Forensics Questions

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Alyssa, Jan 1, 2002.

1. ElizabethBecka

ElizabethBecka Civilian

Re: fibers/ washing the mouth

I was the hair and fiber expert at my old job, and I agree that you probably couldn't guess the type of clothing article from a single fiber. Maybe if you had a small piece of the cloth, to see pattern and weave, you could make a guess. But it would just be a guess, not really anything you'd want to be defending in court, unless you actually found the article it came from.
    And I've been to a lot of autopsies and they don't wash the mouth specifically but they'd wash blood off the face. How much water got in the mouth would depend on how neatly the deiner likes to work!
    Sorry I'm way late with this, just catching up.

2. CSI_Wearden

CSI_Wearden Witness

I like your thread, Has alot of useful and interesting information ^_^

3. Skitz

Skitz Victim

yes, most probly, with precision.

4. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

No, many thanks, ElizabethBecka. I was just working on a writing exercise, writing a CSI episode. I know that sounds bizarre, but my dream job would not be what I'm doing right now. :) So, since I haven't even attempted scripted television writing in 9 years, I wanted to see if I could still do it. :) Thanks!

5. Skitz

Skitz Victim

the first question, wouldnt there be ligature marks around the neck area if stranglation had taken place? i dont know, just a guess.

6. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

most likely there'd be bruises, but with very soft fabric (like a silk scarf), and some other materials, you woumdn't see bruised. Also, for stranglation, you dont have to wrap something around him : put someones neck between two pieces of wood, and you'll strangle him without any ligature marks ( sorry for the compariso...but it's the most explicit I have!)

7. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

I have a question: How does evidence that possesses individual characteristics influence a criminal case differently from that having class characteristics?

8. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

When you have the same class characteristics you have circumstantial evidence linking the tested sample to the evidence left at the scene. There is no definite link, and depending on the type of class characteristics, it might be a very weak link. White or blue cotton fibers for example. These are basically EVERYWHERE, and the same class characteristics of that type don't tell you much. For a firearms example, if you had a 9mm Luger projectile with 6 lands and grooves, a right twist, and the land width about 1/2 the groove width, it wouldn't be a strong link. There are probably a hundred different manufacturers who have made firearms with those class characteristics.

On the other hand, when we have individual characteristics that match, the link is conclusive (as conclusive as forensic science can be). That particular firearm fired that specific projectile or casing. The evidence isn't circumstantial; it is specific to the crime scene.

9. Tinka

Tinka Civilian

hi guys i'm new to all this but just wanted to say that this thread is fantastic, it's really interesting and is much appreciated cheers tinka x

10. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

i have a question for chemists. i'm doing chemistry A level (english qualification before you go to uni, takes 2 years to get, when you are 17/18) and i am learning about indicators and phenolphthalein is one, now from watching csi i know that it tests for the presence of blood, so how does it do this? is it to do with the pH of blood? but if this is the case, then surely lots of other chemicals have the same pH as that? thanks

11. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

It doesn't have to do with pH, it has to do with the peroxidase reaction. Look up Kastle-Meyer test, or visit this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastle-Meyer_test

12. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

thanks so much, the show gives the appearance that only one thing is dropped onto the sample. now i understand!
    thank you! :D

13. Forensics_annie

Forensics_annie Witness

im still confused to how the tox comes to one decision and the actuall odtopsy comes to a different one.

14. Forensics_annie

Forensics_annie Witness

yes you are correct.

15. agent_xxx

agent_xxx Victim

I have a Question. I am a vigilante in the making. Now, i want to get information that will help me in my making. can i get help send my private messages. or anything.