Why Angell must GO

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by chemgeek, Feb 18, 2007.

1. detdonflackjr

detdonflackjr Rookie

^^ I agree.

Oh well..at least shes not in EVERY episode..if that was the case I don't even know if I would like the show as much seeing as last weeks episode drove me crazy. Guess I will just be thankful shes just a recurring character and look forward to the episode on the 28th which I might actually enjoy.

As far as her being a threat to D/L I could care less. The only couple I ship is Fiesta.

2. CSI_Ali

CSI_Ali CSI Level One

I may just be speaking for myself, but I don't think the 'anti-Lindsay' group like Angell because she could drive a wedge in between Danny and Lindsay. In fact,the general consensus in the love triangle thread and the Angell thread have said they'd rather not see Jennifer used merely as an obstacle for that pairing. I'd much rather them let her develop a character of her own than her sole purpose on the show reduced to being the third wheel of the high school drama.

Not that I ship D/L, or are actively against them either. It's not something that I particularly enjoy seeing, or feel it adds anything to the show, but it's really only a mild annoyance to me.

The thing I like about Angell is that she's a nice fresh character with a wealth of potential. The original CSI proved how big of an asset recurring characters can become, so much so that several of them made it into the main credits. It gives the show a new twist when they add a new character, changing things up and keeping it fresh, whilst at the same time we still have the familiarity of the main cast as well. I love that she's come in with no background besides the fact that she's just a newbie. It gives them so many opportunities of what they want to make her background like, and it's very rare we get to see anything through the eyes of a nwebie, especially on the detective side.

Also, (even though CSI isn't as bad as some shows at this, but still, it happens) there's a good chance she's in the background just enough that they won't make her a victim. As of right now, she's just a tough, snarky, empowering, slightly mysterious female cop, and I like that. :)

3. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

The general purpose of a "must go" thread, if we're working off the Lindsay one, was a discussion about why that character is weak and what could be done to remedy it. If your sole argument is that "Maka was better", then it's a bit of a waste. Give us some concrete reasons about why Angell is a waste of space and throw the whole thing over to discussion.

I don't think the fact she hasn't been developed is a problem - she's a new character, and a secondary one at that. Not every character can have Lindsay's nuclear screentime. (And bear in mind Lindsay is a MAIN character) Detectives don't usually get the development the CSIs do - Flack being the case in point. He's been there since the beginning, and we get details on him in small doses. Quite a lot of people like that, as it means we have to work a little to make a complete picture, by putting together the comments and reactions of the character, rather than being spoonfed.

I also find it a bit off that the sole reason people are disliking Angell (and Lindsay) is because of their interaction with Danny. I don't like Lindsay because she's a weak character, and I'd rather see them address that before they threw her into a relationship. Angell (as has been said in the triangle thread) should not be used as a wangst-prop within this relationship either, but be developed as a character on her own. As a secondary character though, I don't think there's any need for them to push her development through just yet, and she's interesting and sparky enough to shine when she's on screen.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Definitely don't think Angell should go! Emmanuelle Vaugier is a great actress, and she definitely brings something to the show. I'd like to see more of her, not less.

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I liked her from "People with Money," and so have a number of other members. ;) The thread was opened early on and then fell off of the page when she wasn't in episodes, and was then bumped back up when spoilers indicated that she'd be in upcoming shows. :)

Well, darling, you know that's not entirely true. ;) I'm with you on why I dislike Lindsay--Lindsay. The D/L stuff is one of many things that turns me off of the character.

I don't like Angell just because I dislike Lindsay--that makes no sense to me. I like Angell because Emmanuelle is a good actress, the character works well with the other cast members, and quite frankly I haven't seen any reason not to like her. :)

6. CathStokes

CathStokes Head of the Day Shift

I agree, she is a great actress and deserves her chance to shine on NY. She really does bring alot to the table and I hope she stays around!

7. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Well from what I have seen so far I cant make up my mind. I havent seen all the eps but so far she has yet to make an impact on me. But that doesn't mean I want her to go, I just need some more screen time to decide if I think she is an asset or not.

As for taking screen time from others, I just don't see that, Flack cant always be on both cases and she is no threat to Hawkes, she is a cop he is a CSI. I will wait and see how it goes.

8. fly_casual

fly_casual Witness

Angell is... well, I didn't take an instant dislike to her like I did to Peyton. She's had a few semi-funny lines with Hawkes and Danny. In my opinion, the more time she spends with Danny is the less time Lindsay will, so that's definitely in her favor. Other than that, she's just part of the scenery. I'll wait and see when/if she gets some character development.

9. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

count me in the pro-Angell group. The fact that her character isn't very well developed is no reason to get rid of her. It tkaes a while to develop a character and as she's only a recurring, it's unlikely any significant screen time will ever be devoted to her. Emanuelle Vaugier is gorgeous and does a good job with the limited material she gets. She's smart and has a good energy to her. I hope they keep her.

10. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Well, I'm not a fan of Lindsay but that has nothing to do with Angell. That's like the argument that people only dislike Lindsay because they liked Aiden. :rolleyes: I wasn't a DnA shipper, so not liking Lindsay had nothing to do with Aiden.

Sorry, but I liked Angell since People With Money. I liked her interactions with Danny and Hawkes. I thought she and Danny played well off of each other, but I wasn't shipping them. I still don't ship them. I ship Danny/Flack. :p I've also liked Angell in every episode she's been in.
    Me too!!! :D I like tough, female detectives. **thinks of Calleigh** :devil:

11. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

I'd definately in the pro-Angell group. I think she's a great addition to the show. She adds and awesome spunk. She's a nice femals addition along with Peyton. The show has too much testosterone in it with only Linds and Stella. I've liked angell since the beginning, and I think she's got great friendship chemistry with each cahracter she's been paired with or even talked to.

12. DL4Eva

DL4Eva Dead on Arrival

I hate the idea of DA instead of DL but I still like her own character.

13. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

^This has nothing to do with Angell as a character in her own right and sums up part of the problem with the introduction of poorly written romance into a show. It should not be about DA or DL, it should be about D, A, and if it must be L, all as entities with backgrounds and characterizations that are not inextricably linked to one another. A lack of independence and personality is best left in junior high school and possibly the shipper thread.

I cannot believe after six brief appearances a character, a secondary recurring character at that has been deemed offensive enough to want her removed from the show. I don’t know if that is desperation and fear I smell in the air or some genuine instantaneous dislike, a bit of both perhaps with the larger share belonging to the former.

Angell did not replace Maka. Kelly Hu was long gone from the set of CSI: NY before Angell made her first appearance so that particular argument lacks merit entirely and does not need to be addressed. I would point out that had Zuiker not told the audience in interviews that Lindsay had a dark secret the amount of character development for her, a main character, after 20 episodes was close to what Angell has gotten in six, I imagine that goes back to what the actor can do with the material they are given.

Angell seems intelligent, focused, serious, and determined to do her job. She certainly does not possess Flack’s snark, but she does possess a work ethic that the CSI’s respect and a history with them – something established from her first appearance. Emmanuelle is an excellent actor, she is able to convince viewers that she is what she says she is there is never a sense of being drawn out of the show by a poorly uttered line. There is no moment when the viewer is painfully aware that a script created these words and there is a bland person simply reading them without the benefit of emotion. She is seamless and I appreciate that. I appreciate that here may be a character that does not rely upon the popularity of another character or a deep dark secret to boost her up, here is not a character to act as a proxy for some of the viewers. I think we should applaud the addition of a strong, well-acted female character to the show, we haven’t been fortunate in that respect because only Stella is left standing and the writers seem intent on victimizing her in one way or another.

The idea that Angell is only popular because she represents a possible hitch in the Danny/Lindsay fauxmance is insulting though entirely possible since the nameless girl on the subway was the source of much hatred because she dared tangle with Danny, an apparently taken man to some viewers, so I imagine it is possible, because if such a juvenile display of emotion can exist in one direction then certainly it can exist in the other. I’ll say I haven’t seen much discussion supporting the idea of using Angell to put a stop to the D/L fauxmance most people in the forum that disagree with that pairing and its impact on the show have simply asked the writers to stop it.

I can’t see any change in the amount of screen time Flack has gotten since Angells’ arrival, I don’t feel I see him any more or any less than I did back in season one. Not to mention since you invoked the name of Maka wouldn’t she in theory have done the same to Flack’s screen time.

As far as Hawkes lack of screen time, well his absence could have been avoided had he been the only CSI added to the cast during the second season, an excellent argument for why Lindsay should never have joined the cast.

I can’t help but feel that were Angell a balding portly middle-aged man this thread would not exist or if she were a lesbian this thread would have never started. Here we go again . . .

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^Here, here! The idea that Angell took away from anyone's screen time is pretty absurd. She's not been on enough to impact any other character's screen time, and the character getting shafted in that department--Hawkes--has been getting shafted since long before Angell came on the scene. As JDonne did, I'd put that at Lindsay's door since so much time was wasted on trying to make her a palatable character (a downright impossibility at this point). If anything, Hawkes has gotten more development this season, not less.

I think Angell's introduction is more on par with how Adam and Hammerback were introduced--neither made a huge splash at the beginning, but rather were gradually built into compelling and interesting characters. I rather like how the writers do that with supporting characters--it's effective and gives the audience time to warm up to them.

15. Bluntforcetrauma

Bluntforcetrauma Witness

I dont think she takes screen time away from anyone, the most important thing is we see danny in that tight white t-shirt! I think all characters havea good role to play, after all who likes everyone they work with...pretty much no one so we have to have someone on the team who is 'dull' (Not that im calling Angell dull it was just an example)