Mac #3: Slim Macky & The Taylor Girls

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by CathStokes, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

So how about an actual discusion about Mac, we dont seem to talk about how the character is doing these days.

On the spoiler thread they brought up a comment about Mac's hypocricy as a character regarding getting emotionaly involved in a case. I wont do into details re season 3 as some people want to remain spoiler free. But I think it would be safe to comment on season 1 and 2 eps.

Do you see him that way?

2. mj0621

mj0621 Pathologist

*pulls macky away from two* you two argue over there while we over here snuggle him... :D

hypocrite? mac? not really...

3. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Why.....what do you think....come on guys some discussion guys.

Some fans think he is not adhearing to the standards he sets for the other CSI's, whats your take. Come on I know there is intelegent life out there somewhere. Where have you all gone, I wanna talk about Mac and how he is developing as a character.

My take on it, and I have posted a comment on the spoiler thread, I think Mac truly believes in the science should lead the case. But when it comes down to it he can get as emotionaly caught up in the case as anyone else. But he can separate the two.

With Hawkes this season, I think his blow out at Hawkes over the subway party girl was more centered on the fact that Mac was anoyed that Hawkes didnt tell him, that he had to hear it from Peyton. I think it was more a case of he was upset that Hawkes didnt trust him. Also I felt Mac was right Hawkes should have mentioned the fact he knew the victim even if it was only for a few minutes. Also with Flack and his note book I feel Mac was trying to keep everything above board an keep Flack in the clear although I dont think Flack saw it that way.

What do you guys think.

4. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I think it will all depend on how Mac handles the situation, really. If Mac tries to recuse himself and can't, or if he acknowledges that he is going against his own rules, then one could make a case that he did the best he could. If he blows off everyone's concerns and misgivings and kid-gloves Reed, then he's a raging hypocrite, and what little respect I have for him would go down the beamus.

5. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

See the thing you have to remember here is the fact that the writers have basicaly screwed with every character on the show so far. They set up a set of points then dissregard them when it suits. They have done this on all three shows.

They have messed with Mac's character on a few points, Hawkes and Flack this season for instance. But he was still right to call out Hawkes (Doing it in front of the lab was a mistake, but as I commented on the spoiler thread I think was due to the fact that I feel he was upset that Hawkes didnt trust him enough to tell him, he had to find out third hand.) And as far as Flack goes, Mac was by the book. Flack didnt like it then tough, but to me he was ensuring that Flack was seen to be free and clear and above the book.

With the case with the boy (not seen the ep so not sure of the facts) I can see why Flack was mad, Mac did seem to throw aside his own rule here. (Will be able to comment better once I have seen it as season 3 starts her in 2 weeks.)

I dont see Mac as a hypocrite I see him as human with faults. He has high standards for his team he knows what breaking those standards will do to a criminal case. The writers screw with that ideal, and in doing that they need to address it in some way, as in the conflict with Flack over the boy and his father. To me messing with Mac's ideals is being done because Reed is on the scene. With Reed in the picture Mac has a new frame of reference. Mac now has a tangeble connection to Claire, if this is threatened in any way to me Mac is going to crack. As would anyone in the same situation.

People complain about Mac being Superman, but then he steps out of line into the human world and they complain even more.

Me personaly if I was a victim and needed help I would want Mac working the case.

6. RanMa

RanMa CSI Level Two

Great points, fruitbat.

I think Mac has the tendency to bend the rules when it suits his purposes. The writers have been inconsistent (yeah, I blame it all on them :devil: ) But, putting that aside, I think it just shows that Mac is just as human as the rest of us (I still scratch my head when I read posts that say he's a robot) The biggest problem for me is that nobody calls him on it when he does skew his own rules (except for Flack & Hawkes this season).

I still remember his words to Stella back in S1 in that Daniela case --- "use your head, not your heart" and though he tries to follow his own rule, tries to be as unemotionally involved as he can, cracks still seep in. Which just makes him more fascinating to me.

Eh, I didn't really contribute to the discussion :lol: But yeah, I'm very excited to see the Reed ep.

7. shaofu

shaofu Hit and Run

It seems to me that Season 3 is creating a lot of different challenges for Mac. He is in a relationship, he discovers his stepson and is dealing with the various personal problems of his staff. The writers *may* have been inconsistent with the character development but I'm not so sure. Season 1 we get the repressed, detached Mac who keeps his emotions firmly under wraps. As ranma pointed out, he tells Stella to "use her head not her heart" and this is his mantra during Season 1 and into Season 2. The cracks are starting to show by the end of Season 2 and we see some heartfelt emotion in RSRD with Danny and COTP with Flack.

I think People With Money rather begged the question of when his relationship with Peyton started - the back story that they had been together for about a year doesn't really gel - if it was supposed to happen over the summer after COTP, that would have been more believable. From the glimpses of the relationship we've seen, Mac is still not handling his feelings well but perhaps the fact that he is in a relationship has allowed them to surface a little more. We are seeing a much more human side to the man and, if he is flying in the face of his previous strictures about not being emotional, doesn't it make him more likeable, more sympathetic and more human?

8. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

I agree, it is nice to see a more human side of him, just some people dont seem to like it but you cant please everyone..*g*.

I am loving the development (what I have seen and read of it) of his character this season. Last season I felt the shift in personality was a bit sudden between the end of season 1 and the start of season 2. This seems much more natural, even with the Peyton issues..i.e. how long have they been going out.

I like the introduction of Reed and Peyton, its been a nice touch and it has allowed Gary to do some very powerfull emotional scenes.

And the opening ep the NO SHIRT scene....man he looks good *DROOL* :devil: :devil: :devil:

9. CathStokes

CathStokes Head of the Day Shift

Opening scene shirtless, :devil:

First my jaw dropped, then I drooled, and drooled, and then I whacked Melly for looking at him :D

10. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

And then I whacked you back and told you MINE! Hands OFF! :p nah nah

I drooled too but wanted to kick Peyton out of there at the same time lol

11. athens

athens Coroner

oh,he does!.. :lol: ;)

I agree that Peyton and maybe Reed would give us the opportunity to see a more human Mac who is not all business.. :)

12. CathStokes

CathStokes Head of the Day Shift

You wished, Melly!

I think the storyline would be good for Mac, and for Mac moments.

13. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

No you wished lol. *thwaps you* He was keeping me company while I was trying not to make him sick. I'm better today but something didn't agree with me :( (lol or maybe he was telling me it was revenge for making him food-sick in that one RPG of Wyoming's rofl The symptoms are really similar. *jots down notes for fics in several ships and the characters run and hide*)

14. RanMa

RanMa CSI Level Two

How sweet was Mac when he gave Lindsey a hug? Awww. Hmm, so far, he's hugged Danny (who was blubbering in RSRD) & now Lindsey. I thought Lindsey looked like she didn't know what he was going to do, heh heh, and wasn't expecting that overture.

Also, for some reason, I thought he looked extra sexy in that scene where he was walking in the hallway and Danny calls him in. I dunno how many times I rewatched that :lol:

15. feenx

feenx Coroner

For some reason Mac hasn’t gotten my attention these past few episodes I don’t know why :confused:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.