UK Forensics Lecture Day. Open to Everyone.

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Tarragon, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

I received an invite last night from the Council for British Archaeology to their winter meeting. The topic this year is Archaeology and Forensics and it's open to anyone and free to attend so I thought I would post the details here for anyone who might be interested.

Date: 27th Feb 2007
    Venue: The British Academy, 10 Carlton House Terrace, London.

Lecture Schedule

11.30 - 12.30 Archaeology and the Crime Scene

14.00 - 14.45 Physical Anthropology - forensic identification, trauma and case studies.

14.45 - 15.30 Geophysics - divergence, human decay dynamics and case studies

16.00 - 16.45 Application of ecology, botany and palynology to criminal investigation.

If you'd like more information you can email the Council for British Archaeology at info@britarch.ac.uk :)

2. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

Considering I am an archaeologist, currently studying forensics, I would just about give my right arm to attend this. Sadly, I'm at the other end of the country. I'll have to see what I can do, but I'm not relishing the prospect of travelling to London on my own. :/

3. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

Well at least long distance train journeys allow you to get some decent kip. I live in London so my commute in will consist of being packed like a sardine onto a tube train.

Honestly though London isnt that bad. :) At least my reception for Channel 5 is a darn site better than some of my more suburban friends.

4. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

wow, is this literally anyone? im 17 and im studying my a levels at the mo, and im going to nottingham trent uni in september (unless anything goes horribly wrong!) to study forensic science. is this like for people already in the field, or like students or umm yeah?
    thanks

5. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

The exact blurb on the bottom of the invite says "The meeting is open to all"

I'm not a member of the CBA myself. I got the invite because I subscribe to Archaeology magazine. But if you're unsure drop them an email and check. I'm sure they won't mind students attending. At least I hope not because I'm one too. :)

6. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

We're looking into it, but according to the trains, I either have to miss the first lecture, or I'm looking at something like £190 in train fares. o_O

7. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

Yep. Rush hour train fares suck. :mad:

8. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Have you guys tried Megabus? I know no one's dream is to sit in a coach all day, but I did it many times when I was in England. My fiance and I grabbed the coach from Leicester to London all the time. Fairly cheap rates, and the buses aren't bad, either. Much cheaper than a train.

9. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

Alyssa - it takes hours on a bus though, from Newcastle! :eek: I'd have to be travelling Monday night to be there for Tuesday morning.

We're actually looking into flying down, and it looks like our flight will be something like 6.30am in order to catch that first lecture!

10. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Silencer: Ah! Didn't know where you were coming from! LOL! :) Well, I hope you guys have a blast. I'm jealous!

11. Callacrap

Callacrap Rookie

I'd love to go because forensic science is my chosen career path! But, I live in Manchester and it would take me a while to get there! I'll definately try though!

12. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

Because some people are planning to come from miles away I'm going to email the organisers tomorrow just to make 100% sure they are happy for non-members and students to turn up.

13. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

I have been in touch with the organisers this morning and they have confirmed for me that non-members and students are welcome. You dont have to book in advance, just turn up on the day. :)

14. Pixu

Pixu Witness

Awesome- is there a webpage or something I can show my mum? I need to persuade her that it's worth me taking the school day off for educational purposes, otherwise she'll just think I'm skiving off to London to shop! I'm not sure if the sixth form will allow me to take the day off, as I have (one of many) french mock essay exams to do on the 27th, but if I talk to my french teachers, they may let me do the essay mock another time (fingers crossed!). Yup, I'm babbling, so I'd better shut up now!

15. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

I've looked on their website but they dont have anything up there about it. Sorry. :(