Why Lindsay Must Go

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by JDonne, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^There was no emotion in that scene--it felt like it always does with Lindsay--very scripted, and Anna's just reading the lines. She clearly hasn't connected with Lindsay at all, and doesn't even seem to be trying anymore. Watching her try to cry convincing in "Silent Night" was laughable. That scene with Mac and Stella was just empty, when it should have been fraught with emotion. The storyline about her dead friends might have been really compelling, but Anna just isn't selling it.

2. gypsy

gypsy Police Officer

Oh give her a break. There are people out there who actually like here. :p

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

And there are people out there who actually don't like her. I'm all for discussion and a good old-fashioned debate--I don't know about you, but 'oh, give her a break' doesn't get the cogs in my brain working. It kind of just makes me roll my eyes.

That scene with Mac and Stella was...I don't know, it just felt like they were telling me what I already figured out--which they were. There would have had to be a surprise twist or something like that to get me to raise an eyebrow, but the delivery should have sold the scene anyway. I just...it didn't feel like an emotionally-revealing 'I'm telling you something that I'd hoped never to have to say' moment. For someone who kept her past locked up tight, Lindsay didn't seem to be too reluctant to come right out and talk about it in that scene. And I may not be a professional actress, but even I can pull up some real tears about a fake storyline. Seriously, I can. And I'm not trying to convince anyone.

Ultimately, that scene didn't do anything for me. I knew that Lindsay was leaving for several episodes, and I was waiting for something to make it seem like a big deal, something to stick with me other than, 'er, yeah, I figured that's what it was...'

I'm not sure that I'm totally gung-ho in the 'why Lindsay must go' part of the discussion, but I'm definitely part of the 'what in the hell is up with Lindsay?' camp. Really, she's been here for a year and a half, and I can say a whole lot more about what doesn't make sense than about what does. For most of the other characters, I can speculate endlessly--with Lindsay, that would require having some idea of who the character is. I still don't think I know that for sure, much though I've tried.

4. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

As a Lindsay fan, I don't think Anna's acting is the greatest ever, and I'll admit that without feeling ashamed or anything. She pulls it off, sometimes barely, bt she pulls it off. I think this season hasn't been her best, but the woman was pregnant, it's got to be hard to work like that- even if it is small scenes. I'm sure other actresses that have been pregnant might've thrown out a better preformance than that, but I think she was doing her best. It probably didn't help that she isn't top of the heap as an actress either.

We don't really know that much about Lindsay, yet they're throwing tons of info at us like we're supposed to understand it all. We don't really have as much information about any other character, and it seems kind of weird to build Lindsay up so "early" in her career on Ny when there's other characters who we should've been given information about long before her. It doesn't really make that much sense to me why we're getting all this information about Lindsay, when her personality changes each episode. Honestly, one eppy she's light-hearted and funny, and the next she's sulky and very half-in-it.

5. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

Just how many of these upcoming episodes are going to be "Lindsay-less"? I wonder how people are going to feel about these episodes? The reactions on both sides of the debate could be interesting.

I was chatting with a friend of mine the other day, and we wondered why was it in Manhattan Manhunt Lindsay would complain about being sent back to the lab when she was at a crime scene that almost mirrored her past experience. One theory we developed was that maybe Lindsay felt that she was being "babied" by Mac and felt she could handle the situation. My belief was that the writers didn't come up with Lindsay's "secret" until after this episode already aired.

At the risk of repeating what has been said before, it really feels like the writers were making up Lindsay's story as they went along. Hopefully by now we're finally finished and we can move on to some of the other characters like Hawkes for example, or Flack.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Methinks I've been spending too much time on the fanficrants LJ community, because I have the urge to give you wordcakes. :p So yeah, um, word to you, then, because I agree with that. ;) (Oh, and this is off-topic, but I'm sure that you're "waiting for 7/21" because a certain novel is going to come out. ;))

Um, like three. One can only hope certain underutilized characters will get a bit more screentime in these episodes.

Your point about the "Manhattan Manhunt" incident is one of the things that makes Lindsay's story seem so half-ass. I can understand her being affected now because the guy was caught, etc, but I would think she'd still be affected by the sight of a bunch of dead teenagers in "MM." They probably had a general idea for her past but hadn't specifically decided on the 'group of dead teens' part of it until later on.

7. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

yes I'm waiting for a certain novel. ;)

Also about MM. That was kind of odd to me as well. After I found out what the deal was, it kind of came as a shock to me about why that case didn't bug her. I've thrown excuses out there before (she thought she was good then, blah, blah, blah) but that's bad on the writers. If this was the path they were going to take, they should've had her get crazy at that crime scene rather than the one in "Silent Night". To me I think it seems more appropriate if she had left the MM scene.

8. fly_casual

fly_casual Witness

Just to throw out an idea... now that Lindsay actually is leaving (hooray!:D) for a few episodes, do you think they can improve her character when she gets back? I know, I don't want her to come back at all, but it seems like Anna is here to stay. If we can't get rid of her, there's gotta be some way she can be a little more likeable. IMO, they can't undo the damage from before, but the writers have a golden opportunity for some explainable character change because of the trial.

9. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I have to agree with you here. The opportunity is there, it's just up to them now to actually do something with it, which hopefully won't be the I'm-100%-healed-with-no-memories/consequences-of-this-trauma because that would royally suck.

Explore her character a little bit, tell us who she is, where she comes from beside what happened to her and Danny, focus on her light side which seemed to work well at the beginning of S2. There's a lot that can be done. *crosses finges*

10. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

I have a feeling that they won't bother changing her at all, and she's going to come back and we're going to have to put up with more of the drippy Danny/Lindsay "love" story. Having just sat and watched series three up to the most recent episode, it's actually way better than series two, mainly because Lindsay has been pushed into the background to hide Anna's pregnancy. It's been lovely to see Adam and Hawkes get more airtime. And GODS, Peyton is amazing. I love her. I'm not usually taken with female characters, but she does it for me. In one episode she had me.

But I'm past hoping Lindsay can be saved now. I can't bear Anna's acting. Watching her try to cry is like having my internal organs removed with a spoon - excruciatingly painful, lasts far too long and I'm left with permanent scarring.

11. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

:lol: Yes! You've perfectly captured the agonizing experience of watching Anna try to act.

Seeing the episode last night drove home just how useless and unnecessary Lindsay is to the team. What did we miss? The sullen scrunching of her face? The silly drama with Danny that distracts from the cases and takes away from the character development? Her stilted delivery of lines?

The show, and the team, are better off without her.

12. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I have to admit I totally didn't miss her last night. The episode was good and the other characters delivered such a strong, solid performance that I didn't even realize she was missing. ;)

13. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

I'll be honest and say that I totally forgot she was even gone. It never once crossed my mind and now thinking back on it, without Lindsay, the episode wasn't bogged down with unnecessary drama that'll pull a viewer out of an episode like a slap across the face. I felt the team was back to its glory days of being a cohesive unit, and all the actors were able to bounce off one another without a stilted performance.

Now granted, I was paying more attention to Hawkes being a walking encyclopedia, Mac awkwardly finding his footing with Reed, and wanting to have Flack's babies after that interrogation scene :p, but I hardly missed Lindsay. She, like others have echoed, is a distraction and detriment to the show. They have other more seasoned and superior actors who consistently deliver a strong and far more entertaining performance.

14. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

I didn't miss her either. Not once. I was busy enjoying the little character moments and NO FLIRTING. It was awesome just to see them behave like the little family that they are - Adam teasing Danny, and opening up to him and Stella with the info about his father is a perfect example. These are the little things that make this show special - not the over-the-top stuff we get shoved up our noses.

15. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Can I jump in this boat and say that I didn't miss her either? What a refreshing episode. Hawkes and Adam had more screentime, which I think is great. They didn't need to hire Lindsay. Why the need for another female character? Does it really matter?

I'm just dreading when she comes back and she's yet again Danny's shadow. Is there a law somewhere that says they have to work together in every single episode? :rolleyes:

Her absence just goes to prove how useless her character is. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.