Musicals-Who else?

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by CSISidle, Jan 15, 2007.

1. CSISidle

CSISidle Rookie

Haha, I had EVERYTHING (Lyrics, costumes, even blocking) memorized, its kind of funny

a bunch of my friends where in Joseph...They Love it!

2. labgeekluvr

labgeekluvr Lab Technician

[quote
    Ok if I wanted to be Gertie Cummings than do you think that "If Momma was married" from Gypsy is a good choice?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I'm posting this too late to be helpful--it's been a long time since I've seen Gypsy, so I'm not too familiar with that song. For Gertie any song would work, because she really doesn't sing in the show. For Ado Annie, if you're not familiar with "Oklahoma" you could probably sing something from "Annie Get Your Gun", or if you're sticking with Gypsy, maybe "Everything's Coming Up Roses"--pick a fun song that could be seen as a show-stealer (in other words, if choosing between a belt and a ballad, choose a belt). If you were auditioning for Laurie I'd say go for a ballad, because she's the romantic lead. But for Ado Annie, pick a belt, and for Gertie anything's good.

Another thought, if you're familiar with other Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals (Sound of Music, South Pacific, King and I--most of the classics), those might be good choices. Sometimes directors like to hear either a song from the show or in the same style as the show you're auditioning for.

3. CSISidle

CSISidle Rookie

OMG Thank you SOO much! that helps a LOT! :) :) :)

4. labgeekluvr

labgeekluvr Lab Technician

No problem--break a leg (that's theater-talk for "good luck") :)

5. CSISidle

CSISidle Rookie

The theater that I preform @, everyone says like "Dislocate a shoulder" or "BLow up you appendix". any other kind of body dismemberment BUT break a leg! :)

6. screamingpoet

screamingpoet CSI Level One

Technically, The Phantom of the Opera is an opera. Not a musical. But...anyway. I really love Rent, and the movie is a personal favorite of mine. I'm also a big fan of Wicked, both the musical and the book itself. Gregory Maguire is a personal hero of mine.

7. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Musicals huh?

I have only seen two that can be classified as musicals, though one is more of an opera than anything else:
    Les Miserables
    Phantom of the Opera

Les Mis is by far my favorite, the plot is great, and I still cry every time the little boy gets shot! I saw that one twice, and hate to see it end, but it was a really great play. Phantom of the Opera was great too, though it was hard to see from where I was sitting lol.

Another one I've seen was Beauty and the Best, which I'm not sure can count as a musical, but our school does musicals, and that's the play we're doing this year (yeah, I'm a bar wench, how cool am I? I get to molest Gaston HAHA Okay so I only get to touch him...) But that one was my first play, and that was really good as well. I wish I could go see it again, I was little, so I can't remember it all.

8. Moriel21

Moriel21 Judge

Musicals?! I LOVE musicals, they rock!! Some of my favs...Phantom of the Opera, Beauty and the Beast is awesome too....Wicked is a new fav of mine...love the original Broadway cast recording of that one! But my all-time favorite muscial since I was like 12 is "Sunset Boulevard"....all hail Andrew Lloyd Webber, the man is a brilliant genius! :lol:

9. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I've not seen the musical, but I've seen the film and I really enjoyed it. :D

The only musical I've seen is Jason and his Technicolor dream coat. :lol:

10. CSISidle

CSISidle Rookie

SCreamingpoet-I LOVE Rent! Like I am WAY too addicted! :p

Wyoming-I absolutly die when Eponine dies. *TEARTEARTEAR*

Phantom is really good but I think the stage version is better than the movie...just my opinion.

11. Azza4Speed

Azza4Speed Police Officer

I'm pretty sure it is a musical... Phantom has speaking in it, and is in english: Opera's are almost never in english and have no speaking (The Magic Flute had some, but still). Broadway, also, doesn't put on Operas.

Hah, I do too. Can't go past a man in a mask :D

12. CSISidle

CSISidle Rookie

I need HELP REALLY BAD!

Mmk so heres my sitiation...I have an audition in a few days for Les miserables. I REALLY want the part of Eponine but I really don't know wha to sing! I am deciding between "Better" and "Our Finest Dreams" from little Women. PLEASE HELP ME PICK!!! oh, I also need a monolouge...:(

13. Boa_Vista_Fan

Boa_Vista_Fan Rookie

Musicals. Broadway. New York City. <33.

My favorite musical of all-time has to be Les Miserables. The storyline is great, the characters are wonderful, and the music is absolutely brilliant. (I saw the revival a couple of months ago and it was incredible. Really small changes from the "old show," but still as amazing as ever. And now Lea Salonga's in it, so I definitely have to go back.) But, yeah. Best musical of all-time, hands down. LOVE it.

I absolutely adore RENT, too. It'll always have a special place in my heart.</end sappy-speak>

Honorable mentions go to (in alphabetical order): A Chorus Line, Carousel, My Fair Lady, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, The Light in the Piazza, The Pirates of Penzance, and The Sound of Music.

I'd really like to see Jersey Boys.

And what about Spring Awakening? A few friends of mine went and said it was great, but it sounds so... "eh" to me. Did any of you go see it? Did you like it?

14. Nienna Berylla

Nienna Berylla CSI Level Two

Im going to see the Musical Tarzan pretty soon and i am looking forward to see it. Even when i dont like the story that much, i like to see it in a musical version..

15. Egad

Egad Victim

I'm a big fan too -- I like um, Wicked, Thoroughly Modern Millie (film & show, they're both ridiculous and amazing, haha!), The Drowsy Chaperone, The Producers, Hairspray, Avenue Q, Gypsy, Rocky Horror... the list is pretty endless! -- I enjoy RENT but I really need to be in the mood for it, sometimes the old jangly guitars don't do much for me, haha.