The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meandmac

meandmac Rookie

Re: The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread

RIP Anna. hope she finds the peace and love she deserves

2. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Alejandro Finisterre,inventor of the table football.

Alejandro Campos Ramírez (1919-2007) (known as Alexandre de Fisterra and Alejandro Finisterre) was a poet, inventor (of table football among other things) and editor.He was born in Fisterra (Galicia,Spain) in 1919.
    Finisterre was injured by the fascist bombings of Madrid during the Spanish civil war. In the hospital he saw many children injured and unable to play football. This was his inspiration for foosball, which was born from the concept of table tennis. Alejandro credits his friend Francisco Javier Altuna, a Basque carpenter, for making the first foosball game following Finisterre's directions. Although the invention was patented in 1937, Finisterre had to escape to France from the fascist coup d'etat, and he lost the patent papers in a storm.
    After he invented foosball he fled Spain to Latin America. His leftish ideology, however, would lead him to problems in Guatemala, where he was kidnapped when Carlos Castillo Armas took over the country, and he was sent by airplane to Madrid. During that flight Alejandro threatened the pilot by telling him that he had explosives (one of the first aircraft hijackings).
    Later in Mexico, he became an editor.
    He died in Zamora (Spain)in February 9, 2007.(Wikipedia).

3. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

None of us live in glass houses, Laetri, so we shouldn't be throwing rocks at others' lifestyles. Also, it's common courtesy to not say anything at all if you can't say anything nice. This isn't the thread for that type of behavior.

RIP Anna Nicole. May you now find the peace that eluded you here on Earth. :(

4. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Of course everyone is entitle to their opinion, but let's move past this, as this particular thread is not a place to have this type of discussion. This thread serves better as being a thread of notice and condolences. :)

5. Laetri

Laetri CSI Level One

I really want to say something but Tink says this conversation is over. Bah I hate being right and not able to argue my point, escpecially if I can't get teh last word in. fine i'll stop but I wont like it.

I don't know if this thread is strictly for "stars" but i'd like to call remembrace to someone none of you have probably ever met. A year ago we lost one of our funkiest little people, we miss you muchos Shrimpy! Pita chips!

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Inventor of the TV Remote Dies
    Feb 16, 4:45 PM (ET)
    By SHANNON DININNY

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - Hit the mute button for a moment of silence: The co-inventor of the TV remote has died.

Robert Adler, who won an Emmy Award along with fellow engineer Eugene Polley for the device that made couch potatoship possible, died Thursday of heart failure at a Boise nursing home at 93, Zenith Electronics Corp. said Friday.

In his six-decade career with Zenith, Adler was a prolific inventor, earning more than 180 U.S. patents. He was best known for his 1956 Zenith Space Command remote control, which helped make TV a truly sedentary pastime.

The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences awarded Adler and co-inventor Polley, another Zenith engineer, an Emmy in 1997 for the landmark invention.

Adler joined Zenith's research division in 1941 after earning a doctorate in physics from the University of Vienna. He retired as research vice president in 1979, and served as a technical consultant until 1999, when Zenith merged with LG Electronics Inc.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office published his most recent patent application, for advances in touch screen technology, on Feb. 1.

Adler is survived by his wife, Ingrid.

7. Missing

Missing Pathologist

Couch Potatoes everywhere are mourning. RIP. It truely is a great invention and also the most lost/misplaced invention.

8. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I agree

his invention changed the way people watch tv forever

RIP

9. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Rest in peace Robert. :(

10. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

RIP Anna & Robert

11. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

RIP Anna. I was in instant shock. I couldn't believe. I flipped on the 5 o'clock news, i always watch it cause CSI is on at 6 and it kills time. and they were like "and Anna Nicole Smith has passed away".

i was like weerd. haha no i was just in shock.

but i feel so bad for her poor baby, all the paternity issues surronding the poor baby. i wish it was DNA comparison was as fast as it is in CSI.

12. Dynamo1

Voice of Ernie the Keebler Elf dead at 81
    by Los Angeles Times

LOS ANGELES -- Walker Edmiston, an early Los Angeles television kiddie-show host and puppeteer who had a long career as a versatile voice-over artist whose credits include several of Sid and Marty Krofft's live-action children's TV series in the '60s and '70s, has died. He was 81.

Edmiston, who voiced Ernie, the Keebler Elf, in recent years, died of complications from cancer Feb. 15 at his home in the Woodland Hills section of the city, said his daughter, Erin Edmiston.

Early on during his nearly six-decade acting career, Edmiston became the replacement voice for Walter Lantz's animated character Wally Walrus, and for a time he did incidental voices and puppetry on the award-winning "Time for Beany'' children's show in the early '50s.

Edmiston also hosted his own local children's program on local channels in the '50s and early '60s, "The Walker Edmiston Show.'' The afternoon show featured puppets that Edmiston designed and made.

For the Kroffts in the late 1960s and '70s, Edmiston did numerous voices, including Dr. Blinkey and Orson the Vulture on "H.R. Pufnstuf,'' Sparky the Firefly on "Bugaloos,'' Enik on "Land of the Lost'' and Sigmund Oooze -- and Sigmund's brothers Blurp and Slurp -- on "Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.''

"Walker was one of the most talented voice people in town,'' said producer Marty Krofft. "He had such a tremendous voice range and, especially for the Krofft shows, he could do everything.''

During the '50s, Edmiston played the character of Fester on a record spoof of the hit TV western "Gunsmoke'' called "Mr. Grillon.'' He reprised his spoof of Dennis Weaver's Chester character on a "Gunsmoke''-spoofing episode of TV's "Maverick'' called "Gun-Shy.''

In the wake of Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev's 1959 visit to the United States, Edmiston also recorded the novelty tune "I Dreamt I Saw Khrushchev (In a Pink Cadillac).'' (He did half the record in the voice of Barky the Dog and half as Khrushchev.)

Edmiston, who began imitating Lionel Barrymore and other movie celebrities as a child to entertain his family while growing up in the 1930s, could do impressions of everyone from Red Skelton to Lawrence Welk.

Actor Will Ryan said Edmiston's versatility was exemplified on "Adventures in Odyssey,'' a radio series set in a small town produced by the nonprofit Focus on the Family. He had been with the show, which is in its 19th year, since the first episode.

"He played the nicest guy in town named Tom Riley,'' said Ryan, a fellow cast member, adding that when "a really sleazy character'' was added to the show several years after the start, "Walker did that character as well.

''It was fun because sometimes there'd be a page or two of dialogue between the two of them."

As an actor, Edmiston also appeared frequently in episodes of shows such as ''Gunsmoke," ''The Big Valley," ''Mission: Impossible," ''Batman," ''The Dukes of Hazzard" and ''Knots Landing."

Edmiston's daughter, his sole survivor, said he continued working until ''he got really sick this past January."

Evelyn, Edmiston's wife of 48 years, died in 1998. His other daughter, Andria, died in 1987.

13. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

RIP Walker Edmiston.

14. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

RIP Walker Edmiston and Robert Adler. We'll never forget your contributions to our world. Thank you.

15. Dynamo1

Winemaker Ernest Gallo Dies at Age 97
    By MICHELLE LOCKE
    Associated Press Writer
    March 6, 2007 - 11:14 p.m.

BERKELEY, Calif. — Ernest Gallo, who parlayed $5,900 and a wine recipe from a public library into the world's largest winemaking empire, died Tuesday at his home in Modesto. He was 97. "He passed away peacefully this afternoon surrounded by his family," said Susan Hensley, vice president of public relations for E.&J. Gallo Winery.

Gallo, who would have been 98 on March 18, was born near Modesto, a then-sleepy San Joaquin Valley town about 80 miles east of San Francisco. He and his late brother and business partner, Julio, grew up working in the vineyard owned by their immigrant father who came to America from Italy's famed winemaking region of Piedmont.

They founded the E.&J. Gallo Winery in 1933, at the end of Prohibition, when they were still mourning the murder-suicide deaths of their parents.

Using $5,900 they borrowed and a recipe from the Modesto Public Library, Ernest and Julio rented a ramshackle building, and everybody in the family pitched in to make ordinary wine for 50 cents a gallon — half the going price. The Gallos made $30,000 the first year.

"They started with virtually zero knowledge, they started with an idea and a drive that created the family empire that still exists and dominates today," said Peter Mondavi Jr., co-proprietor of Charles Krug Winery and a member of another influential winemaking family.

It grew to become the world's largest wine company by volume, a title since taken by Constellation Brands of New York. But Gallo remains second, selling an estimated 75 million cases under more than 40 labels.

"My brother Julio and I worked to improve the quality of wines from California and to put fine wine on American dinner tables at a price people could afford," Mr. Gallo told The Modesto Bee on his 90th birthday. "We also worked to improve the reputation of California wines here and overseas."

Ernest directed sales, devised marketing strategies and kept a short leash on distribution. Julio, who died in 1993, made the wine.

Gallo was no less tough on the people who worked for him as on those he battled for business. He also demanded total loyalty from his employees. In 1986, when he learned that two longtime Gallo executives were secretly planning to buy a winery of their own, he fired them on the spot.

Gallo was a courtly man with Old World manners. But in business he was tenacious, shrewd, aggressive, and secretive. He and others of the Gallo clan shunned publicity. The reason for the secretiveness, many of their former associates said, was the way his parents had died.

Fresno County records say their father, Joseph, shot their mother, Susie, to death in June 1933, then killed himself. That was two months before the founding of the Gallo winery.

Ernest Gallo was one of the country's wealthiest men, listed on the Forbes magazine list of the 400 richest Americans with a family worth of $1.3 billion.

His company employs more than 4,600 people and markets its wines in more than 90 countries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.