Vegetarian thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by quoth_the_raven, Jan 23, 2007.

1. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i suggest you look elsewhere then just peta ;) the things they show you are the minority of cases. id hazard a guess and say that more companion animals suffer abuse and mistreatment than those in the food industry. does peta harrass pet owners? eta through some research, apparently they do :lol:

peta also isnt innocent, they commit many of the actions they protest again. they chain themselves to animal shelters to protest euthenasia, but when they take in stray animals they put down more than they adopt out. they fire bomb research facilities but the vice president of peta is diabetic and takes insulin. i dont blame her, diabetes is a horrible way to die. but ill leave those issues to the animal testing thread if anyone is interested.

back to animal welfare, you should look at peer reviewed scientific publications. those papers are put up against high levels of scrutiny and you will get facts free of bias and propaganda. unlike the info you get from peta

2. sienna

sienna Lab Technician

that's not what i mean ... i just think that animals are beings they live on this world just like we do and i don't think that we have the right to kill torture and eat them!!

[/QUOTE]

acutally i wasn't on the american peta site i was on the german one. and we in austria get a lot of german products. i'm not sure but i think that we have a very good market for milk products because they usually come from our country often from small farms. but if you go into the supermarket you can see that they sell the meat from all around europe and you can never be sure what's up with that stuff!!

[/QUOTE]

thank you for the information ! i'll look that up! i'm really just starting my research and i was not planning to base my presentation what i find on the peta :)

3. Lauw

Lauw Police Officer

Not the right to eat them? We've been doing it for hundreds, thousands of years! It's called nature's way.

I don't know if you ever watch something like Animal Planet, but animals are cruel too. I was watching a docu on cheeta's the other day; a cheeta mom was teaching her kids to hunt. You know what she did? She chased an impala baby, broke his leg and let her kids finish the job. I bet he was still alive when they started to eat.

4. sienna

sienna Lab Technician

yap i know .. i thought about that too .. why should we stop now we did it all the time and humans are omnivores ... i'm really searching for an answer for that!! and especially for my presentation i have to look at pros and cons ;)

yeah but animals have to do that to survive!! they can't go to a restaurant and order an vegetable plate or something ...

5. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Yeah - that's why I always read the packages where the stuff is produced. For example I don't buy or eat Euroshopper cheese because it's Danish. Lidl for example sells stuff with their own brands but there are products that I know are Finnish. My fave cheese is made by company that Arla (Swedish giant milk products company) bought and now I've been thinking should I switch to other cheese. It's still made in Finland but sold to Swedes.

Rainbow and Pirkka are here two other productfamilies that you need to read where those are made in.

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

try millions ;) not Homo sapiens (because weve only exist for about 200 000 years), but our ancestors made the switch about 4 million years ago. the protein in meat they scavanged allowed them to survive while other bipedal apes perished, their brains grew larger and they became smarter.

7. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

Okay, somedays I think I might go attack my roommate. I was sitting there eating something, and she started telling me all these stories some guy told her about meat and animals and it actually made me not eat for like, 6 hours. And now I cannot eat meat, so I decided I'm gonna attempt to not eat meat for a whole month, and if I can do it without like craving meat I might stick with it, but if I'm like constantly wanting meat I won't. I'm actually kinda curious to find out how this is going to turn out.

8. helgagrim

helgagrim Dead on Arrival

I'm a vegetarian. :cool:

9. helgagrim

helgagrim Dead on Arrival

And today we don't need meat to survive. It's not a matter of survival for us anymore. There's allot of other types of food we can eat.

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

whats your point? i dont need to eat rice or red peppers to live, but i enjoy it. i just pointed out were here because we became omnivores, but i dont eat meat because i think i wont survive if i dont. i like it and it is good for you, but you can be healthy without it too.

11. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Like sienna said, it's the way animals live in the wild. Millions of years ago we did the same thing, but we are smarter than animals and have a civilized (for the most part ;)) society with order and rules. We go to restaurants and choose what we eat. You can order a vegetarian platter. Animals have to eat other animals because plants in the wild aren't enough for them. We don't live in the wild. We have a choice.

Health issues have been a topic of discussion here and the products vegetarians can eat all have significant amounts of protein and drastic differences in the amount of fat. Soy products and tofu are loaded with protein, so there's another source of protein. That was a big issue for my family when I chose to become a vegetarian because they were afraid I wasn't going to get enough protein. I still get the protein I need, just from different sources.

12. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Millions of years ago we were strictly vegetarians, eating mainly root vegetables and berries. Only by expanding our diet to meat did we survive, physically change to our modern appearance, and increase our IQ.

By 'our' and 'we' I mean the Homo Habilis, thought to be our earliest ancestors.

13. Lauw

Lauw Police Officer

Okay, let me get this straight: You say we shouldn't eat meat because there are other ways to get the same proteins and stuff. We don't have to eat it to survive, right?

Well, shouldn't we all just stop eating chocolate, cookies, chips and drinking soda and beer and whatever, because we don't need it?

14. sienna

sienna Lab Technician

well .. actually exactly those things you named are those things we shouldn't eat because they are not very healthy ... i mean i eat them too but i try not to ... not good for my figure either ...

15. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^But I think there was talk about stuff we shouldn't eat because we can live without it ;)