville--pilot filmed but never picked up)

There are probably the most famous ones from recent years. Hope that helps. :cool:

11. MrsGiovinazzo

^ *applauds Top*

I knew Top would shine on that one and she didn't disappoint. :lol:

12. MichelleK

MichelleK Pathologist

Thanks for explaining it sll to me MrsG. It kinda makes sense now!

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Top is nothing if not a TV afficianado. :lol:

14. MrsGiovinazzo

Thought I'd revive this thread to provide an update. CBS didn't submit anything for Carmine in the best supporting actor category. :( Or anything for CSI:NY, for that matter. Marg Helgenberger was submitted for CSI, but that's it from the franchise.

Here's a list of the best supporting actor submissions if you're curious:

BEST SUPPORT DRAMA ACTOR

NAVEEN ANDREWS for LOST
    "Enter 77" (air date 3/7/07)

JACK COLEMAN for HEROES
    "Company Man" (air date 2/26/07)

BRIAN COX for DEADWOOD
    "Amateur Night" (air date 8/6/06)

HENRY IAN CUSICK for LOST
    "Flashes Before Your Eyes" (air date 2/14/07)

HENRY CZERNY for THE TUDORS
    "Episode 102" (air date 4/8/07)

DANIEL DAE KIM for LOST
    "The Glass Ballerina" (air date 10/11/06)

BRAD DOURIF for DEADWOOD
    "True Colors" (air date 6/25/06)

MICHAEL EMERSON for LOST
    "Every Man for Himself" (air date 10/25/06)

BALTHAZAR GETTY for BROTHERS & SISTERS
    "Love is Difficult" (air date 2/18/07)

ZACH GILFORD for FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS
    "Nevermind" (air date 1/3/07)

WALTON GOGGINS for THE SHIELD
    "Haunts" (air date 5/1/07)

JOSH HOLLOWAY for LOST
    "Every Man for Himself" (air date 10/25/06)

MICHAEL IMPERIOLI for THE SOPRANOS
    "Walk Like a Man" (air date 5/6/07)

T.R. KNIGHT for GREY'S ANATOMY
    "Six Days, Parts 1 & 2" (air date 1/11/07 & 1/18/07)

PETER MACNICOL for 24
    "Day 6: 11am-12pm" (air date 1/29/07)

GERALD McRANEY for DEADWOOD
    "A Constant Throb" (air date 8/13/06)

SAM NEILL for THE TUDORS
    "Episode 108" (air date 5/20/07)

MASI OKA for HEROES
    "Five Years Gone" (air date 4/30/07)

RON RIFKIN for BROTHERS & SISTERS
    "The Other Walker" (air date 3/4/07)

WILLIAM SHATNER for BOSTON LEGAL
    "Son of the Defender" (air date 4/3/07)

JOHN STAMOS for E.R.
    "Murmers of the Heart" (air date 2/1/07)

FOREST WHITAKER for E.R.
    "Murmers of the Heart" (air date 2/1/07)

Episodes still unknown for DAVE ANNABLE, POWERS BOOTHE, JUSTIN CHAMBERS, TERRY O'QUINN, JAMES PICKENS and all other SOPRANOS actors.

If you want to read more, visit http://goldderbyforums.latimes.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1106078764/m/55110194

There is still one small last hope for Carmine, which I mention only because his lack of submission isn't necessarily a 100% done deal yet. Based on it's air date of 5/16/07, the finale "Snow Day" would qualify for the late submission deadline of May 31st. However, what we know from the spoilers makes it sound like a fantastic episode with a huge storyline for Danny, but it's not really Emmy material. Unless ... those last 10 pages not included in the spoilers contain something beautiful like Lindsay getting her head blown off right in front of Danny and he loses his shit in the most unprecidented of ways. :lol: A girl can always dream.

Anyway, I want to thank you all for participating in this project. Even if CBS didn't submit Carmine for Emmy consideration, they at least know he's got lots of love from the fans and if the studio big-wigs discussed Carmine or the show for even a minute as a result of our efforts, that's a good thing. Just to get the show a little more attention from CBS would be fantastic.

And a big thanks to our TV-loving buddy Top for finding this info. :D

15. CarmineFan

CarmineFan Lab Technician

:( That's not fair, is it? :(