Tea and Scones ~ english thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Guest, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedleishot

speedleishot Rookie

ill be suprised if one of them doesnt end up in hospital and drops out because of a serious injury
    i did actually go ice skating today, i was quite of myself, i went for 2 1/2 hours and didnt fall over once :D

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I said in the beginning that this better cover others as well (meaning welsh 'n stuff :p )

3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yes, I see that you did. But before suggesting that, you asked if there was free alcohol in here or you would go back to the Dutch thread. Talk about priorities! :lol: ;)

*passes Finlandia, but only because you are over 18* :p

Just out of interest, are there any Northern Irish folk here? I've not seen any around but I'm thinking there must be some? :confused:

4. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

My dad comes from Portrush in CO. Antrim; when my family isn't in our hectic schedule of drinking tea, eating scones and quoting philosophers in Oxford, (<--don't live there but most non-british people are of the idea we're all like Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) we occasionally go over there to visit my grandma and my 25+ 'first' cousins. :lol:

5. ryansnuttytart

ryansnuttytart Rookie

I love scones with jam and clotted cream. Proper clotted cream not the fake stuff. But I'd skip the butter. Nice and warm and melting and *dashes to the shop*

I've been watching the skating. It's not bad. Better than last years.

6. Astrid

Astrid Rookie

Giles from Buffy hahahahaa
    I wish there were more of him around! Love Anthony Head (huge Buffy fan)

I haven't had a proper scone in ages and now with all the scone talk I'm very much craving one. ;)

Ice skating wise I can only imagine it won't be long til someone gets very hurt. They keep pushing them and pushing them.

7. Pixu

Pixu Witness

My youth group went ice-skating last weekend. I was meant to join them but my insomnia made a come-back so I had no energy to skate. I used to sit out a lot because I had no balance and crashed every 5 minutes. I'm ok now, but my Dad hates ice-skating! He does this sort of shuffle-walk along the edge of the rink, clinging for dear life on the rails, bless him! XD Dancing on Ice is great to watch but I am concerned about the total number of injuries occurring during this series- maybe the show's jinxed? I loved the last series with John Barrowman..."Vote for me and I'll show you EXACTLY what's in David Seaman's lunchbox. "

8. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I love ice skating. I've only ever been once but I really enjoyed myself. Besides getting a massive blister. I wanted to go this year in Picadilly Gardens but they'd packed it all away before I really knew about it. Hopefully they'll bring it back next year.

Anybody watch the Brits last night? I was ill last night so I was curled up on the sofa. Glad Take That won whatever they won. A bit annoyed that Snow Patrol didn't win anything though.

9. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

:p :lol:
    Well the important things first... I need to know where I go, there is possibility to get some alcoholic liquids :D

10. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

^Well you will be OK here then. Actually they are just about to open a vodka bar in York, with over 100 different vodkas apparantly! Sounds dangerous to me, but I'm sure I'll end up in there at some point. :)

As for ice skating, for the past couple of years they have opened one of those outdoor rinks in York for the winter, but I'm not sure it was ever that popular, plus it kept going wrong. We went for a meal in Leeds last Saturday and walked past the one they have in Millennium Square, it's huge and was absolutely packed with people, looked like fun but there was a massive queue as well so we didn't bother having a go. Apparantly it is the largest temporary outdoor rink in Europe! Yay us! :lol:

11. ryansnuttytart

ryansnuttytart Rookie

I'm planning on making scones at the weekend. All this talk as made me need them. I have to get the craving out of the way.

Didn't watch the Brits. Haven't for years. Predictable that Take That would win. It just seems to boring now. That said I wished I'd watch the Scissor Sisters opening the show.

I just can not ice skate. I have this constant fear that I will fall over. I'm one of those people that just holds on to the side the whole time and gets round once. You'd think being a youth worker it would be easy but nope.

12. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

i just have to comment about the brits. Warning i am going to rant.

The Brit awards are shown in other countries, so we should be representing our country at this event as best we can, right? But instead, most people that were awarded a brit, especially the english bands, were drunk, they made a fool of themselves, and just made me cringe. As for Oasis, i thought the 'singer guy' (can't be bothered to look up his name), not the one who visited the queen :), is a complete idiot, was it necessary to say "since we won't be winning anything else, i suppose this will have to do" (sorry i prob miss quoted) being picked for the biggest award of the night, he should have been grateful and kept his comments to himself. Ok, glad i got that off my chest! Sorry apologies if i offended anyone. :)

Right now on to top gear the other night. :mad: Another rant is coming, you have been warned ;) I used to really love Top Gear, and in this recent ep they went to america, for those who didn't see it, and it seemed as though the main purpose of the whole show that night was to send hate to america. :( I truly didn't think that the BBC would ever show such a controversial and hateful episode, and i have told them this ;). Okay here is what they did, they took old american cars accross america, intending on finishing in New Orleans. Along the way they were set challenges, one of the challenges was to write in paint on each others cars. One car had "country and western is rubbish", another had "Hilary for president" (in Alabama btw) and the other "Man love rules ok" Then they proceeded to get abuse from the locals, it's no wonder really. I'm fine with them saying that that area is too touchy,etc, but they generalised and at the end of the episode, with a lot more things taken out of context obviously, they said "don't go to america" The thing is that in some parts of England you would get exactly the same reaction if you wrote offensive things, yet they make out that all Americans are like that, and IMO it's racism. I hate to think how many Americans they have offended, and in turn it reflects on our country. :(
    I plan to move to America one day, and i would hope to be welcomed, and not expected to be a racist. After all they brought us CSI! :p (among other things!)

Sorry i apologise, i have now finished all my ranting, feel so much better now! Feel free to think i'm crazy, kind of am! I tend to go off on one occasionally, but I think it's better than internalising all my anger (or so therapists say ;) )

*steps off soap box*

On to more happy thoughts! :D I love ice skating, used to go really regularly to an ice rink in coventry, but kind of fizzled out :( Once i got flattened by this 6ft big guy, and then next thing i know, i'm being lifted off the ice by this hot guy, and all these other ice angels all around me! Turns out they were like first aid guys. It was so amazingly cool :cool: Never forget that! :lol:

Anyone watch Bones and ER last night? I love those programmes :)

13. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I've not watched it for years either. I was going to watch it this year when I heard Johnny Depp was going to give Oasis their award, but then he cancelled so I didn't bother watching it. :lol:

Also, I'm really not a fan of Russell Brand. :(

14. Pixu

Pixu Witness

Same here. I watched about five minutes of the Brits with my family, then decided I'd had enough of the foul-mouthed one :p

15. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

I watched the Brits too; almost made me feel ashamed to be British.... There were apparently lots of complaints made to OFCOM about Brand's comments, I myself didn't find them very funny either. All the british artists were smashed with alcohol and all the other artists looked on embarassed. :(

I absolutely adore ice-skating; A couple of years ago I was apart of a summer programme where we would take part in ice-skating everyday so when I went to Amiens in France ( last year's Valentine's Day and was on an exchange) we went ice skating again, all the english students kept falling over, so there I was constantly helping them up and showing them how to do it. All my experiences with ice have proven themselves useful and it's the only sport that I'm truly okay with :lol:.

Have any of you brits ever been on an exchange? They seem to do them all the time in America but how it's all done seems different (if you watch all those sorts of movies).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.