Liev/Keppler Thread #1

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by GrissomsFetalPig, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Re: Keppler

I couldn't stand him, and I NEVER compared him to Grissom, there was NO comparsion.. that's an insult to WP!!! who's charismatic..charming and so handsome & an fantastic actor, and this guy wasn't!!so one dementional, that's like comparing night and day.. he's was dull..boring.. mumbled, and had NO personailty what-so-ever & was funny looking he was snaky..sneaky..sinister..creepy and weird, with NO DEPTH, we already have a character like that on CSI..Ecklie :mad: in my opinion!!! YUCK.. every scene he was in was YAWN-YAWN, I could hardly get through it!!! and I didn't understand the concept of featuring a 4 appearance chacater being in the forefront..and the story in the last ep. with his background, so run of the mill, we've had incest. and I had no interest in his father-in-law, I'd rather see one of our CSI's background, so he took away from that as well (to me} if he had of been a recurring character, and helped our guys, I could understand that, but such a short time, and having to delve into his history ..didn't get that!!!it was annoying, the worst "guest" ever on CSI.. I was bored out of my mind.. and yelled YIPEE, when he was shot.. not meaning to be cruel, I'm sure the actor Liev, is a nice man, he did seem gentle, just did not fit in on this exciting show :(and I'm not alone here, I recieved an e-mail from a friend, who said almost the exact thing I just said!!! as well as other fan-sties where the reports were almost all negative.. and saying "thank goodness he's gone" sad, but true!!! & on any chemistry he had with the cast, he was cold, remote and seemed disinterested & disconnected, in any thing they were doing, & they were mis-trustful and suspicious of him.. espceially Nick.. and with Cath, she's hot to trot with almost any guy who crosses her path, but to me, he didn't reciprocate in any way, shape or form, except to say "I'm sorry" when he was dying!! This is the first time in 7 years I didn't tape any of the eps. he was in :( bye-bye and good luck ;)

2. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Keppler?? Who can love that creep!! Reminds me too much of that other snake charmer, Rick Culpepper, if you know what I mean!

3. MMForbiddenDonut

MMForbiddenDonut Witness

I did not mind his character too much. I felt terrible when his character died though. It seemed like such a waste in bringing him on.

4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Hey Everyone!

Please Note that I have edited the first post and added in the actors name to go along with the characters name so that both could be discussed and I also added in the following for everyone to remember. "Please remember both sides of an opinion is allowed, it's how you handle it that matters."

If Pictures are going to be posted then I will also edit and post those rules to if I have to. If you don't know the rules for pictures see the "Help Guide" tacked at the top of this forum.

Thank you!

5. pandi

pandi Witness

at first i totally hated keppler just because he wasn't grissom, but i really had starting to like him in law of gravity. oh, well.

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i think people went in with preconceived notions of keppler and refused to change them. i think saying 'i hate him, hes no grissom' is kind of pointless. he wasnt trying to be grissom, he was his own person.
    keppler was interesting, he was a mystery and a puzzle. id say he was more interesting than the regulars have become recently. he wasnt just a crime solving machine, there was emotion and intrigue there. you always knew there was something up, something he was hiding. leiv played him perfectly.
    usually when i watch csi im doing other things too, just because i have no time. ill do laundry, school work, studying etc. but for kepplers episodes they had my full attention.
    i will agree the incest thing with his dead girlfriend was a little much. csi seems to think incest is a very common occurrance. they could have had frank convince keppler someone had murdered amy. thats my only complaint with kepplers episodes.

7. pabzi

pabzi CSI Level Three

I made a terrible mistake with Keppler. Month ago, when it was said that they were brining in someone when Gris was away, I decided that I'm not going to like him. Why? I don't know. I usually don't do that...But I did it, and it was a terrible mistake.
    I couldn't quite identify what I felt toward him till he died. Then I realized that I was just starting to like him.

I think that he was an extremel strong character. I like the dark ones. A past that follows him, that's totally my type. I'm still screaming internally at myself for putting an X on him in the first place. There is alot to learn from him. At first I was upset because his methods were different than Cath's, but then I realized that that's what makes HIM different than the others.

I liked Nick's scenes with him in LOG. The interraction between them in that ep was cute (the suit comment was the best.)

I don't agree. IMO, they don't shove incest down our throats. It is the kind of thing that needs to be touched upon once in a while, because as rare as it is it does happen, and its evil. I think that it fit nicely into the plot. His dreams were freaky and interesting.

All in all, I'm sad that he's gone.

Does anyone think that his name will appear again (As in Cath talking about him or something)...or is he allready ancient history?

8. edog

edog Lab Technician

I agree with you allmaple. Lots of fans went into this thinking Keppler was going to replace Grissom. Even after it was made clear Keppler was on night shift just to get used to the lab, NOT to replace Grissom, some fans still wouldn't budge. In the end, IMHO, it was more about keeping their stance then allowing their preconcieved notions to bend just a little bit. I thought it was fairly clear what the Keppler character was for and how he was going to be used in this series. He was never the replacement for Grissom to me.

Keppler did something for CSI that the other characters couldn't do or we hope would never do. He was the tragic character. He was seemingly doomed from the beginning, it was just a matter of 'when'. While Sara, Nick and/or Catherine (for example) have their own tragic-ness to them, they are not as easily expendable as the Keppler character. With Keppler we could watch the struggle, see the triumph and watch the fall. Hell, I enjoyed it. I think in the end, most other fans did too. It was different. It would be difficult to pull off again, so I hope CSI won't try to do this again in the future.

Keppler was unique. It was refreshing and I'll be eager for the DVD set once this season is over so I can have those episodes in my collection.

9. oceanbirch

oceanbirch CSI Level Two

I think Liev did a terrific job in his short stint as Keppler. I hated how he went out, too sad.

10. Forensics_annie

Forensics_annie Witness

i agree with you 100% i didnt like keppler at all. i thought he was a bsd person to represent the csi lv.

11. edog

edog Lab Technician

I'm not a mod, but let's try to keep the thread title the same so we don't get yelled at for it. ;)

As for Keppler being in the forefront? It was understood how long this character was going to be around. IMHO, we saw just enough to understand Kepplers motivations, but probably not enough to really understand him. It's not easy introducing a new character, spitting out his backstory, then killing him off in only 4 episodes.

Like I said before, Keppler was the tragic character and the writers had the privledge of doing something they could never do with all the regulars. I think they had fun writing Keppler and I enjoyed watching him.

12. spasticfangirl

spasticfangirl Hit and Run

That's a good shipping name. I like it.

I really liked Keppler, Schreiber did a very good job playing him, and I would have liked if he would have been able to appear occasionally as a guest character.

I started to tear up at the end of that episode, you could see how much Catherine cared for him when she almost completely broke down crying.
    *sniffle* :(

13. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

At first the Thread was just called "Keppler" they aren't changing the name of it on purpose, then I went in as stated above and edited so that it reads as the title of this post does. As long as it doesn't get changed from either of these two then its fine, though it can be confusing, So IF folks would try and keep with the current name it would be appreciated. :)
    Which is why we have "Shipper Central" for these discussions. ;)

14. edog

edog Lab Technician

I was just thinking, for the probable CSI Season 7 box set, that it would be cool if Liev did some audio commentary for any of his episodes.

I would assume it's very rare that a recurring/guest actor lends to the audio commentary. If they ever decided to do that, I'd love for it to be Liev. :D

15. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I have to say of all the guest stars (ok with a few exceptions like Faye Dunaway) he was the best

Kepplers character added something ,like has been said before, and he shook things up

you weren't quite sure of his motives, which people seem to like on tv these days, he wasn't the 'good guy' but he wasn't totally evil either which makes for a complex charcter
    and Liev is also a phenomenal actor so that makes it even better
    and CSI is a show that is changing, it's not focusing so much on the science,the crimes and the techniques
    the producers said that last summer
    and bringing in a complex and troubled character such as Keppler on CSI showed what GREAT TV can be
    I don't think his character would have worked on any other show
    what does everyone else think?