What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

This is from the back:
    It was a freak accident. The man had suddenly stepped into the road, and the brakes had failed. Clare could only steer wildly, the car finally crashes into a tree and on to the kerb. Now her brother Rob was dead, silent in the passenger seat, slumped against the door. He died of massive head injuries. But there was something else, something that at first she couldn't quite grasp, that seemed inexplicable. His right arm was missing. Gone. Someone had taken it.

And then some other horrific things happen, when Clare tries to find out what had happened.

ROBERT BLOCH: Campbell has a talent for terror - he knows how to give you nightmares when you're still awake... Only a few writers can lay claim to such a level of consummate craftmanship. Superb. This is the chilling best.

STEPHEN KING: The climax is one of the most effective sequences in modern horror fiction.

Hope this gave you some idea.

2. MMForbiddenDonut

MMForbiddenDonut Witness

The Hobbit by Tolkien. Again. Such a great book.

3. Imperfect

Imperfect Police Officer

The voice on the radio~ Caroline Coony. really good.

4. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

I'm reading a book in French Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attende quelque part ("I wish someone were waiting for me somewhere") by Anna Gavalda.
    It's a collection of 12 short stories.

5. Fingerprints

Fingerprints Police Officer

Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe...part of the Josephine B. trilogy by Sandra Gulland...all about the wife of Napoleon Bonaparte and the French Revolution, actually very good so far.

6. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

Conspiracy Game, by Christine Feehan.

7. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

I'm going to start in A friend of the family by Lisa Jewell.. I have little knowledge of what it would be about, but I like surprises :p

8. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

'Elsewhere' by Gabrielle Zevin. I thought the idea was good but it felt like the author was rushing it at the end; the style it was written in was quite different so it drew me in. I recommend it for anyone looking for a good read and doesn't mind reading about matter of life, death and love. :)

Next book... 'The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose' by Mary Hooper. My cousin bought me both of these books and I thank her gratefully.

9. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

I just finished reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It was really good. I would definetly reccommend it for anyone who doesn't have anything to read.

Now I'm starting on Looking For Alaska for about the fifth time.

10. gream_reaper

gream_reaper Police Officer

I'm reading a book that is more like a school requirment. I'm reading Dr. Jose Rizal's "Noli Me Tangere" or "Huwag mo aking hawakan" or "Touch me not".

11. Nirvana

Nirvana CSI Level One

I just started reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. I'm going to read all of the Hannibal Lecter books. Then maybe i will be brave and watch the movies. :lol:

12. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I want to read the rest of the Hannibal Lecter sereis, so far I've only read Silence of the Lambs. Sadly it'll be a while before I'm even needing to get something new to read.

Right now I'm reading Death of a Salesman for English class. I think this is the worst thing we've read all year, but I've oly read the first act so I'm hoping it gets a little better in the second and third acts. Over this vacation we have to finish it, so it's going to be sometime before I get something to read for my personal read.

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

why do they always make students read horrible books? everything i read was old and dull, then when they gave us a new book it was so sad and depressing. as if highschoolers need that :rolleyes: :lol: although when they made us read brave new world it was so bizarre i was always laughing, so it wasnt as bad.

what am i reading? papers on xeroderma pigmentosum and base excision repair. that counts for this thread right? :p

14. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Allmaple, funny you should mention Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Right now I'm reading that and Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. I finished A Million Little Pieces by James Frey a couple of nights ago - I didn't find that the fact a lot of it was made up took away from it at all.

15. allmaple

allmaple Judge

isnt it one weird book? i think i would have liked it better if i wasnt forced to read it and write an essay on it. there was another one i read in high school, one i got to pick, that was actually pretty interesting. it was called geek love, but again being forced to write an essay about it i didnt enjoy reading it as much as i should have.

right now since most of my reading is scientific journals when i get the chance to actually read a book i stick to lighter girly books. i have one waiting for when im done my paper called 'passion betrayal and killer highlights' which is a murder mystery but sounds really fun. should be a nice break from what im reading now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.