Critic’s opinion thread for RP's

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by twiztid4togo, Jan 21, 2007.

1. twiztid4togo

twiztid4togo Coroner

This thread has been approved by Sissi. Thanks.

This thread is where you become the critic for all the rp's in here. This is the place to post your thoughts about any of the rp's in this section. When you post your comments in an rp thread it interrupts the story. Here is your chance to voice your opinions of what you are reading and let the people doing the writing know how they are doing. This will help the writers know if they are doing a good job. It will also let them know if they need to improve in any areas. This will also help the Mods see what rp’s are working

Also, it gives the RPGs more thread space. The 1000 posts a thread are easily reached if people keep posting one-lined comments throughout the story.

Of course there are a few rules that need to be followed.
    PLease read the rules carefully and follow them.

Rules

1) Don’t just shout out: “This RP rocks!” Or: “This story sucks!” As stated in the board rules you need to back up things you say with reasons why. This helps the writers as well, as they can improve those points (or not, if it’s positive)

2) Be mature about your comments. It’s no use to anyone if your comments don’t make sense. This means NO flaming and No bashing! If it’s a story line about a ship you don’t like, don’t post a comment saying: “This ships sucks, I hate it!” Just don’t post a comment at all. No character bashing either. That means no saying: “I hate Natalia, she needs to leave!” As said before, if you don’t like it, don’t comment on it.

3) No chatting. This is a board, not a chat box. This is for opinions and ideas for Rp's. Keep on topic of the RP you are posting about.

4) If you comment on a RPG, please comment on the WHOLE RPG, and not just one person. If you want to comment on one person’s behaviour in a RPG, do it by PM. Rather post: “I think this RPG is great, because…” than: “I think (fill in name) is doing great in this RPG, because…” This way you prevent feelings from getting hurt. Even if you don’t mean it badly, misunderstandings are easily created.

5) Before you post your comment, put the name of the RPG you are commenting on in bold letters above your comment. That way it’s clear whom you’re talking to, and everyone will understand.

2. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

Re: Critic’s opinion thread for RP's and Fics

Please post constructive criticism, show me how smart and brillant all of you are, show me that you can be respectfull towards the others members.
    This way i will so proud of you all, even more than i am now (if it's that possible ;) )

3. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

I'm confused, why is there a seperate thread for this? Do you not want us to give reviews in fics anymore?

4. Joe

Joe Witness

The RP I am going to talk about is the TRIAL RP. The Trial RP I would have to give a thumbs down. Everyone goes in their own direction, not taking the ques given to them by others posts. Some many different people post so many different things about their own deal, that it takes away from the story. Most of the posts don't generally make the 3 line requirement. Also a spell checker is something that they must have missed.

The next RP I am going to talk about is the TALLEIGH RP. This RP gets two thumbs up. Ideas are discussed among the members before posting. Even though there are mistakes here and there for the most part the participants post off of the ques left to them by other people. They're story flows and is easy to read. The posts are almost always sizeable ones with no need of falling short of the 3 line rule. The storyline is always continuing as the posts continue, usually not varying from that. The time spent on the storyline reflects on the quality of the RP.

The third RP I am going to talk about is the CARWASH RP. This RP also gets two thumbs up. This RP along with the Talleigh RP is run how an RP should be run. Everyone works with everyone else building from the ques left by others. The ideas for the storyline are discussed among the members of this RP before they are posted. The storyline is indepth and easy to read. The amount of talent in that RP is amazing. Everything flows, not leaving any holes in the story. The posts are nicely sized also not falling short of the three line rule. The amount of work that is put into this RP shows in the quality of it. This along with the Talleigh RP are the top of the RP world.

5. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

You know, at first I didn't like this thread, but now I have the uncontrollable urge to commend one rp that I think does an excellent job.

Talligh rp needs some sort of recognition. I mean, not only are they the people you'll ever meet, but they are a blast to rp with. Their posts are in-depth and give lots of description, and emotion. They posts lengthy posts, which makes it a joy to read, and very VERY easy to work off of. They stay in character all the time, and portray them well. I think they are excellent roleplayers, along with everyone else here at the boards *huggles all of you*

As an addition, I feel the Trial RP is not up to par. As most of you know I left the rp on a count of the fact that it was very disorganized. It is not the fault of any one person, the talent and potential is there, but it's just the fact that there are so many people and pairings and other things going on that it makes it hard to read. I don't actually think it's anyones fault, it's just the fact that there are too many characters, and with a rp like that, it has always been the case. Everyone would have to be like, famous novel writers or something to make that work. So many characters creates conflicting storylines, and often things get confused and POOF uh oh. So yeah, the rp is in dissarray, but really who or what is to blame?

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Trial RP I'm annoyed from time to time by the sometimes OOCness in the Trial RP. I just hope as I always do that I've been staying in character for my part. I am guilty of not making the three lines now and then but lately have been trying to be sure I do make it. I do however sometimes find it hard to know what to post and wind up like "ack how do I get unstuck?" lol I hope I'm not missing the tidbits in other posts as clues.

7. Bullet_Girl

Bullet_Girl Coroner

I must commend the new GSR RP as a start, there are a few first timers on there and they're doing a brilliant job, just as good as some of the more experienced players, like Waiting, Wyoming and myself. I have only done a few, but I, like most people are quick learners and end up very talented people.

I'm afraid I have to comment on the Trial RP too. I took over the role of Alyssa to try and smooth things out, and while I think I may have a tiny bit, its not doing much. It is basically (for me) centred around Danny and Lindsay from CSI:NY not that I mind, Lindsay being my primary role on there, but I thnik something needs to be done.

EDIT: And I am sorry to mention I forgot the Talleigh RP. It was my first RP and I'm proud of it, I think it is going very well and I don't have any complaints about it at all! Its very easy to follow, big posts (except for mine which I feel guilty for but I am woring on! :p ) which are very interesting and everything seems to be going right. Great job Talleigh RP'ers! :)

8. CSIVegasMiamiNY

CSIVegasMiamiNY Pathologist

Trial RP

Yeah, Im in this one as well, and not to bash anyone, as thats mean and unnecessary but it is very unorganized, and lots of new ideas being introduced, and although the writers rock, it really needs to be better oraginsed, and maybe have us actually go to trial, and keep the shippy kind of posts to a 1 per day thing maybe, if at all. General flirtation, fine, but we're talking about a trial of a CSI who tried to kill his fellow CSI's, not the CSI dating agency. And thats coming from the person that plays Flack, who is paired with Sofia. Again, not trying to sound harsh, but its coming from someone who's actually RPing there.

~xJemmax~

ETA-The Talliegh RP rocks though, very organized and great writers and ideas! Very good RP IMO

9. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Trial RP

Okay, I know there are a lot of thoughts on this thread, and not all positive, but we're all here to help right? :) So I'd like to add my thoughts on it as well. I've been through a few pages, and I've noticed a lot of 'coaching' other members through the storylines. This is great, and shows a terrific participation and dedication to the story and it's writers, but the often one-lined posts between brackets really does interrupt the story, and reveals that the writers aren't really sure what to do. (Which is probably a main reason why this thread was created)

I know that there are some first-time RPers in that thread, and there are some more experienced RPers who are more than happy to help. :) One thing I would suggest is instead of posting "Not sure what to do next" or "I'm a little stumped, give me some more time to think of something", the writer with these thoughts might want to come back until they have something a little more substantial to contribute from their character to the story. It might slow down the plot, but if someone is only writing just to move the story along, the entire purpose of the RP goes down the drain. It's supposed to be fun and doesn't have to be a race to the finish line. ;) But equally, don't abandon the story if you're having trouble. (Not that this is happening, though.)

Also, instead of posting the comments perhaps said person could PM another more experienced RPer in that thread, and ask for some advice. PMs are often easier as the readers/writers won't see the RP being interrupted, and it may boost the confidence level if not everyone knows right off the bat that said poster doesn't know what to do. Talking with others is a great way to improve writing skills and become an effective RPer. (Along with that also comes creativity and the confidence to be able to write your character. Obviously if you gained a character from an audition, you're able to write for that character. Don't put yourselves down so much when you're not sure what to write!)

So I'd say the main areas that need improvement in my opinion, are the various interruptions in the RP and the lack of confidence from some of the more inexperienced RPers. It makes for a very unorganized RP. But there is so much potential from everyone there, and if things go the way that is being discussed in that RP, (Returning to the plot, dialing down the shipping) it could turn out to be a very exciting story. :)

10. greggoooo_fan

greggoooo_fan Police Officer

the RP i want to say something about, is THE TRIAL RP. i agree with CSIVegasMiamiNY, i have the same opinion. the RP is too much about shipping, but the trial goes on! we have calleigh and horatio, danny and lindsay (obvious) sofia and flack (i like to pair them up, but not in a too shippy way) and the pairings just don't stop! i don't mind if people just put one shippy kiss or anything in their posts, but it annoys me that the story line is kinda fading away because of it. so agreed, i think there should be more attention for the REAL STORY LINE, then the shippings.. and i'm not mad at anyone, or anything, but it's just my opinion ;)

11. Joe

Joe Witness

Another RP I would like to see commented on and I will comment on is the SNICKER'S RP. I know that it's still in the baby stages, but I think that it has serious pontential to it. I think that with the talent there (excluding myself) that RP is going to be pretty good. So I would like to tip my hat to those of you who are members of the Snicker's RP. Very good job to you, and here to a good RP.

12. dr_heather_ssj

dr_heather_ssj Victim

Re: Critic’s opinion thread for RP's and Fics *DELETED*

Post deleted by dr_heather_ssj

13. CSIVegasMiamiNY

CSIVegasMiamiNY Pathologist

Um, that would go in the request thread, this is for giving constructive critisim (sp?) for RPs

~xJemmax~

14. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

If you keep deleting your post , i'm gonna get angry at you...

15. dr_heather_ssj

dr_heather_ssj Victim

but i dont know were to put it :confused: