Tea and Scones ~ english thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Guest, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Ah the Brits! It doesn't really interest me, and as soon as I heard that Russell whatever his name is was presenting I knew that I was even less likely to watch. I think we saw about 5 minutes of it, most of which was the idiot being generally foul mouthed and offensive, so we turned it off. ;)

As for Top Gear, I do love it, but yes last week's show was quite offensive. I've seen Jeremy Clarkson in America in another episode as well, and he was equally offensive. You would think they would learn, painting statements like that on the cars was never a great plan, and I think they realised that and were genuinely terrified!

2. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

Here, here. I forgot to mention Brand! God, he was saying stuff about the queen and everything! It was funny at the beggining when he was opening the show, and no one was laughing, I immediately thought uh oh.
    When was he in America before? I can't believe the BBC though for actually showing it, surely they got complaints last time?
    IMO the BBC is going downhill, I don't usually watch anything else on those channels, only top gear.
    Can I just say, I can't wait till the summer, I hate the rain, it's just...ugh.
    Oh, on a happy note, the BAFTAs this year was pretty good, had lots of good people presenting don't you think?

3. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I watched the Brits just for the music really. I muted it whenever Brand was on. I find him irritating at the best of times. I was so glad Take That won. As much as anything so that Lily Allen didn't win anything.

4. Pixu

Pixu Witness

Yes, I went on one in year 10 to Paris. It was great, but the French kids presumed I was on drugs due to my hyperactive actions and one odd guy asked me if i was a 'lesbienne' :rolleyes:. My French partner disliked that we had to walk a mile to get to the school bus stop...I guess Reading's not got such a great infrastructure as Paris or London, so she was used to getting the metro all the time...

5. ryansnuttytart

ryansnuttytart Rookie

Russell Brand is awful IMO. I don't think commenting on people's mental state (Robbie Williams being in rehab) is funny or something that needs bringing up. I also agree that the brits just seem to go and get drunk, fall over and look stupid. And what about Joss Stone? From what I gather she has completey changed.

The Beeb is a waste of money. I spend most of my time watching channel 5 mainly as they seem to give thought to their viewers and what they want to watch.

I have never watched Top Gear so can't comment.

Does anyone what Waking the Dead? I know it finishes this week and wondered what people's opinions were. This series seemed fantastic taking it to another level of reality. It's a little like CSI crossed with Cold Case.

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I'm not sure when it was. I remember it was in California, testing some car around a circuit. They're all the same to me :lol:, it may have been some time ago as the husband often watches Top Gear reruns on UK Gold or whatever channel it is on. :rolleyes:

Other questions to answer: yes, I went on a French exchange with school when I was 13. It was terrifying, probably because I was rubbish at French. The family were nice though, and what I remember mostly was going to a tea shop to buy proper tea because they didn't have any in the house. The mother was asking me what kind of tea I wanted (so many choices) and I think I said 'normale' :lol:, yes, I am not great at languages. It was much better when she came back to England though, my exchange girl was actually quite sweet thinking about it.

When I was 19 I did go to America for 4 months to be a 'camp counsellor', I highly recommend it, it was fantastic, weird and scary all at the same time, partly because I was in charge of twenty 12 year old girls, some of them were quite evil, as 12 year olds can be I suppose. :)

I didn't see Waking the Dead last night, so I am recording it tonight. I love it, Trevor Eve is amazing. :)

7. Pixu

Pixu Witness

Most 12 year-olds are. And most 13 year-olds. Trust me, I live with one. We have some German exchange students here and I almost mistook them for French students *eek..that'd've been embarrassing...trying to talk french to german students...*

8. ryansnuttytart

ryansnuttytart Rookie

Trevor Eve is amazing as is Sue Johnson.

I've never been on an exchange. I know my school did them but I can't remember why I never took part.

Girls can just be evil full stop. I work with them most of the time (I'm a youth worker). The older they get, such as teenagers, the worse they become. The bullying is terrible. Then suddenly they grown out of it.

9. CraneFalconGCR

CraneFalconGCR Witness

Sue Johnson is an amazing actress and a wonderful person too.
    I love her in The Royle family the interaction with Jim and Nana is top-class entertainment and oh the last episode made me cry so much.

10. Pixu

Pixu Witness

I agree with you there. At my old school, it wasn't uncommon for there to be a 'bitch fight' every fortnight or so. I used to get bullied and most of that was due to girls. At my current school, I still find that girls are overly critical of each other. That's why most of my friends are guys.

11. ryansnuttytart

ryansnuttytart Rookie

Yep most of my friends through school were lads. Maybe it was the tom boy in me escaping. Now I have a nice mix.

Made a lovely English Victoria Sandwich at the weekend. Anyone what a piece?

12. KirstyW

KirstyW Dead on Arrival

Mmmmmm a slice of cake or cream scone would be lovely right now. Last time I tried to make a sponge it sunk in the middle resembling a large Yorkshire pudding :lol: still tasted good though.

13. ryansnuttytart

ryansnuttytart Rookie

I'm terrible at making cakes but give it a good go. Tastes nice enough. And my scones didn't work out either. Flat as anything.

So where is everyone from in the UK and what do you like about your town/city? I'm from Nottingham. I ove the shopping, having an arena on my doorstep and only living 5 minutes from town.

14. KirstyW

KirstyW Dead on Arrival

I was born in Nottingham (saw MUSE at the Ice Arena last Nov - great venue), but we moved to Chadderton, Lancashire when I was 2 where I lived until I was 18. I then moved to Bedfordshire for University and decided to stay down here, I now live in Wilstead a small village just South of Bedford. It's still a convienient distance for shopping, concerts etc (Milton Keynes, Cambridge, London) but allows me to escape the rat race...does mean I travel 80+ miles a day for work tho' (Rickmansworth/Watford).

15. Lvodkadiet

Lvodkadiet Rookie

Hello all, I live in Chelmsford, Essex. Its not a bad place to live, has its rough parts like anywhere but the shopping is quite good, there are loads of pubs and bars and only takes 30 mins to get into London. Plus V is held here which is our main claim to fame at the moment.

I never attempt to make cakes, I always fail dismally even tho I follow the recipe to the letter. I like eating them tho so will have a slice of that Victora Sandwich if you dont mind ryansnuttytart ta very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.