Grade 'Sleight Out of Hand'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Feb 28, 2007.

1. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

The first time I saw that gif, it was like 2 years ago and I am not kidding, I sat at my desk for hours and hours, laughing hysterically. Good times.

They should do an episode with penguins. What's so special about giraffes, anyway?

2. CalleighWolfe

CalleighWolfe Pathologist

I didn't know who Criss Angel was either :lol: until I saw him in the spoiler thread and then in the episode :p

I liked the case *hmm* it was interesting :D

Mac doing that rose thing *sighs* (here my Smacked heart is talking, not my brain :lol:) and Danny's face while he was doing the rose was priceless :lol: and Stella was like o_0, lovely :D

The trial: well it's good everything is gonna be back to normal again, with the team complete etc. :D, I'm not a Lindsay fan (in fact I don't care about her) but it's good to have 'em together :D.

Well my opinion about Danny/Lindsay: I didn't like the almost-kiss scene. Why? 'cause it wasn't natural IMO, they looked very awkward and teenagerish, I don't have anything against D/L shippers, I respect them 'cause I want respect too, and if they get together, good for them :) but I don't like the way the writers push that relationship, they've been doing it since "Zoo York". I mean if she were Aiden I'd be very happy 'cause their relationship was so funny and natural. But well Congrats to D/L shippers ;), now I want a Smacked kiss too :lol: :lol:

3. audrina

audrina Police Officer

Bah! I like Lindsay, I like DL, but I am growing weary of the debate. *sigh* People just need to chill and not take this all so seriously. I could give a rip if no one shares my opinion. *shrugs*

I've really enjoyed the show lately, and this one combined a lot of great elements - Humor (flack/hawkes, danny/mac, etc), intriguing case, great stunt casting, a bit of romance, and a defendant who kinda looked like Flack, adding to the male hotness of the show.

Worked for me, anyway. Mark this as a positive post, baby!!

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Oh believe me, I know what you mean. I have nothing against debate, but it's tiring to have to debate the right to hold an opinion if it isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

Ditto. I'll express it, and discuss it, but I don't have a problem until someone tells me not to share my opinion because they take it personally when it has everything to do with a fictional character and nothing to do with them, whom I don't even know.

Sweet! And we can see Flack in his suit and tie standing next to the penguins and snarking at anyone who compares him to the birds. :lol:

5. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Did anyone catch Jamison Jones [one of the dead bodies] who plays a Secret Service agent on 24?

6. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Looks like we found something to keep us busy with during the hiatus... :rolleyes: Please, stop the debate. Sharing opinions is fun, let's just keep it at that.

I gave the episode a B-. The case wasn't so bad in itself (actually, my dark side found it quite interesting) but IMO it'd have been stronger if explored/developed a little further. Those interruptions to focus on Lindsay and the trial broke the continuity and took away precious time that could've been used to delve more into Luke's character and what made him tick.

Won't comment about D/L here, there's too many disagreements already but yeah, it was sad. Especially the last scene. I think it's time to dig out my DVD collection and watch some of the old episodes...

7. csiviper

csiviper Witness

I think this is the only website in which people actually debate for stuff such as D/L, LOL.
    Didnt like the episode as much as The Ride In, or Heart Of Glass, I give it a -A.
    Love CSI NY.

8. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

This could have been an excellent episode. I could have given it a damn good A+.

It was a nice change to have only once case, and what a case. It was interesting, it was different and it was extremely well acted. I'd never heard of Criss Angel before this episode. I'm not 'into' illusionists. I may now change my mind. That man can ACT. He was suitably creepy and sinister, and the enraged bellows he gave at the end, blowing the hair out of his eyes ... holy shit he was scary. You couldn't keep your eyes of him when he was onscreen - that is without a doubt the best bit of stunt casting I have ever seen. The rest of the casting was good also - loved the guy who owned the magic shop - he was a hoot.

Seeing as Danny Messer's character is being reduced to sappy goo, I can see myself perhaps only keeping this appointment television (if I do, and currently it's more likely NOT to) for Flack (and Adam who sadly didn't appear tonight). Flack was at his bitchy best tonight with Hawkes. That was a priceless bit of banter. I love the guy more and more each week. Attitude .. something that has been stripped from the formerly intruiging Messer.

The courtroom scenes were kind of intrusive - jolted me out of the case everyone was working on. But had it not been for the ending (more on this later), this could have been the big chance Lindsay needed to stand alone as a character in her own right. Anna Belknap gave a believable and emotional performance - while she was giving evidence on the stand I actually empathised with her character for the first time. But the minute Danny intruded on the scene, it wasn't about Lindsay anymore.

What were the writers thinking here? I have never seen so much juvenile, cheesy mush on a procedural show. These people are supposed to be adults. Danny hallucinating Lindsay walking down the hallway in the body of another woman was utter schoolgirl ridiculousness. Cue the fluffy bunnies and rainbows. I don't care how tired he was. Yes Danny, you are indeed losing your mind. Along with any credibility your character ever had. But please believe us when we say we understand - it's not your fault.

And wtF was the scene with Danny going home, looking at his mail, and stating 'follow your instincts' about? Did we need to see that? It was totally irrelevant and unnecessary. Was it supposed to hark back to Mac's eternal scolding of Danny to not follow his instincts but to rely on science? If so, it was very badly done.

I could have forgiven Danny and Lindsay holding hands as they were sitting down waiting for the verdict to be read out. He was supporting her. But it started to slide seriously downhill when Lindsay put her head on Danny's shoulder. It didn't look natural. Nothing from that moment on looked natural. The holding hands, Lindsay drawing Danny back to her, and the 'almost' kiss, looked so extremely awkward, unnatural and uncomfortable. The actors themselves looked as if they were thinking 'oh please do we really have to do this?' Oh and the music in that scene ... oh my God ... save it for the Lifetime Channel and Hallmark movies please - that was disgraceful. The 'music-picker-person' I adore so much must have had a serious brain fart at that moment. It made me want to squirm in my seat. It was soapy beyond belief and totally lacked the quality I have come to expect from this series.

Whoever gave the directive for this is sacrificing a lot. Most importantly sacrificing the talent of an actor who is worthy of much more than this clap-trap. Sacrificing the reputation of the show for quality viewing. And sacrificing the respect of long time & devoted viewers who actually givea shit about character development, the intellectual component of the show, and more mind-bending stuff than 'who gets with who'.

We have to wait five weeks now for a new episode - and you know what? I couldn't give a rats arse. Seriously. [​IMG]

9. libertylovelife

libertylovelife Civilian

Well I’ve been trying to bite my tongue while I’ve read this thread in particular over the last couple days, and while I’m not trying to add fuel to the fire, don’t feel as though I can hold back anymore. This Lindsay/Anna Belknap/D&L situation has gotten so out of hand. My disclaimer: I am not a D&L shipper, not a huge fan of the character of Lindsay thanks to the writers and don’t think Anna Belknap as an actress is anything write home about. However, I completely agree with demor about the antics on this board. I’m sure I’ll get attacked just like he/she did and I’ll probably get the “well you can just go somewhere else if you don’t like it” or “go to another thread” kind of stuff because I’ve seen that before and that kind of stuff proves how I have come to perceive this board in the last couple days. When I saw the replies come back to demor about “discussion and debate” I laughed hysterically and shook my head. Maybe in a dream world… but on this board, fair discussion and debate does not exist. That’s fine, but don’t tout this as a fair board for all CSI NY fans if it isn’t one, and it’s really not. For one, it’s just become way too clique-ish and, unfortunately, the “elite” are those that hate LM/AB/D&L with a passion, or so it seems. I have counted numerous occasions when LM/AB/D&L haters say things that really should be seen as putting others down and nothing is said by a mod. BUT, if it’s the other way around, look out. A certain few can really get away with a bunch of crap and it isn’t right.

Whether you’ve given Anna Belknap and the character of Lindsay Monroe a chance or not, certain people really do go to desperate and pathetic lengths to point out petty things about the woman. The one that got me the most and finally made me say something? The ignorant and unforgivably rude comment about Anna’s looks having just appeared after giving birth to a child. How sad is that? You hate the woman so much that you have to insult her looks? The woman just went through childbirth – give her a break. As an actress, I’m pretty sure she could have taken more time to spend with her newborn baby, but no, she is right back to work. I find that pretty admirable. I couldn’t believe I didn’t see more people stand up and say something about how ridiculous that comment was, but I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised. For one, I guess it’s hard to stand up for a mod, but, from what I’ve seen, those that support LM/AB/D&L are simply just ignored or berated for speaking up about anything. Like I said, I’m not even a LM/AB/D&L fan really – I really enjoy the other characters more - but I have never seen such indecency before in my life. Junior high antics indeed…

10. Macayla

Macayla Captain

^I agree

I give this episode an A+, This is the best episode of the season.
    I didn't think the scenes of Danny and Lindsay were unnatural. And Anna played the scenes really good.
    She also looked great.

11. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

We’ve been figured out - run, hide, scatter! The super secret Don't Like Danny/Lindsay and Lindsay club/clique/secret society has been discovered, DLDLL for short, I'm not sure who gave us up, but our agenda to suppress all opinions is now common knowledge. You know what that means fellow members no more bloodletting or ritual sacrifices, we’ll have to regroup, more information later, but in the meantime keep your club/clique/secret society tattoos covered and the decoder rings hidden. In closing, *a series of super secret hand gestures understood only by those in the know* :D

I am genuinely amused and shocked. Come on, you can’t walk into the grading thread and expect universal delight and cooing, what would be the point. I say instead of becoming self-invented martyr/victim just say your peace knowing there will be those that agree and those that disagree.

As far as the comments aimed at my suggestion of demor seeking out the Danny/Lindsay shipper thread it was a statement utterly lacking in emotion and completely based in logic. If the grading thread is almost unanimously praising the case aspect of an episode while there are some posters raging against the Danny/Lindsay interaction and you step in and ask where is the thread for people that actually like the show, you are obviously not complaining about the rave reviews for the case. You are in fact complaining about those that fail to support the Danny/Lindsay development and the comments being made to reflect that dissatisfaction. Therefore, my suggestion was wholly logically, the only place to read nothing but glowing reviews about the Danny/Lindsay relationship would be in the shipper thread. I do not see a problem. Congrats! You got what you wanted and I in turn, maintain my right to be horrified.

Now, back to the grading . . .
    I can’t remember who said it, but it was an excellent point about the writers failing to reveal how the sawing murder took place, I missed that, maybe they wanted to maintain the mystique of magic. :lol:

12. xforce11

xforce11 Police Officer

I loved Mac's hands on attitude for the case. I liked the D/L relationship meet up.

13. ejacksonian

ejacksonian Hit and Run

I'm not petty. People on the other "side" (if that's what I can call it), aren't universal in their problem with "Lindsay".

Here's how I can state:

Group 1: Actor (Anna Belknap)
    Group 2: Character (Lindsay)
    Group 3: Relationship (Lindsay/Danny)

I fall within Group 1. I really thinks she's... not good. Not bad, but not good. It's one thing to say give the Character or Relationship a chance. It's entirely something else to give the Actor a chance. You guys can defend the Character and Relationship all you want, but I can't stand the actress. She's not bad perse, but the Actor (not character and not the relationship) detracts rather than adds to the show. I've seen her enough to give her chance.

14. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

A

I thought the A case was great. I had never heard of Criss Angel, but if those are really some of his illusions I think I will like his shows. This kind of 'magic' always gives me a 'rollercoaster ride'-feeling in my stomach. I hate to see what's gonna happen, but at the same time I cannot stop looking. And having that combined with murder makes it even more horrific.

The whole case gave me an uneasy feeling, but in a good way. And I was thankful for Flack and Hawkes. There little conversation lightened things up quite a bit.

And then in that same already great ep we finally got to find out Lindsay's whole story. I thought the courtroom scenes were excellent. That look the killer gave Lindsay while she was talking to Stella was creepy. Danny showing up there to support Lindsay was wonderful and it lightened up those intense scenes a lot too. And I don't think it took away from her developing as her own character that much. It just showed that she sometimes has to lean on people and not turn away from those who really care for her.

And of course as a D/L shipper I'm still celebrating the almost kiss. They didn't exchange a word but the scenes between Lindsay and Danny just said it all!

I graded A instead of A+ because of a few unanswered questions. When did Danny find out why Lindsay went to Montana, why didn't they spread out the scenes of Danny's visions of Lindsay, Stella's phonecall and Danny flying to Montana over three ep's, what was the killer of Lindsay's friends' motive and I never really got how that illusionist was able to commit those two murders.

15. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

YAY!!!!! Lindsays back!!!!!! :lol: I really liked this ep especially when Danny went to Montana to be there for Lindsay. :D That was just sooooooooo sweet in my book. :) More so when she went to pull him back to kiss him. ;) I thought well.......it's about time. :lol: Then of course the stupid media just had to interfere as usual. :mad: Can't wait to see where they go with D/L. I thought Anna looked great. I give the episode an A. :D