How do you feel about Lindsay?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Carrieattheprom, Nov 6, 2005.

1. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I think the "old" lindsey was better but i'm hoping that she'll be back now the trial is over and Danny and Lindsey are back to normal!!!!

2. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Ugh. Danny/Lindsay and normal in the same sentence still makes me cringe.

3. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

You're not the only one. :(

4. Rutta

Rutta Victim

I can only speak for myself, but I'm from Denmark so english is my second language. So sometimes I'm not able to share in-depth thoughts on how I feel about Lindsay... I could, but it wouldn't sound very intelligent. That doesn't make me stupid, that makes me from another country :) That's reason 1 for me often not joining the debate.
    Reason 2 has already been mentioned, it's the "tone" in which things are said in here. PrettyEyes stated HER opinion on the discussion a few posts above this one and was told, that if she can't handle the opinion of others, she shouldn't be in the debate. As far as I can see, she didn't say that she couldn't handle the debate, she just stated her opinion on it. So if I have a problem with the tone in here, do I also just need to leave the debate because I "can't accept that others have opinions that don't match mine"? For the record, I'm stating my reasons for not posting so much in here because Faylinn brought it up, not saying that I can't handle the debate... just in case there's any confusion.
    PS: Here's some of the mistakes I made: I didn't talk enough about Lindsay, this is not a thread about how this forum works, I criticized something that wasn't Lindsay.... I forgot the rest, you continue.
    Let's debate (or ban me/give me a warning/ect.)

5. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I'm pretty neutral on Lindsay though I've had some reservations. I do like the idea of a Montana girl coming to New York as a CSI and the idea of two people from almost polar opposite backgrounds actually semi-paired up but I think that she needs some good charachter development which I think has been hampered by the "dark secret" plotline. I will certainly enjoy the show even with some dishwashing TV Soap but Lindsay should get some good charachter development or else I'd rather see Danny giggle with sick enjoyment at the sight of her sinking in quicksand rather than he turn mushy with her presence but that's just my opinion.

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

I haven't seen the ratings for season 1...but they did an entire make over for the show for season 2, they spent a lot of money changing the look and feel of the show. If they were happy with season 1, they would not have spent all that money. They also changed the characters a little, so that is probably why Danny is different in the newer seasons. He was kind of boring in season 1....

7. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

I agree with Rutta in the way that if we are not that confortable with english, it is more difficult to debate about a character or even a certain episode (that if we have delay getting them).
    In this particular case, and in contrary to most of you i guess, i have to say that I like Lindsay :)(so far from what i've seen, which means season 2). I like her character, I like her way of being, I just like her. She seems a very caring and lovely person to me. I can't explain why some people just seem to hate her, but that is an opinion as important as mine and everyone elses, because opinions are never right or wrong, they are just different. I guess we just see things as we want to, and that's it! I think that once you think that (in example) she is a good character, you would try to understand her attitudes but, if you think that she is a bad girl and has nothing to do with the rest of the show, than you will always be trying to find details to prove your point of view, and contesting everything she does. Probably neither of the parts is right about it, maybe she just has bad and good points and scenes as everyone else (even in real life).

[I just hope that I was clear enough to make everydoby understand that I was not contesting anyone's opinion, but just stating mine. and i say this because of what was said by some posters. i have found this a very friendly forum, and wouldn't like to have any misunderstandings. i respect everyone and their opinions and i expect everyone to respect mine, and so far, that was what happened, and i truly believe it will continue like that ;)]

Sorry for the boring post!... :rolleyes:

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I can understand not feeling as comfortable writing in a language that you aren't as familiar with--I don't pretend to be at all talented with anything other than English, myself. :) I don't criticize someone for not writing English well, or think that they're stupid, and I can't say I've ever seen anybody do so, but I certainly understand.

The rest of this post isn't intended to insult the people I'm quoting or anything like that. I don't think I should have to point that out, but I will because it's probably better to be safe than sorry. I'm just stating my opinion and commenting on things that have been said.

No, PrettyEyes did not come in and say all of the good things she thought about Lindsay and/or Anna, she came in and commented on the way people who don't like Lindsay and/or Anna post, whether it's 'proper' to comment or criticize negatively, and generally called this thread and others 'toxic.'

If we're discussing how people feel about the character, I will post what I don't like, people can post what they do like, and we can discuss, debate and disagree with each other respectfully. I'd personally rather not keep seeing people tell me what I think and feel (since I can't decide that for myself or anything), how I react (which may or may not be correct), and generally how horrible I am as a general rule for being mean to a fictional character--not a real person, not someone's mother, a fictional character. I don't react negatively to someone telling me that they think Lindsay is great (if I don't have something to discuss/debate about the point made, I just skip that post and move on), I react negatively when someone tells me that I should like her, shouldn't say that I dislike her, or accuse me of just being a total bitch. There's a difference.

Sharing an opinion =/= Telling other people what they think, how they think it, and what that does to the rest of the frickin' world.

My comment about the longer, more in-depth posts being from people who dislike Lindsay comes from the fact that, so much of the time, if anybody says that they like Lindsay, they devote a sentence to liking her and the rest of their post to not understanding why other people don't like her, not appreciating that people don't like her, thinking that criticism of the character is an insult to the fans (which it's not), etc. That's not to say every pro-Lindsay post is that way, any more than every post from someone who doesn't like Lindsay is mindless bashing of the character/the actress/the fans' frail old grandmothers.

People don't get banned for having a certain view. I don't know where the misconception comes from. I can't think of the last time someone in this forum was banned, and I'm sure it had nothing to do with the person liking/disliking someone/something.

I don't expect you to explain why I don't like her, that wouldn't really make sense. :confused: I don't try to explain why people do like her. And I don't hate her, I just dislike her.

You made sense and it's obvious that you just wanted to share your opinion. ;)

It wasn't boring. :p

9. Rutta

Rutta Victim

Hehe, see this is where my english should be better, because what I meant with the above, was exactly what you just said: that she was talking about the way we are discussing/posting things here, not the actual content of the discussion... ehm did that make sence?
    And my response to what (I think) she said was, that I think she has a point.

I don't want to tell anyone what to say/post/think... if we all agreed, we might as well sign off and talk to ourselves.
    So I'm not saying that it's wrong to disslike Lindsay and other than you mentioning the in-depth posts and me explaining why I personally don't post much because of the language-thing, my post was not aimed at you at all.
    And I know that you weren't talking about every pro-Lindsay post. I also know that people don't get banned all the time, but in my opinion you can't say much about the way we run the discussion here, without getting a comment from a MOD. I get that this is a Lindsay thread, but where else should I say it?

That said, I still think that this (mostly) isn't a nice place to hang out anymore. To me it seems like all we talk about is either how much we love or hate DL, Danny is a Drama Queen, the writers are doing a bad job, Lindsay needs to leave, Anna is the worst actress ever blah blah. Or, to be fair... there's also threads about how hot Camine, Eddie and Gary are.

When I come here, I feel like people like bashing the whole show more than they actually like watching it. And that's what I meant when I said that I think PrettyEyes has a point. Maybe 'toxic' isn't the best word, but maybe negativity. Again, I'm not saying that everybody have to like everything/everyone, but sometimes it would be nice to read more positive stuff in here...
    To take the Lindsay debate as an example, it just seems like everything about that subject has already been said like a million times and I just don't understand, why I'm the only one that feels that way about it.

I don't want to insult anyone either, that's just how I feel about it and I don't know where else to say it.

10. audrina

audrina Police Officer

I'm not adding anything to the debate at this point, but I just have to compliment those posting in a non-native tongue. I can only speak/write in English and have endless admiration for those who can do so in more. Please don't feel strangely about posting, you both have been very articulate.

11. Faylinn

Firstly, ditto to what audrina said. This board has a lot of people from all over the world, and I have the utmost respect for anybody who can speak/write more than one language. :)

Now:

(The following contains general 'you' all over the place, meaning that I'm not singling anyone out. ;))

People can say what they love or hate or just don't understand about the show in this forum--there's a place for everything. Each character has a thread to talk about the character development and yes, how attractive the actor/actress are. If people don't talk about the characterization much, then that doesn't get discussed much. Lately there hasn't been all-that-much development for anybody to talk about. There are threads like this where people can post positive and negative opinions, but whether they post or not is entirely up to the individual. And yes, there are threads that are open for discussion of a more negative nature, but even those are open for positive discussion if anybody wants to participate. There's a place to say anything that's on your mind, and if there isn't you can open a thread for it.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Because people come in telling other people not to share their opinions if they're negative. If there is a problem with the moderation of a forum, it's best to send a private message to the moderator(s) of that forum to discuss it. :) The fact is that it's the mods' job to try to prevent arguments, and these seem to develop when someone runs in under the guise of being a martyr for the Lindsay-love cause and demands that the evil bashing cease in the forum. [/sarcasm]

Like I said at the top, there's a place for everything, good and bad, that a person wants to say about the show somewhere in this forum. If you (general 'you,' not just you specifically ;)) think Anna is doing a great job, the Anna/Lindsay thread is a great place to find other people who feel the same way, not to mention the grading thread which, despite public assumptions, actually welcomes all opinions. Really, it does, there are some great pro-Lindsay and pro-D/L posts in this week's thread that weren't 'attacked' or anything of the sort. If you want to comment on any of the other characters, there are threads for that, and so on. The forum isn't overrun with negativity, it's all a matter of perception. The grading thread might have a number of complaints about Lindsay and the D/L storyline, but it also had a lot of enthusiastic responses to the Criss Angel case--people just don't pay attention to that kind of stuff, it seems.

When I come here, I feel like there's a place for me to say the great things I want to say about the show, but also a place to express the fact that, while I love this show, it's not perfect and that I'm not always happy with things that are happening. I've been with this show since day one, and with this forum for almost a year and a half, and I have a lot more to say than just how great the show is. I share what I love, don't get me wrong, and have time and again, but I also like having people to talk to about the things that I don't love.

It's one of those cases of being a part of the changes that you want to see. If nobody says anything positive, nothing positive is said. If nobody starts a discussion about a character, the discussion won't spontaneously start itself. I for one will start a discussion if I think of one that I'd like to take part in, but for the most part, lately I've just contributed to existing discussions. *shrug*

You're not the only one that feels that way. But with any discussion, most of what is said is going to be the same thing over and over again. Talking about Danny's backstory? There's only so much to say about it before we're just repeating ourselves. Flack's family? Same thing. Any conversation only has a limited amount of information for us to go on, so it all gets repetitive. Lindsay seems to be the only topic where people get up in arms about it. :rolleyes:

Now, back to the topic at hand. How do I feel about Lindsay? The same way I've felt for a long time--she's not thrilling me. The character doesn't draw me in, I don't feel connected to her, I don't relate to her just because I'm not from the big city. Her storyline left a lot to be desired and the conclusion was unsatisfying. I started out wanting to like the character, and currently wish that I could get past the things I see wrong with her, but I'm still not setting up my tent in the Lindsay-love camp at this point.

12. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

Thank you Faylinn for clearing everything up. Thank you for read my opinion and commented it. Thank you for understand what I meant even though you don't feel the same way. That was really apreciated! ;)

13. Faylinn

And thank you for coming and sharing your opinion. ;) Discussion isn't any fun if nobody disagrees with you. :lol:

14. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

I agree. I'm one of those people (I speak more or less 4 languages). And I understand that some posts can get mixed up and misunderstood. It's hard to think in your mother tongue and to translate it to English (usually a 2nd/learnt language) so that everybody around here could understand.

Sorry, this is an OT post.