The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. CraneFalconGCR

CraneFalconGCR Witness

I think Beckham has made the right choice, yes he is being paid an extraordinary amount of money but how often was he playing for Real Madrid? Capello has said he wont play him again and I doubt the other top European teams would ensure he had regular first team football which Becks craves. Whilst he has openly stated that he would nver return to the Premiership unless it was Man U so all in all I think his move to the MLS isn't that big a deal. His family will be well looked after, he can fufill all his sponsorship deals, his academy is over there and I think he will try to lure other European players over there. After all other players have gone there in the past, George Best anyone?

2. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Due to internet problems yesterday, I couldn't respond, but Sunday's result definitely made the Premiership more exciting. The last 10 minutes of the Arsenal v Man Utd game were unbelievable! The Gunners just didn't give up and Man Utd did seem to take their foot off the peddle rather. I still think Man Utd will take the title though. ;)

Without John Terry, Chelsea look all at sea. Liverpool really took advantage of their weakened defence very effectively. Man U and Arsenal still have to go to Anfield, so there may yet be a twist in the tail. Man Utd also have to go to Chelsea. I'm glad no team is running away with it. :)

...and Reading still have to play Liverpool at home! :eek: I will have to hope for a draw. ;)

3. Footyliz

Footyliz Coroner

Ha, I had a great day..lads in my first teaching class are all Chelsea fans, so I out all the work up on the board and stuck some 2-0 signs in amongst it, plus the odd Pennant and Kuyt notice, was so funny, then I made them stay in their seats and copy from the board :lol:

Don't get very many chances to get one over on them, was very sweet ;)

4. CraneFalconGCR

CraneFalconGCR Witness

The weekend's "clash of the titans" as it was billed on TV definitly opened up the Premiership and has really made it more exciting, I mean it was boring watching Chelsea buy their way to the title last year.

I dont know why Chelsea are moaning tbh just because they lost John Terry they should have cover after all Mourinho was the one who said he has cover in every position. Maybe this shows that the players they have bought are ones Abramovich wanted and not Mourinho.

5. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

I was just reading the article on Arsenal vrs Bolton and came across a funny thing. :p

Nolan struck in the 50th minute when he collected Kevin Davies' cross-cum-shot and clipped the ball into the corner.

Now, Im not a football expert but what the HELL is that? Anyone feel like explaining to me? :p It's not my fault I keep thinking of something else... :rolleyes:

6. speedleishot

speedleishot Rookie

kevin davies crossed the ball to nolan who kicked it into the corner of the net, i think thats right anyway

7. Footyliz

Footyliz Coroner

It means that Kevin Davies kinda shot for goal but it may also have been a cross instead, so it kinda looked like both, but could have been either a cross or a shot and Kevin Nolan knocked it in anyway...that is a pretty common phrase for a commentary when they aren't entirely sure what the striker intends :rolleyes:

As for the FA cup, West Brom are still in incredible! It gives me someone to cheer for since Liverpool were pityful, the baggies are my home team, come on boys!

8. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Oh dear. Reading have been drawn away to Man Utd in the FA Cup! Not a good draw. When we were in the lower leagues, we never got drawn against the big teams. Now we're in the Premiership, and playing the big teams on a weekly basis anyway, we suddenly get Liverpool in the League Cup and Man Utd in the FA Cup. I reckon it's a conspiracy! ;)

9. Footyliz

Footyliz Coroner

Oh yeah and did you see Chelsea's easy draw it is actually a conspiracy, I'm convinced :rolleyes:

10. Still_RIP_Speed

Still_RIP_Speed Police Officer

I would say so too....ridiculous!!!But you gotta to love the FA Cup...the magic can be back...hope to see it again soon....but I think for the true magic to return we need to be back in wembley...

Are there any fans of Championship Teams in here??

11. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has suspended all matches indefinitely after a policeman was killed at a Serie A match between Catania and Palermo. (BBC).

Officer Filippo Raciti died as violence flared during the Sicilian derby.
    The FIGC has called off all this weekend's professional and amateur games, and also cancelled Italy's friendly with Romania on Wednesday.
    Commissioner Luca Pancalli said: "What we're witnessing has nothing to do with football, so Italian football is stopping."
    According to reports, 38-year-old Raciti was struck in the face by a small explosive while attempting to deal with fighting outside the stadium.
    He was taken to hospital but died from his injuries.
    Pancalli had warned earlier this week that more violence would bring a halt to league matches after clashes between supporters and police in several cities last Sunday.
    "One day is not sufficient," Pancalli added after proceeding with his threat. "Without drastic measures, we cannot play again.
    "We will immediately set up a commission to discuss the situation between sport and politics. It's not possible to carry on like this."
    Catania, fifth in Serie A, against Palermo, who are third, was given an early kick-off time on Friday because of fears over public safety.
    Prior to the start, a minute's silence had been held following the death of a club official from lower league club Sammartinese last weekend.
    But the match was suspended after an hour when tear gas, used by police to break up the fighting outside the ground, drifted onto the field.
    The fighting, reported ANSA news agency, was because Palermo fans could not get into Catania's Stadio Massimino until the second half.
    The two teams fled the pitch for the dressing-room, with the game suspended for 30 minutes.
    After the match, fans continued to fight running battles with police on the streets outside the stadium and around a hundred people were treated for injuries, while dozens with lesser injuries were taken to local hospitals.
    Another police officer is also believed to be in a critical condition.

12. CraneFalconGCR

CraneFalconGCR Witness

Derby day today, was most pleased with the result thought Everton were going to get battered to be honest. Bellamy's goal was definitly offside and Johnson really should have done better with his chance against Reina. Overall a point will suit Everton better than Liverpool. Happy dayz.

13. Footyliz

Footyliz Coroner

Liverpool fan, not so happy dayz!! Yeah we needed more than a point really but I would say a draw was a fair result! Bellamy was offside, and Carragher actully did really well to put Johnson off I thought!

Can't believe Ronaldo yesterday the guy blatantly dived, won a penalty and all the analysts on match of the day two just glossed over it, like they were scared to accuse him...the guy is a cheat ( a brilliant player, I'll give you) but a cheat...have the guts to say it boys :rolleyes:

14. CraneFalconGCR

CraneFalconGCR Witness

In all honesty yes a draw was probably a fair result we both had chances to win it but neither side converted their best chances. I thought Johnson was too slow getting his shot off but well its been and gone now and we have to look forward to the next match.

Ronaldo is a great player but he should cut out the diving its ruining his chances of becoming a superb player.

15. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I can't believe how horrible problems Italy has with the football and especially with the fans :eek:

I think it's horrible when people start to behave like that when it's about sports!