Forensics Questions

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Alyssa, Jan 1, 2002.

1. SpoonHead

SpoonHead Victim

Re: fibers/ washing the mouth

um...
    In season 2 , the stalker episode
    in that episode Greg found out that the woman had been strangled by putting the plastic bag in this kind of chemical (was it chemical?). Remember? The scene where the plstic bag showed the shades of a human face. Well I was wondering what chemical that was. How does it work?

2. agent_xxx

agent_xxx Victim

it was chemical found in the rock climbers finger powder.

3. EmeraldEyes06

EmeraldEyes06 Lab Technician

Hi guys!

I'm writing a scene for CSI: DuCaine, and I need a bit of help. What are the names of the solutions used to test for gun-shot residue? And do they always turn pink? Much appreciated, and thank you in advance.

4. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

If you are referring to gunsht residue on objects like clothing/doors/cars etc, then the solution that turns "pink" is Sodium Rhodiznate (it is actually supposed to turn purple after a second chemical is applied), and it is a test for lead.

If you'd like to know more, please be more specific about what types of gunshot redsidue you are talking about, there are about 5 different residues commonly tested for.

5. EmeraldEyes06

EmeraldEyes06 Lab Technician

That's great, perfect! Thank you! And I didn't know there were 5 types of GSR. Interesting... thanks again.

6. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

I had to to a report on ballistics for my physics/maths degree and we extended it to gunshot examination ...Just to tell you GSR's main components are usually lead and baryum. With baryum, the sodium rhodizonate will turn purple and with the lead it will turn pink. It's never such a superb pink colour like the one they show on tv

this is what the reaction looks like : (with lead only)
    [​IMG]

7. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

No. You are referring to cartridge primer residues being primarily lead and baryum. And these are the smallest trace components of GSR. The primary parts of GSR are partially burnt smokeless gunpowder, lead vapor, and carbonacious material.

Baryum doesn't react with sodium rhodiznate in any visible way. The pink reaction is with lead, the purple color is after the lead is treated with the sodium rhodiznate and turned pink, dilute (about 10%) hydrochloric acid will turn the color purple.

8. Oouga

Oouga Dead on Arrival

I know this was an older question, and you probably don't need an answer any more, but I had to jump in:

There was an episode in Las Vegas CSI where anaphylaxis killed a woman after eating shell fish, but they misdiagnosed her at first as heat stroke.

In the Miami one there was a nicotine poisoning that they were having trouble diagnosing because an anaphylaxis to pearls was involved as well as a bondage.

Maybe that doesn't answer your question any more, but it is a possibility of misdiagnosis due to many or varied circumstances. And even a silk scarf can leave marks on the skin after a strangulation... there are so very few things that could cause strangulation and not leave a mark because the neck is better protected than one may think, and manual strangulation almost always involves a breaking of the hyoid bone.

Sam

9. Oouga

Oouga Dead on Arrival

Okay, not quite a Forensics question, but a law one.

I was trying to research into Nevada Kidnapping Laws, as well as the Little Lindbergh Laws. I also needed information on Federal/ FBI involvement.

I found that in Nevada, if someone takes another person with the intent to seriously harm, it is a Felony 1st Degree kidnapping. However that's all I found.

I need to know if Nevada has or had a Little Lindbergh Law (a state law on kidnapping based on the Federal Kidnapping Act).

I also need to know if kidnapping a CSI would constitute kidnapping of a government worker, and if that in it's stead would constitute FBI or Federal intervention.

Please, anyone? I live in Vermont, and every time I try searching on the web, nine times out of ten I get immediately directly to Vermont laws, and have a heck of a problem finding the Nevada laws.

Thanks,
    Sam

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Okay, first post ever in the Forensics Forum :)

Here's my question: What is the difference between Trace and Toxicology?

I mean, I know the difference... more or less. But... what determines if a substance goes to the trace lab or toxicology? I'm not sure if I'm wording my question right... but you get the basic idea.

11. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

I'll attempt to answer the question lol. :lol:

Toxicology is the study of the effects of chemicals on living organisms, so toxicologists detect foreign chemicals in the body, like from blood samples, etc.
    Trace evidence is stuff like hair, paint, shoe impressions, tire impressions, explosives, gun shot residue, etc.

I think I got that right. :rolleyes:

12. CSIAleh

CSIAleh Witness

Yep, you're good =) You study forensics?

13. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

^ Not yet, but I'm going to uni in september to study it. :)

14. CSIAleh

CSIAleh Witness

That's great!! Rock on! Forensics is really a blast.

15. ThroughALens

ThroughALens Dead on Arrival

So I plan on going into something with forensics and im not sure how I should go into this. Any ideas? I'm still in high school but i want to know whats best to go about it, like courses, internships, etc? Please help, I want to be ready for college.