CBS Plans To Create CSI Spin-Off For Cell Phones

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Sep 27, 2005.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

According to <font color=yellow>Larry Kramer</font>, president of CBS Digital Media, the Eye network is planning to create a new CSI spin-off.

But unlike the three CSI shows currently on the air, this brand new hybrid would only air on the web and through cell phones. It's the latest trend in video programming: shows developed solely for broadcast over the internet and mobile devices. "We're creating a short-form program for the Web and wireless of C.S.I. and offering online multiple endings to shows," Kramer announced.

Other networks have already gotten on the cell phone video programming bandwagon. Fox, for example, has developed several multiple one-minute versions of its hit show 24. The creation of these mini-shows comes with the hope that as many people as possible will tune in to their original versions, Kramer said. "You'll see more and more becoming available on the Web, mostly in cases where networks are convinced it supports and helps the show."

To test the possible demand for these programs, Nokia and the British broadcasters O2 and Arqiva have teamed up to offer 400 British clients a 6-month trial of mobile programming. Episodes of some television shows, such as EastEnders, Coronation Street, CSI and Lost will be available for these clients through their cell phones. Customers will also be able to select programmers from an on-screen service guide, search for specific items, and even set their handset to alert them when a show starts.

So far, the mini-version of CSI has only been discussed by the network, meaning no launch date has been set. CBS, however, hopes to have a great variety of cell phone programs available to the public soon. "We'll have talk shows and blogs with CBS stars. We'll be giving information similar to what you'd get on a DVD," Kramer said.

Visit Market Watch.com to read the original article and learn more about mobile video programming.<center></center>

2. RBC

RBC Coroner

Sounds good, but we'll see what new articles about it will be put on csifiles coz it's a long way to it, I think.

3. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

I don't know if I'd watch it on my cell, For me to connect to the internet it's like 50 cents a minute

4. GoodLittle Wench

GoodLittle Wench Coroner

Yeah, it is kind of expensive for me to do the web thing on my phone. Not to mention the waste of minutes. I can't see myself doing it.

5. Kaye

Kaye Pathologist

I don't have a cell phone, so...

And I've never even heard of this type of stuff till now! Either I'm very sheltered, or it's very new.

6. Hollis

Hollis CSI Level Two

I've never heard of it until now, too. And I don't have a cell either, but I'm only a kid. :) And watching these kinds of things must cost something... I don't think I would watch on my cell, however tempting CSI may sound.

7. RBC

RBC Coroner

But didn't it say it could be watched on the net too?

8. Synergy

Synergy Lab Technician

Even if this was available for Malaysians...my phone can't setup GPRS, so I can't even connect to the internet. And yeah, it would be mucho expensive.

9. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Man, I'm a technological idiot because I have no idea what they're talking about here... :eek:

10. CSIgal

CSIgal Captain

I don't think that will go over quite so well. I've got the right kind of cell phone but I'd much rather not waste minutes and internet connection charges and just watch CSI on my own television with a much bigger screen than a cell phone. But that's just me.