You Talk Funny!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BittenByTheWolfe, Feb 21, 2005.

1. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

LOL

I have to really concentrate when I listen to Mika Hakkinen talk, i can only make out every other word lol

In my part of the world the accent is a Lancashire accent......just think Peter Kay and your half way there although I'm not as broad as him lol

Its called RP I think, Renounced Pronunciation....the only people who speak RP nowadays is the Queen and her Family and the Arisotcracy (sp)

Being from Britain, I know exactly where someone is from in the UK as soon as they open their gob

I'm quite dense with the American accent. I can tell a New York accent though, for instance when I watch Miami I knew Khandi Alexander and Boti Bliss were both New Yorkers from the accents before I checked up on imdb.com. I can tell a southern American accent aswell, but thats as far as I go. I can't even tell the different between American and Canadian, well apart from French Canadian.

With Irish accents, I think only the Dublin accent is sexy...like Colin Farrel, Ronan Keating etc, the West Country Irish accent is a nightmare to understand and not very sexy at all lol

2. rockstahgreggo

rockstahgreggo Civilian

lolz that's freaking awsome ^^ i talk really fast to but thats just because im REALLY hyper and omg!!! i FINALLY got season 1and 2 of csi!!!!!!!!

3. vexus

vexus Pathologist

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^I have Philly accent :p Sorry, I just wanted to test :lol:

5. vexus

vexus Pathologist

I'm from Georgia, born and raised and never lived anywhere else.

Apparently I have a midland accent (Pennsyvania, Ohio, northern accent)

I don't understand that!

6. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

I think most normal people do :lol: :p

7. carlz31

carlz31 Coroner

Apparently I have a Northeast accent from New York and Jersey...maybe Australian accents do sound like Jersey accents :p :lol:

8. draig_goch

draig_goch Lab Technician

Its awsome for us welsh 'cause we can undestand eachother but English people seem to have a problem wih the accent when were in full swing lol, and beeing a welsh speaker welsh words get mixed up with english because i dont know the english world also welsh words are used in everyday speech by english speakers, in south wales we speak Wenglish lol :lol:

9. Fool4love

Fool4love Police Officer

I am an English girl who will hopefully be going to university in Wales in September, and i'm really worried that i won't be able to understand people who have a strong Welsh accent. I guess i'm going to have to learn Welsh. Which kinda sucks because i'm really not goods at learning new languages.

10. draig_goch

You dont have to learn welsh it is the occasional word like we call small children "bach" = little one only the odd words are welsh.
    And the accent after a couple of weeks you will be used to it and we realise people dont always understand us so if we are talking to someone new who is not from that area in Wales or Wales we slow our speech down :lol:

11. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

:lol: I get that as well, even though I come from the far west coast in Canada. I've never been to those areas as well.

Apparently when I speak in Greek or say places in Greece I have a Greek accent. I guess I picked it up from my relatives & parents after spending roughly 20.5 years with them since they all hail from Greece, not Canada like me. When I speak English words I have no accent though...

12. Kiwi_kid

Kiwi_kid Hit and Run

See to you and the people who live in the same part of Canada as you, you may not have an accent, but to the rest of the world you will have a Canadian accent. (to be fair the only way I can tell the difference between Canadians from BC and Americans from upper East coast is that Canadians say 'oat and a-boat' instead of 'ouut and abouut') Everyone has an accent you just don't notice it when you are used to it. My husband didn't realise that his Mum has an English accent until one of his school friends pointed it out to him when he was a kid, to him she just sounded like his mum.
    I never realised I had an accent until I left the country and everyone kept asking me to say random words... today it was mandarin, I mean hello that sounds funny no matter how you talk!

13. draig_goch

I open my mouth and say a sentance and evrybody shouts she's welsh she's welsh lol :lol:

14. athens

athens Coroner

I am not American and english is not my language so I don't think I have an accent ;)..

from the test..the midland :rolleyes:..