Catherine's Serial Killer

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by ladyhunter, Feb 4, 2007.

1. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Catherine’s serial killer

A/N this is a collaborative effort and an entirely different aspect of Catherine

Enjoy

It wasn’t the dark.

Even though it was the kind of dark that nothing could penetrate. The type that turned all the blacker the more you tried to squint and focus. The one that turned you upside down and tumbled you with confusion as you lost your bearings. This was the dark that swirled around, rose up and laughed as you tripped and stumbled, hands out trying to feel your way like a drunk. The one that suffocated you in its murky depths.

But it wasn’t the dark.

Even as a kid, she had never really been that afraid of the dark.

It wasn’t the cold either.

She could handle the cold. Truth be told, this wasn’t the kind of bone chilling, aching cold she expected from the desert at night. Must be global warming she thought grimly as she curled a little tighter into a ball more to relieve her discomfort than to chase away a chill.

The thing that was setting her teeth on edge, allowing just the corner of despair to start to enter her mind was the deafening quiet; the pure absence of sound. As much as she strained to hear, as much as she steadied herself and held her breath waiting for the faintest of sound, there was nothing. It was almost too much to bear.

How could she get a sense of where she was, figure out road marks, get indicators of to where to leave clues? How could she bring the team to her if she couldn’t give them pieces of the puzzle to follow?

In absence of her other senses, sound was the only way for her start collecting the evidence she so desperately needed to start working the case.

She willed herself to breath, told herself to calm down. This is a crime scene, start looking at the facts. Start bringing the elements together. You know the end, now start at the beginning. She began to think back allowing her mind to rewind to the place where this nefarious journey began as the silence echoed in her ears like a gunshot….

………………………………………………………………………………………………

BANG!

Her ears rang with the shot

Damn, I must have put the ear protection on too fast and not secured them properly.

Rookie mistake
    , she thought.

And Catherine was not prone to making mistakes; rookie or otherwise.

What was with her today?

Oh come on, she knew what was with her.

Her shift had started out normal enough; a new case with new crime scene. But, instead of the officer she expected to find at the scene, it was Brass.

Not as if that way anything out of the ordinary, but she didn’t realize how much she was looking forward to seeing him until he wasn’t there to meet her and fill in the preliminary details in his usual subdued, almost soft way. Their brief conversations and interactions had come to mean more to her than she had realized.

And later, back at the lab when she casually inquired about him, it was a bombshell to hear Brass say that he had transferred out last week. She absorbed the information like she absorbed a particular gruesome detail from a scene, with detachment and professionalism. At least that is how she reacted on the outside, on the inside she swallowed down the bitter taste of another opportunity lost.

Only Grissom noticed the subtle change in her face as the three of them walked down the hallway summing up the details of the scene and parsing out information.

“You OK, Catherine?” asked Grissom studying her face with a little more intensity than usual.

“Oh, sure, just had a rough evening with Lindsey before coming to work. Teenagers, what do you do?” Catherine steadied her gaze to look back at him hoping he wouldn’t see anything and delve any deeper.

“What do you do?” Grissom echoed after a slight pause and walked away.

Man, thought Catherine as she entered the lab. It’s not like I’m loosing anything. What did we have? A professional relationship? A mutual respect for one another? A friendship? Well if you call banter over the blood splatter from a triple homicide a friendship then sure, we had a friendship.

But there was something else that made Catherine think that she and Tony Vartann might have the potential for something more.

The way he turned to her when she spoke, like he could absorb everything about her through her words. The way his hand found the small of her back to guide her through the doorway while entering an interrogation room. The looks he gave her when they were on a particular hard case; scanning her movements looking for any small cracks in her Teflon armor. They had been on one date, after shift, but nothing had progressed from there. They had been like two planets in the same solar system. Revolving around the same sun, but never truly coming together.

“HMM…. What is this?” Catherine looked at the case file on her desk.

Why isn’t this Grissom’s case? She thought to herself

Catherine scans the file…

White female RAPED … November 23. 2003
    African-American female STRANGLED … December 15. 2003
    MINOR White Female, RAPED, STANGLED… January 15. 2004

They all have the same MO. Thought Catherine

She continued to study the file…

Detective: Tony Vartann

He’s the same officer in all three cases. Why do I have this?

Catherine makes her way down the hall towards Grissom’s office.

“Hey Gil, got a minute?” she asked barging through his office door

“So, what’s up Catherine?” Grissom said focusing on his red haired friend sitting across from him.

“Why do I have this?” She asked holding up the file. “All of these cases are a couple years old, you were the CSI on the case, and Vartann transferred out last week.”

“Because he might be back.” Sighed Grissom. “Remember the Strip Strangler?” The Blue Paint Killer?” “Well, this guy is just as good.” Remarked Grissom.

“I really don’t like it when they are smarter than me…” Grissom’s voice trailed off.

“So, you still haven’t answered my question, why me?” Catherine questioned

“I… I can’t do it again.” Grissom breathed. “I can’t put myself out there, I can’t risk it all thinking he might get away again.”
    His voice is quiet and faint.

“So, you think I can?” Catherine shot at him.

“You don’t have as much vested in this as I did.” “You can do this Catherine.” “Nicky and Warrick are that much better now.” “They will help you anyway they can.”

“Here is the current case, she was found in the alley behind Bally’s and Paris.”
    Grissom hands her the file folder.

Catherine shudders suddenly. Something came over her. A feeling she couldn’t shake.
    A feeling that not just about the case but about something else in her life is going to change.

This is my job. I love my job. I am good at my job. So why do I have this ‘feeling?’

Catherine goes back to studying the new case on her way back to her office.

Maybe I need to contact Vartann? She thought as a smile comes to her face.

“Not like that would be a bad thing?” She caught herself saying out loud.

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Interesting start, post more soon!

3. milkyway

milkyway Victim

Good job!
    I thought she was thinking about Keppler LOL

4. ButterFlied92

ButterFlied92 Lab Technician

Hmmm, interesting indeed. Can't wait to see more!

5. ilvelvegrissom

ilvelvegrissom Hit and Run

I'm liking it so far! Can't wait for more!!
    :) XxxxxX

6. butterflylove206

butterflylove206 Prime Suspect

hummm, Im more YoBling but whatever, the only one Im commited to is GSR

7. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Nice start to the story, Heather. Interesting to see that Gil can't handle the serials anymore. Screwed up one too many times, has he? Funny how nobody else has realized that on the show even.
    Looking forward to more

8. CSIangel17

CSIangel17 Pathologist

Great story so far Heather :D
    Yeay Cath/Vartann :) And love the Gil/Cath interaction.
    Please update soon!

9. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Thanks everyone

Glad you guys like it :D

10. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

Oh I love the intro sentence, its really good. :) Can't wait till Vartann comes back.

11. CSIMarg

CSIMarg Witness

Interesting Heather........ :) I would love to see who this serial killer is exactly * :eek:

12. MissCriminalMind

MissCriminalMind Witness

yay! i like Vartann and Cath, they're a really nice couple!
    Update soon plz!!:]

13. GGgirl1

GGgirl1 Pathologist

hh, you are MEAN! Leaving us hanging like that... You better come up with the rest soon or I'll pick up my pitchfork! :devil:

14. CSINicole

CSINicole Police Officer

OMFG!!!!hurry, hurry finsh the dang story...or i'll cry.

15. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

Same here!!! except that i wo'nt cry but pitch you with my HUGE mod fork (trust me it hurts :D )

Update soon please!!!